shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on this stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Al3891

Rough_Rock
Radiant
2.58 Carats
G color
SI1 clarity
Polish - Very good
Symetry - Very good
Floesence = None
Dimensions = 7.02 x 8.96 x 4.87
Table = 72%
Depth = 69.4%
Girdle = M
Culet = N
EGL - Israel

To me it looks great and I believe I'm getting a good price, but my main hold up is the EGL certificate. I find it hard to compare prices. What price range should I be paying for this stone? Also, she does want the off-square dimensions (makes the search extra fun... lol).

Thanks so much

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 10:03:12 AM
Author:Al3891
Radiant
2.58 Carats
G color
SI1 clarity
Polish - Very good
Symetry - Very good
Floesence = None
Dimensions = 7.02 x 8.96 x 4.87
Table = 72%
Depth = 69.4%
Girdle = M
Culet = N
EGL - Israel

To me it looks great and I believe I'm getting a good price, but my main hold up is the EGL certificate. I find it hard to compare prices. What price range should I be paying for this stone? Also, she does want the off-square dimensions (makes the search extra fun... lol).

Thanks so much
Hi and welcome!

I don't know if you are familiar with EGL Israel, some experts believe they can be soft on grading, EGL USA is said to be the strongest out of the various EGL labs. More info here - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

If you like this diamond then I would recommend you make the sale final ( and get it in writing) on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal, here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

As to the diamond itself we can't tell much as radiants can't be judged by numbers but need to be seen in person or at least images of the diamond, I take it the diamond is with a store jeweller and not online? Prices, brick and mortar are generally more expensive than online prices, you can do a search using the tool above for other EGL radiants to get an idea, prices given are for online inventory so store prices are usually more.

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ditto on Lorelei''s advice.
This is a significant purchase and a significant stone.
The advice offered is simply a way of making sure you''ll sleep better at night.
The stone may very well be a winner.

Best of luck.

Al3891

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the idea, and the quick response.

To follow up, at what point should I get the appraisal... before the signing of the deal, after signing (and giving something down) but before setting the stone, or after the stone is set?

Thanks

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They may not allow you to do this before, for a number of reasons. This would not be unreasonable.

They may require that you purchase the stone outright and use your return timetable to get it appraised at no risk of having to keep it if the appraisal doesn''t pan out.

Of course, it''s always preferable to get the appraisal done without putting down money first...

Al3891

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip. I''m getting it appraised tomorrow and the salesman had no problems making this type of arrangement (that alone makes me feel better).

Thanks again

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most welcome, I am glad Judah and I were able to help - let us know how you get on!

Al3891

Rough_Rock
Update

Appraiser said GIA would probably say color H clarity SI1. Best yet I''m like 20% below the median retail price and even a few hundred below what the median wholesale would be.

Thanks for the better sleep at night.
12.gif

Diamondal3891.jpg

Al3891

Rough_Rock
Maybe a not so grainy pic...

3.gif

Diamondal38912.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2009 5:04:29 PM
Author: Al3891
Update

Appraiser said GIA would probably say color H clarity SI1. Best yet I''m like 20% below the median retail price and even a few hundred below what the median wholesale would be.

Thanks for the better sleep at night.
12.gif
Thanks for the update and congrats!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results