shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Runners Who Can Help Me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Healthy Lifestyle folks :)

I have a quick question for you runners out there if you don''t mind.

I''ve recently started running. I am generally not a healthy/fit person and about 8 weeks ago my DH and I began participating in a "Learn to Run" clinic at a local running store. Basically, it is a Couch to 5K type plan (starts with 1 minute running/2 minutes walking and works up over 10 weeks to 10 minutes running/1 minute walking intervals).

At first I didn''t do the practice runs in between the classes (which are once a week) and was fine - once I hit 4 minutes of running and one minute of walking, I almost died.

I started doing practice runs after that!!

So now I am running at least three times a week. My heart and lungs feel fine generally, but for some reason, as SOON as I start running, my leg muscles (quads and calves) and my glutes feel like they seize up. They feel like that sometimes for the entire run, and sometimes it gets better as the run progresses.

I don''t run fast. I don''t run up hills. While I am not super fit, I am not super heavy either (in that I don''t think it should be so strenuous on my body to run a bit now that my cardio is decent).

Any suggestions? Could it be diet? Dehydration?

TIA!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
First off, congrats to you for starting a new running routine! I''m a half-marathoner and love to hear when people get into running - it''s such a personal sport because there is so much independence and sense of self-achievement.

As for your legs, my guess is they are just a bit weak and are still gaining stamina. If you''ve never been a runner, then your leg muscles just aren''t used to being flexed consistently at the same pace for an extended period of time. It takes time for muscles to get used to running for longer and longer periods of time - exactly why the practice/training runs are important and why runners work up to distances instead of just going out and deciding to run 10 miles one day.

I have no doubt that they should feel better as you continue to run and stretch and listen to your body. Perhaps start a yoga class to help with strength, stretching and stamina. I have found that yoga once per week helps my muscles not ache after runs.

Good luck!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you are like a typical runner (of any level or ability) then you probably don''t stretch. I''m not one to give advice really because i don''t stretch either - but then again, I use my first 1-2 miles as a "warm up"... and stretch when I''m done.

Now, if you''re starting out, I''d recommend doing the equivalent of 400-800 meters depending on your ability (and how far you intend on running that day) and then stretch. That will get you nice and warm. 400-800 meters is .25-.5 mile. If you are running at a leisurely pace, this is approximately 5 minutes or so. Now, for those that aren''t going the distance, this is VERY VERY important.

A Runner overdevelops their hamstrings, as they are used more in running that the legs. Which is why the old joke holds true that runners just can''t touch their toes. It isn''t a good thing. BUt most runners are very anal. Don''t like the nitty gritty, are very "type a" and like to get to business.

What you''re describing sounds like the issue that just deals with the mechanics of running. You''ll need to go at a slower than usual pace to get you nice and warm - this is 5 minutes. Then you''ll need to stretch. Yup, try to touch your toes... and all the other stretches. If you hate stretching, this is hard, and often ignored because grrr, stretching doesn''t burn calories... is boring and tedious, and nobody every brags about doing stretches for 20 minutes. Right? The thing is, it doesn''t have to be a lot, but do try to stretch each a minimum of 10-15 seconds each part... this should help you when you are running so that you don''t hurt yourself, and that you may actually run better by avoiding this issue.

Also, new runners tend to overhydrate during the activity. The trick is to stay hydrated throughout the day.

Good luck to you, and have fun. Running is an excellent community of nutjobs.
16.gif
But we''re fun group of wacko''s! And not AS gross as the Tri community!
2.gif
You think I''m kidding... you know how many non-pro triathletes actually pee themselves on purpose? Well anywho, Congrats to you, and maybe I''ll see you on the roads!
35.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Megumic and tlh - that is really helpful. I guess I assumed that after all this time, it couldn''t possibly be that my legs are just weak. I guess they take some time to catch up to my cardio level eh?

I also don''t stretch until the end but I will try the 5 minute in stretch and see how it helps. It makes sense since sometimes I actually feel better after I''ve been running for a bit!

I still haven''t developed a love for it - I am running during the week because the Friday running class is too painful if I haven''t prepped. I hope the love comes soon, because I''d like to have something that I liked doing and that kept me fit!

How did you two get into running and stay with it?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would highly recommend taking a look at some of the real research (and I''m not talking about Fitness magazine, here) on stretching before you add stretching into your routine. I''m not a professional so I can''t offer advice, only a reminder to look towards research before you make any changes.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi October,

I just got into running as well. My SO ran his first marathon in October and being there and supporting him kind of motivated me. Anyway, I had the same EXACT problem when I first started. It was like my calves just seized up and became hard as a rock with sharp pain shooting through them.

The more I run, the less of a problem this becomes so my guess is just building up the strength helps because even though your legs may have been strong to begin with, they might not have been used to this particular movement over and over.

My one piece of advice is to invest in some good running shoes. If you have a running store near you, have them suggest a few pairs for you. Typically, they have you jog for them and they look at how your feet move. They really do make a difference!

ETA - Just wanted to add that even my SO who runs around 15-20 miles a week (now that he's done training for the marathon) doesn't actually LOVE the running part. For him, it's more about the accomplishment. For me it's the same way, even though the accomplishments are smaller.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others - it''s probably just beginner soreness. In addition to stretching, I''d suggest simply running more. Running didn''t get comfortable for me until I was running consistently 3 days a week for about 4 weeks. Then it started to be funnnnn and a lot easier. I definitely ditto the suggestion on the running shoes - although I am guessing since you''re taking a class at the local running store, they prob. fitted you for shoes already. Keep at it - running is awesome!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I did get fit for the right shoes, so at least that part is good. When I started my feet got quite sore but now they are pretty good.

I''m glad it sounds like it is just beginner sore-ness and that it will get better - I can''t wait for that part!!

I have my clinic tonight - 8 minutes of running, one minute of walking for 3 sets I think. Yikes!! Wish me luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results