shape
carat
color
clarity

Any other runners out there?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a 6 miler on the agenda today. It's 31 degrees. Brrr…... :o I may have to bust out the ninja face mask. :lol: My 8 year old has recently started running with me. She's up to 3 miles and has run one 5k so far….

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sox! I just did 6 miles this morning. Are you training for anything? Yeah 31 is effin' cold. Bring handwarmers. Where r u located? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was about 57 this morning at 5:45. My 8 year old daughter wants nothing to do with running. awesome that your daughter wants to run with you. My 11 year old son likes to do triathlons. Different as night and day.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1384271875|3555160 said:
Hi Sox! I just did 6 miles this morning. Are you training for anything? Yeah 31 is effin' cold. Bring handwarmers. Where r u located? I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was about 57 this morning at 5:45. My 8 year old daughter wants nothing to do with running. awesome that your daughter wants to run with you. My 11 year old son likes to do triathlons. Different as night and day.

Hi! This month I have a 10k and a 5k. I'm really slow, though. I think my best time for any of my races was a nine minute mile. :lol: I am in New Hampshire.

headed out with my balaclava, gloves, and fleece tights! :lol:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I run, and I do sprint tris. Im sloooow on the run. Last race I did was a 10k road in September and a 200 mile relay race (12 person team) then. August was OCRs and sprint tri.
Ive taken Oct and Nov off besides a few treadmill miles here and there (not my norm, but Im in grad school and THIS close to pulling out my hair with that and a redo of some living space.)

Id like to conquer a 1/2 iron once Im done with grad school, but Im super scared of bombing on the swim. I train in a pool and I still have trouble on the open water swim in a sprint.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I try to be a runner. I've done a full marathon and several 1/2s...plus an Olympic distance tri. That was brutal- it was in November in the SF bay with 53 degree water temps. Burrrr.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NTave|1384276340|3555200 said:
I run, and I do sprint tris. Im sloooow on the run. Last race I did was a 10k road in September and a 200 mile relay race (12 person team) then. August was OCRs and sprint tri.
Ive taken Oct and Nov off besides a few treadmill miles here and there (not my norm, but Im in grad school and THIS close to pulling out my hair with that and a redo of some living space.)

Id like to conquer a 1/2 iron once Im done with grad school, but Im super scared of bombing on the swim. I train in a pool and I still have trouble on the open water swim in a sprint.

I do sprint tris too. But in a lake. If I had to swim in the ocean, I'd cry. :lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80|1384276477|3555201 said:
I try to be a runner. I've done a full marathon and several 1/2s...plus an Olympic distance tri. That was brutal- it was in November in the SF bay with 53 degree water temps. Burrrr.

I've done 8 halfs, but I don't think I can handle a full. Whenever I get to the end of a half, I think to myself "could I have kept running and done another?" And the answer is always "hells no!" :lol:

53 degree water? OMG! :shock:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I'm a runner on hiatus right now. I was running half marathons at a rate of 2-3 per year leading up to my wedding in June of 2011 (for a total of 6, plus some other 8Ks and ten milers), but then stopped and haven't picked racing back up because I just haven't had the desire to train. I recently got interested in getting back into the swing of it in preparation for a few races in 2014, but I've started having some knee problems (persistent grinding) and may also be dealing with a bout of trochantic bursitis, so basically I'm just a mess. :???:

I can't handle the cold, either, thanks to some residual asthma, so it's treadmill for me in the winter, which I hate. But, I'm going to hopefully start PT soon for the knee problems, and hopefully I'll be cleared for a late spring race!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to get back to running. I think I have some underlying fear issues going on. I had a major back injury in 2009 followed by a torn rotate cuff. I am terrified of bringing more pain to my body. I am thinking I need to just sign up for a 5k and then sign up for something again and again to keep me motivated.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to see so many runners here!! Running is the one thing that I get more obsessed about than bling, if I'm training for a race. Awesome to see triathletes too. I've wanted to do one, but since I can't swim to save my life, that makes it hard. Triathletes look like they are having so much fun. My girlfriend just did the full ironman in Lake Tahoe in September. She killed the running leg. 3:20 marathon! Crazy!!!

VC and dragonfly, hope you both get better and feel healthy soon. I hate being injured. Just means I need to find other outlets for my neurosis.

I qualified for Boston 2014 and I'm so excited. I will be running with a friend who didn't finish because of the bombing. I also just did Marine Corp marathon in DC. It was an amazing experience.

Hope to keep hearing about people's running. Just being out there is what's important. Just being healthy enough to run. :wavey:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1384282496|3555274 said:
Great to see so many runners here!! Running is the one thing that I get more obsessed about than bling, if I'm training for a race. Awesome to see triathletes too. I've wanted to do one, but since I can't swim to save my life, that makes it hard. Triathletes look like they are having so much fun. My girlfriend just did the full ironman in Lake Tahoe in September. She killed the running leg. 3:20 marathon! Crazy!!!

VC and dragonfly, hope you both get better and feel healthy soon. I hate being injured. Just means I need to find other outlets for my neurosis.

I qualified for Boston 2014 and I'm so excited. I will be running with a friend who didn't finish because of the bombing. I also just did Marine Corp marathon in DC. It was an amazing experience.

Hope to keep hearing about people's running. Just being out there is what's important. Just being healthy enough to run. :wavey:

WOW! Boston? That's awesome! Congrats! I have a few friends who ran the Marine Corp marathon. They loved it. How does "qualifying" work? Do you automatically get it in or is it a lottery? I hate being injured too. I may or may not have cried because I missed a local 7 mile race with shin splints. :roll:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VC and dragonfly, look into ASTYM physical therapy. I've done it twice now. It's amazing! I hope you aren't down for long, I hate being injured!

I also have asthma and my treadmill just died, so I HAVE to run outside. I use a face mask. It works great!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1384283354|3555295 said:
LLJsmom|1384282496|3555274 said:

WOW! Boston? That's awesome! Congrats! I have a few friends who ran the Marine Corp marathon. They loved it. How does "qualifying" work? Do you automatically get it in or is it a lottery? I hate being injured too. I may or may not have cried because I missed a local 7 mile race with shin splints. :roll:

Hey Sox!! I will type a more detailed response tonight. But essentially you need to meet a time requirement based on age and gender. Then you register if you meet that time requirement. They rank all the runners by finishing time within their age and gender bracket and the fastest times get in until they run out of slots. So even if you have a "qualifying time" it doesn't necessarily mean you get in. If other people have faster qualifying times than you, you may not get in. It depends on how fast the field is in a particular field. This year, people that beat their qualify time by 1:38 got in. My buddy ran a 3:14:45 and his qualifying time was 3:15. He did not get in. Heartbreaking!!! I ran a 3:43 and my qualifying time was 3:45, and I did get in. Crazy!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I run. I only do proper races for charity, such as Cancer Research UK each year, but I head out 3 - 4 mornings a week, doing 30 - 40k a week, dodgy knee & weather permitting. But generally the weather doesn't bother me unless icy or snow.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results