shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on how to figure out what pearl stud size is right for you?

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
I know that with diamonds, for example, I like about a 5.5 mm size on myself for everyday. No idea how to know what I might like with pearls since I've never worn them and they seem to look a lot more three dimensional versus diamond studs. High quality Ayoka studs seem like a worthy investment that I could wear a lot, but I want to get the size right. I bought some fake pearls in 4 mm-8 mm sizes on Amazon, but if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
In my horrifically unscientific, I-do-not-know-how-this-got-in-my-head-but-it-seemed-to-work thought process, I would say that a pair of every day pearls would be about 1.5- 2mm larger than my every day diamond studs.

Because I consider pearls to be more subdued, in my mind, that allows them to be larger than my diamonds, but not so large as to draw attention from my face.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What'd you think of the sizes of the fakies?

My personal opinon is generally that bigger is better :lol:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
For everyday pearl studs when I don't have makeup on or don't want to be noticed, 8-9 mm pearl studs for me. I don't like them smaller than that at all.

When I have makeup on and hair done, 10-11mm studs. I have learned this by trial and error.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my horrifically unscientific, I-do-not-know-how-this-got-in-my-head-but-it-seemed-to-work thought process, I would say that a pair of every day pearls would be about 1.5- 2mm larger than my every day diamond studs.

Because I consider pearls to be more subdued, in my mind, that allows them to be larger than my diamonds, but not so large as to draw attention from my face.
I never thought about this but you're dead on for me, 1.5-2mm bigger than my diamonds! (And definitely not smaller than my diamonds!)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have all different sizes depending on the occasion!

4-5mm Vietnamese akoya- wear to work, better for phone use, more discrete.

7.5mm Hanadama akoya- cheer up any outfit, look amazing, even make my face look better overall!

10mm Freshadama honkers- love these and wear them out a lot, they do weigh a ton, though

I have teeny tiny earlobes and need to buy some bigger earring backs to stop the biggest ones drooping.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise getting cheapo costume ones to try on first to find the right size and shape to your liking.

From a personal perspective, although in theory I can wear very big pearl studs with my big fat earlobes, they protrude too much for my liking with my current hair style.

So my limit for round pearl studs is 10mm.

However, I can wear bigger ones in button shape as they don't protrude as much to make me look like a frog or chameleon.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prioritize luster and get the largest size of high luster studs that are in your budget.

Akoyas don't come larger than 9.5 -10mm, and very high luster studs in that size are very expensive and can be hard to find.

8-8.5mm or 8.5-9mm would probably suit most average ear lobes sizes. They would be more affordable as there would be more of them available in those sizes.

Even smaller pearls may suit you better if you spend a lot of time with your ear pressed to a phone, or if your lobes are especially small.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
For everyday pearl studs when I don't have makeup on or don't want to be noticed, 8-9 mm pearl studs for me. I don't like them smaller than that at all.

When I have makeup on and hair done, 10-11mm studs. I have learned this by trial and error.

10-11mm for work… trial and error too. I don’t like smaller than 10. 5‘7. I think if you are more petite then smaller, and vice versa.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
I would prioritize luster and get the largest size of high luster studs that are in your budget.

Akoyas don't come larger than 9.5 -10mm, and very high luster studs in that size are very expensive and can be hard to find.

8-8.5mm or 8.5-9mm would probably suit most average ear lobes sizes. They would be more affordable as there would be more of them available in those sizes.

Even smaller pearls may suit you better if you spend a lot of time with your ear pressed to a phone, or if your lobes are especially small.

Ty for the feedback! I am looking at the Andrew Moline gem grade ones or possibly his AAAs. Thinking of maybe the 7.5/8s. I’m 5’ 6” and kind of average build. I don’t believe I have small lobes either.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

Oops, I meant to say 11-12mm studs, for the second part there.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I started out with a pair of hanadama akoya studs that were about 7.5mm and didn't wear them much after the newness wore off because they just seemed too small to have any presence, on my ears. I sold them a few years later.

I'd wear the fake pearls you ordered for a bit first and see what you think. Or also get a few pairs of fakes that are larger than the 8mm in your order. I think the only way to know for sure is to try out the different sizes yourself.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think starting with the fakes but going up to at least 10mm will give you a good idea of what you like.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ty for the feedback! I am looking at the Andrew Moline gem grade ones or possibly his AAAs. Thinking of maybe the 7.5/8s. I’m 5’ 6” and kind of average build. I don’t believe I have small lobes either.

I see that @yssie is selling a pair of moline gem studs in that size range. Might be worth checking out her listing! We all know that Yssie has a very discerning eye for pearls!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see that @yssie is selling a pair of moline gem studs in that size range. Might be worth checking out her listing! We all know that Yssie has a very discerning eye for pearls!

Actually she just posted that she has pulled the listing from Loupe Troop. Her thread on Preloved explains why.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
Everyone was right. This is me in the 8 mm. I really like this size, but I wouldn’t want to go much smaller.

Attachments

• 2CE60706-175C-4FE0-92FF-5E16BC646BE5.jpeg
    2CE60706-175C-4FE0-92FF-5E16BC646BE5.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 53

catintern

Rough_Rock
For size I use my ear lobe size as a reference. (which is kind of small). For example, I wear 5mm studs daily. They kind of give my face a lift because they sit perfectly in the center and point upwards. When I'm wearing my 7-8mm studs it points more laterally which looks more dramatic. So far I haven't ordered anything about 8mm, but if they're going to droop downward on my ear I'd rather get dangles for a lengthening effect. I think larger sizes can make people look a little older.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Everyone was right. This is me in the 8 mm. I really like this size, but I wouldn’t want to go much smaller.

Ok I think you can try bigger and see how you like it. Maybe up to 11mm…

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could go bigger if you like how it looks! But 8mm is great. I like a smaller pearl. Here’s my best shot of my 7mm studs. D4F9EB6B-9EBD-437C-B7A9-AAFEFDCFA40B.jpeg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I always say that you can wear whatever you want. Preferences change over time too.
(but if you are worried about pearls being too big, consider buttons - around half the pearl in weight but plenty of diameter and often superb luster. Far cheaper too)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results