shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ladies sell their handbags to support Their jewelry projects?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I was so clam for the first 3 months of quarantine. I am going a little nut not being able to travel... having too much time on the internet and Instagram didn’t do any good to me.

I already started a project with David Klass. Then......today I committed on buying a pair of diamond earrings with Parks Fine Group.

It’s so hard buying from him! They get sold so fast! I saw the post within 3 second on Instagram then it was mine.

Not that I am complaining about getting a good deal, but I can’t be spending like that.

I need to sell my handbags... any ladies out there have experience selling them?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a couple of online vendors like “RealReal” who will sell Preloved designer items on commission. Not sure how it works though (I’m in Australia). You could use Loupe Troop but I’m not sure what traffic goes there for handbags.
I would NOT recommend eBay or the likes. Yes, I have bought pre loved LV pieces on eBay (Japanese vendors can be trusted) but it is a minefield. The issue is with the fakes. Not only are sellers selling fakes there are buyer scammers out there who, armed with a replica copy of what’s being sold, buy the real deal off eBay them lodge a claim that it’s fake. They offer up images of the fake item saying that’s what they received. The rules with counterfeit items is that they must be destroyed, not returned to the seller. So the buyer provides evidence (photos) of the fake bag being cut up, they then get their money back and keep the real bag. The seller has no money, no bag and a “flag” on their account for selling counterfeit items.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
There are a couple of online vendors like “RealReal” who will sell Preloved designer items on commission. Not sure how it works though (I’m in Australia). You could use Loupe Troop but I’m not sure what traffic goes there for handbags.
I would NOT recommend eBay or the likes. Yes, I have bought pre loved LV pieces on eBay (Japanese vendors can be trusted) but it is a minefield. The issue is with the fakes. Not only are sellers selling fakes there are buyer scammers out there who, armed with a replica copy of what’s being sold, buy the real deal off eBay them lodge a claim that it’s fake. They offer up images of the fake item saying that’s what they received. The rules with counterfeit items is that they must be destroyed, not returned to the seller. So the buyer provides evidence (photos) of the fake bag being cut up, they then get their money back and keep the real bag. The seller has no money, no bag and a “flag” on their account for selling counterfeit items.

That’s scary!! I can’t believe they do that! So they always take the buyer’s side over the seller.

I’ve sold my bags on eBay before. But I stopped because I had someone used the bag for two weeks and claimed my bag is not as advertised and return it used up. So frustrated.

I also used POsH app, but people always low ball and waste time. I am willing to answer as many questions to help, but if I am selling something for $1000 a lot will said for $100. They take whooping 20% from commission also.

I should give real real a try.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I used to have a whole collection. Hermès, Chanel, LV, Fendi, Prada, Jamin Puech, Fekkai, and on. Sold most of them before Covid happened. I only have three designer ones left, and have been dragging my feet on listing them because I really like them.

But to answer your question, if the right OEC came along, you bet I’d sell those last few bags! In a heartbeat!

Except my vintage coach bag. It’s a copy of the first real grown-up purse my mother bought for me. I remember that day so well.

Don’t sell the bags that make your eyes misty. You’ll end up searching for them for years and waaaaaay overpaying when you find them again second (third fourth fifth) hand.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a whole collection. Hermès, Chanel, LV, Fendi, Prada, Jamin Puech, Fekkai, and on. Sold most of them before Covid happened. I only have three designer ones left, and have been dragging my feet on listing them because I really like them.

But to answer your question, if the right OEC came along, you bet I’d sell those last few bags! In a heartbeat!

Except my vintage coach bag. It’s a copy of the first real grown-up purse my mother bought for me. I remember that day so well.

Don’t sell the bags that make your eyes misty. You’ll end up searching for them for years and waaaaaay overpaying when you find them again second (third fourth fifth) hand.

I did have regret selling one of my first designer bag. It was a LV. I was only 18. I got a first at the time think “real Job”, worked my behind off as a pharmacy tech and with my first pay check I ran to the boutique.

I don’t use it anymore, so I thought it was a good idea to sell it.... but I miss it.

The price increase on Chanel is crazy, and I am glad I bought the one I like years ago. I thought about selling a few to get a Hermès, but I just don’t like them. I feel like I just want it because everyone want one.

Every time I walk inside a Chanel, I can feel butterflies in my stomach and I want everyone of it. If I get a Hermes as a gift, sure I would love to, but I can’t pull myself to get it. When I walked inside Hermès I didn’t really like the bags...

I also think they tried to make it exclusive but they are not, they just pick who they want to sell it too. Happens to many times they offered me the Birkin or Kelly bag in different locations. Maybe I know the technique of asking for one. I was honest and told them I want to see one in real life to decide if I really want one. They always showed me a “Sample” and then they have another in different color. I think maybe they want to impress me? I always had to think and always told me it won’t be there when I go back. I mean I tried very hard to like it, but I just don’t.

That being said, most of my bags are Chanel. They raised the price like 25% for the prices I paid for....not sure if I should sell.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I once sold a limited edition LV bag because I no longer cared for it, but I kind of regret it and now the bag is worth 3X what I bought it for! I've thought about selling some more of my LV bags (I have 6 of them, yikes I didn't realize how many I have) as I only really use 2-3 of them. I've kind of come to the conclusion though that it's not worth selling due to the hassle and the depreciation.

If you like your Chanel bags, I would keep them since they are actually going up in price.

It's a lot easier IMO to justify diamonds over a bag because mentally they have more "value," but in comparing opportunity cost by dollar, I rather have another bag, if that makes sense.

Maybe cut back on other expenses to help fund the earrings purchase and replenish your savings? Another thing to consider is, do you really love the earrings or the fact they are hard to get? I've fallen into this trap before with a sold out, limited inventory LV. I liked it, but the fact it was hard to get motivated me to order it when I didn't actually like it that much. I still like the bag, but rarely ever use it. Just my experience!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I once sold a limited edition LV bag because I no longer cared for it, but I kind of regret it and now the bag is worth 3X what I bought it for! I've thought about selling some more of my LV bags (I have 6 of them, yikes I didn't realize how many I have) as I only really use 2-3 of them. I've kind of come to the conclusion though that it's not worth selling due to the hassle and the depreciation.

If you like your Chanel bags, I would keep them since they are actually going up in price.

It's a lot easier IMO to justify diamonds over a bag because mentally they have more "value," but in comparing opportunity cost by dollar, I rather have another bag, if that makes sense.

Maybe cut back on other expenses to help fund the earrings purchase and replenish your savings? Another thing to consider is, do you really love the earrings or the fact they are hard to get? I've fallen into this trap before with a sold out, limited inventory LV. I liked it, but the fact it was hard to get motivated me to order it when I didn't actually like it that much. I still like the bag, but rarely ever use it. Just my experience!

You are right, the price on the bags increase so much faster that jewelry. Even selling it won’t lose as much money as diamond.

I do like the earrings. I only have a pair of diamond earrings with small halo. I always want just simple diamond studs. I have pearl studs and Sweet Alhambra, but don’t have any diamond studs. I don’t want another pair of round diamond.

I am also finally getting my YZ color diamond set as a ring and pendant, and the new pair of WX will go well with it. So I think I will not regret the purchase.

I’m giving myself reasons to justify my spending lol....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results