shape
carat
color
clarity

any of your acquaintances thinks that....

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are sporting fake jewelry?... :bigsmile:

usnwife

Rough_Rock
Probably. ;))

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Yes. An orderly told me my ring was pretty, and asked me if I brought it at Swarovski. And a nurse on my floor asked me if I had ordered my Louis Vuitton purse online, from China. I said no to both, although I did elaborate that I had purchased the purse at the LV store in Montreal. So not only fake ring, but also fake purse.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh yes, I have a few "friends" that believe I own fakes. They can't possibly imagine the idea of someone having anything better than theirs. One of which called me out on FB after we got back from GOG last year saying that I mustve bought in Chinatown. I briefly pasted the appraisal and link to my stone before she replied "i was just joking" and I said "bs" and deleted the whole thing AND her off my friends list.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure. I've never asked and most have no reason to comment.

I was at a meeting about a week ago and walking through London's jewellery district with two colleagues. One knows about my little habit and was joking about having to drag me away from shops. The other I was with commented that she noticed that I seemed to be wearing a different ring every time she saw me. I just laughed and said that it was a bit of a habit. Both colleagues are friends so it was all friendly.

A couple of years ago, a colleague asked me if my ring was real. I asked real what and pointed out that it was real, she could see it. She said by real she meant real silver. I said no, it wasn't. I'm not sure what ring I was wearing, but it wasn't a silver one. This was asked by a nosy woman who I wouldn't consider to be a friend.

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
No.

But I had it happen the other way around. I jokingly told my coworkers and friends that my purse is fake. No one believed me :roll:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1330993490|3141399 said:
Ugh yes, I have a few "friends" that believe I own fakes. They can't possibly imagine the idea of someone having anything better than theirs. One of which called me out on FB after we got back from GOG last year saying that I mustve bought in Chinatown. I briefly pasted the appraisal and link to my stone before she replied "i was just joking" and I said "bs" and deleted the whole thing AND her off my friends list.
:-o :lol:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only one that has said something to my face is more of a frenemy. When I got engaged she demanded "jokingly" that I scratch my ring against a mirror to prove it's legitimacy. I was flabbergasted. She later took my hand and attempted to do it for me. She was drunk, buuuut she should have known better.

I'm young so I understand the doubtfulness. When I wear a different ring my boss always says, "Is that another diamond?! Wow!" I don't think she means anything by it. She's a jewelry fanatic, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1330995179|3141426 said:
ame|1330993490|3141399 said:
:-o :lol:
She seriously has some balls. She has tried to refriend me three times since, but ohterwise makes zero effort to contact me. She has my phone number, can come by any time, and has three email addresses for me, yet only on FB will she make any effort to make a connection. Screw her.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
When I first got engaged, we were at a family gathering. My 8-year-old niece asked if my ering was real. It's not even that big. :lol: I wasn't offended as she was young at the time.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am 100% sure of it...and it was a lunch table discussion... Someone told me about! :nono:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. A few of the women are really into jewellry and are eager for any and all details about any new piece that enters the office, so we get to enjoy and share the specs! We all have the scoop on what we all own! It's kind of neat to be able to share with like minded people :))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, someone asked me that one! I can't even remember what I said now?? It was a client, so I probably was polite!

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Probably :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either that, or they are bemoaning my expensive taste and ridiculous, over-the-top spending! Can't win, so who cares?!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

A colleague asked me if my (old) 1.5 RB was "real". I replied "well it isn't an illusion"!. Anyway, we are good friends and I don't really care what people think. (or say, even to my face!) :bigsmile: bah

cheers--Sharon

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Yes, they do.

