shape
carat
color
clarity

Any info about these pearls? (photos attached)

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Hello all! I found this necklace at a well-known Philly thrift shop on Friday and I'm curious about these pearls. As far as I can tell, they seem real, but I don't know much else beyond that! (Did the 'tooth test' and succeeded in getting lipstick on them haha)

Any thoughts? What might the dark blue beads be? And if they are real, what's the best way to care for them after wearing? I am fairly new to pearls. Thank you!

IMG_20190326_105130.jpg IMG_20190326_105154.jpg IMG_20190326_105204.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are freshwater pearls. It's a little hard to tell from your photos, but the blue beads are probably lapis.
Very pretty! These types of pearls were very popular in the late 80's. I have several similar necklaces and they go with everything!
Just wipe them gently with a soft, dry cloth to clean them.
Is there a karat mark on the clasp?

Last edited:

mdi

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! No, there are no hallmarks as far as I can tell. Lapis is a good guess for the beads! I'll get my loupe out later and take a look. I only paid $15 for these guys, so I am quite happy with the purchase!

mdi

Shiny_Rock
(The gold beads are definitely painted plastic or something similar, but it's a nice addition to my everyday work wardrobe for sure.)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(The gold beads are definitely painted plastic or something similar, but it's a nice addition to my everyday work wardrobe for sure.)
The spacer beads and clasp are likely gold plated base metal.
My strand has black onyx beads. I wear it a lot in warm weather. It looks great with sleeveless summer fashions!

Reactions: mdi

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That style is a bit of a classic now. Those pearls are really early 'rice krispie' pearls (you can see how they got their name!). I've not seen anything like them new wholesale for some years. They are almost collectable!

mdi

Shiny_Rock
That style is a bit of a classic now. Those pearls are really early 'rice krispie' pearls (you can see how they got their name!). I've not seen anything like them new wholesale for some years. They are almost collectable!

Wow, very cool -- thanks for the info! Definitely planning to get some good wear out of them this summer!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
These are freshwater pearls. It's a little hard to tell from your photos, but the blue beads are probably lapis.
Very pretty! These types of pearls were very popular in the late 80's. I have several similar necklaces and they go with everything!
Just wipe them gently with a soft, dry cloth to clean them.

I have a single strand with sterling silver beads and a sweet little clasp that is 16 inches long and was given to me as a child by my parents and I adore them but, I have NO idea how to wear them.
Oddly they look the opposite of glamorous or sweet on me but just cheap almost, albeit the necklace itself being lovely.
I cant put my finger on why pearl necklaces that arent 40" look horrid on me....or just odd really.
20190326_132709.jpg 20190326_132949~2.jpg
What would you wear a rice krispie strand with?!

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a single strand with sterling silver beads and a sweet little clasp that is 16 inches long and was given to me as a child by my parents and I adore them but, I have NO idea how to wear them.
Oddly they look the opposite of glamorous or sweet on me but just cheap almost, albeit the necklace itself being lovely.
I cant put my finger on why pearl necklaces that arent 40" look horrid on me....or just odd really.

Back in the day, these were in every jewelry showcase. When I had the first big fight with my then-husband(1986), I went out and spent $89 on one that had 14k balls in between every pearl.
You just need the correct neckline.
@TheGarnetGirl, try it with a scoop neck T-shirt.............

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just want to agree that they're "rice krispie" pearls, which were popular in the '80s. Not much value financially but nice anyway in my opinion, especially with casual summer clothes.

mdi

Shiny_Rock
Just want to agree that they're "rice krispie" pearls, which were popular in the '80s. Not much value financially but nice anyway in my opinion, especially with casual summer clothes.

Haha, good to know since I did not spend an arm and a leg for them -- and would much rather have real pearls for the summer than costume jewelry.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the trade name for the pearls are Biwa' pearls. They also came dyed in every color of the rainbow.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think the trade name for the pearls are Biwa' pearls. They also came dyed in every color of the rainbow.

I think the name Biwa pearls correctly only belongs to pearls from Lake Biwa in Japan but you're right that "rice krispie" pearls are often called that.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

I'd say they look "delicate" on you so maybe that's not your style. Also, the color seems to blend in with your skin tone too much for them to really pop. They might if you had a touch of a summer tan, though. :)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
These are not Biwa pearls. Lambskin. Biwa pearls come from the Japanese freshwater lake Biwa. The term is often also thrown incorrectly at various types of stick pearls
Real Biwa pearls looked a bit like baby milk teeth. There is one small farm only left now, producing a few pearls.
Looking at google images there is only one with definitely real Biwa pearls. That is the nine strand bracelet

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results