shape
carat
color
clarity

Any info on this purple rock?

Dirtminer43

Rough_Rock
0119F4FE-6993-46A6-8A6F-33653BCA0230.jpeg Okay so we dug up some rock for a driveway and under it was some purple rocks, which were imbedded in it any info would be great, thanks

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where were you digging?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say it's a purple rock. :lol: But I know nothing. Could you tell us where you are located? It helps to know what type of rocks/minerals, etc. are found in the area. For example, I'm in So. Cal near the beach, and have horrid clay soil, so I will never ever find a purple rock deposit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say it's a purple rock. :lol: But I know nothing. Could you tell us where you are located? It helps to know what type of rocks/minerals, etc. are found in the area. For example, I'm in So. Cal near the beach, and have horrid clay soil, so I will never ever find a purple rock deposit.

Yes, but you’re still in So California by the beach!! :cheeky:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not a natural rock or mineral. It doesn’t have any crystal structure. Could be some sort of dried dyed filler material, dyed grout gone hard or even a hunk of old dried paint.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Could be a ceramic? Part of a tile or something.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you live by a college or university take it to the geology dept. and see if some one can identify it. There are also 'rockhound' sites for rock collectors that you can find on the internet that may be able to help.

Dirtminer43

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the wait, I live in Texas, there’s no place I can take it to check it though

Dirtminer43

Rough_Rock
And I don’t think it’s paint because I cracked some of these open inside and out all purple

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I don’t think it’s paint because I cracked some of these open inside and out all purple
Wouldn't paint be the same colour inside and out, given it's all the same material?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you asking because you're interested in learning, or are you asking because you hope you've stumbled upon a deposit of valuable rough gems? If it's the former, I agree with the previous suggestions of finding a rock hound forum to post more images and get opinions. If it's the latter, you're out of luck.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There are few rocks with such even purple colour & chances to stumble on a chunk are not great. The value would not be grand even if it were one of these... I suspect that mindat.com still has a forum that could be more helpful: they'd know what is to be found in your area etc.

Dirtminer43

Rough_Rock
Oh okay, thanks for the help though everyone

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As others said, it might not even be natural rock. If it was, my wild guess would be siltstone, because it comes in many colors including yes purple.
https://geology.com/rocks/siltstone.shtml
A rock or geology site might have a q and a place to ask; this site is more for faceted diamond, gemstone and jewelry afficionados.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results