I have a beautiful 1ct 5 stone band that almost everyone thinks is fake. I got it when I was 19 and of course everyone knows that young coloured girls with afros can't possibly afford to wear superblingy white and sparkly 1ct 5 stone rings. Must be fake. :roll:

I recently had an old .24 diamond set in a silver bezel. A colleague complimented me on it and asked if I had bought it at Woolworths. :roll:

My jewellery is actually quite modest but I tend to gravitate towards white metals and larger stones and people in my small town are used to low carat yellow gold and tiny stones set in illusion settings... Also, my diamonds are considered "too sparkly to be real".

I hear this a lot and I wish I had a really good come back. Madam Bijoux's "everything of mine is real" comes to mind, but I don't think I'd ever be able to pull it off!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Anyone who KNOWS me, knows my jewelry is real. :tongue: They've all heard me dribble on and on about this, that, and the other, and many have asked me to bring some of my stones in to work, etc for them to see. However, one girl at work who doesn't seem to really care for me was quick to point at my new engagement ring and declare, "No one's gonna think that's real!" with a smirk on her face. Whatevs. :rolleyes:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope! But while in Niagara falls a young girl working a counter did ask, then grabbed my hand :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who know me (even just superficially as in acquaintances) know my jewelry is real. I don't know what others (people I pass on the street/in a store/subway/etc) think.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't think anybody has ever been rude enough to ask me.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I honestly don't care if they do or not. I know that all my jewels are real and that's all that matters to me.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
A friend of mine told me shortly after she got engaged that someone sitting near her in a class asked if her ~0.5ct engagement ring was real. Of course, this same friend also recently commented to me that an acquaintance's 1.5ct ering was soooo ridiculously huge. :rolleyes:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think maybe regional norms play into people thinking its real or not real. If yours is bigger than the norm people may assume its fake- if it seems smaller or average thy prob don't. In my area a bigger stone is pretty normal so it would prob have I be fairly large to elicit a response of thinking it's fake.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think age also has a lot to do with it. I wasn't quite the first of my friends to get engaged, but I do recall asking my close friend if hers was real. Not in a serious way and not in mean way, it just slipped out. Hers was a beautiful 3 stone emerald cut, I'm not sure of carat weight, but within the norms of what my others at my college in the US were spotting. I'd guess 1.5 carat total weight. It was just shocking, I suppose. She came back from a weekend away and was engaged. I said "wow, is that real?" I don't even think I meant real diamond, just real engagement ring. In a is this happening way.

In DH's circle we were the first to get engaged. I'm 3 years older than DH and most of his friend's girlfriends are younger by 2-3 years. There was a bit of the same when I showed up with a ring. Now that I'm in my early 30s and they are in their late 20s there is no longer than reaction when people get engaged. It's a lot more restrained, we're more used to people suddenly showing up with rings on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Echidna|1331001169|3141497 said:
Probably :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either that, or they are bemoaning my expensive taste and ridiculous, over-the-top spending! Can't win, so who cares?!
Same here! I think I've addressed this with a few people. Apparently I've also wasted my money on all the various education I have done also, through a masters, GIA, a little bit of cosmetology school. How dare I be interested in things and want to learn how to do them right?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, none that have mentioned it!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
No, it's usually the other way around. My 2ctw studs are not real, but I wear it with all my other "real" diamonds, and I always have people commenting about how they wished they could afford 1ct diamonds for each ear, because it looks so elegant....

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea, nor would I care.

I have an equal number of real jewelry pieces and fakes, and I love both! :naughty: I'm an equal opportunity bling lover.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My anniversary ring is not humongous (the center stone is just shy of .5 carat) but it went missing from my jewelry box. After looking all over all I could get out of my oldest kid who was 4 or 5 at the time that she was playing with it with her friend, and that her friend liked it and borrowed it. So I called up the mother, and she very nonchalantly said yes her daughter had a ring that my daughter gave her. and I explain it's my anniversary ring, and she said, oh I just assumed it was costume."
whew :o

I do like gemstones and jewelry, but most of my friends are bohemian types and don't think of me that way, and I don't talk about this stuff with them because I know they would be completely uninterested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results