shape
carat
color
clarity

Any tips for buying an oval diamond online?

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
I know there's no set standards for ovals, but any advice on minimizing the bowtie? I'm considering the following stone. Should I be worried about the somewhat shallow depth and the extremely thick girdle? Will this affect light return? The picture doesn't seem to show much of a bowtie though.

2.01ct F VS2
Measurements: 10.21*6.87*4.10
Depth: 59.7%
Table: 54.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Very thick to extremely thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ratio: 1.49

Picture1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can this vendor give you an asset image of the oval?

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to check, but that would require them to have the diamond shipped in. I don't want to go to the expense is the numbers look bad, you know? Any thoughts?

Melanie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a JA stone? I thought if they had a picture that it was an in-house stone (but I guess I could be wrong).

I found a set of numbers for ovals (only checked table and depth) and the numbers for this stone fall into the ranges.
The only bad thing I have ever heard (someone else could comment on this) about extremely thick gridle is that it
hides weight.

numbers link to look at:
http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

One thing about the picture that bothers me (but it could be a function of the picture and not the stone) is the blurry
faceting pattern under the table. Could mean there is leakage??? or could mean that its just not a well taken picture.

Stone-cold should come a long at some point and comment. He can usually tell more from just looking at pictures.
As you probably already know its not easy to pick (or find) nice ovals. I'm just hesitant to say yea or nay on this one.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't even consider it without an ASET image. If you are serious about the stone you might consider asking them to bring it in for a pic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA stones are not technically in house, but if there is a photo it means it is really close to them and they can get an ASET for your within a few days, usually, and there is no charge up to a certain number.

Can't help otherwise...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D said:
JA stones are not technically in house, but if there is a photo it means it is really close to them and they can get an ASET for your within a few days, usually, and there is no charge up to a certain number.

Can't help otherwise...

There you go...I would request an aset. I think they will give you up to 3 different stones without charging (from what
I've heard). Might want to ask them.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
Ok...I got some more information from JA. Not too sure about the ASET image on it. Any thoughts? Should I keep looking?

M500aset.jpg

M500sarinAv.jpg

M500sarinData.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think keep looking. That is one massive crown. ASET looks like a lot of leakage under the table.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results