shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve always felt as though a diamond ring would be a nice thing to have but that it is completely out of our budget. We''re a fairly young couple (24) who have been together 6 years already, what is a diamond ring going to show me about our relationship that I don''t already know?

I''m a very practical girl. Never do I ask for anything that I know is not within our budget b/c well, I wasn''t brought up that fortunate; my siblings and I didn''t have much and I''ve learned that nothing is more important than just the people you have in your life. Material things mean nothing to me, honestly. But FF means everything in the world to me. I know he wants so badly to be able to produce a beautiful diamond ring to me on the day he proposes b/c as he says, I "deserve it" and I also know that he''s going to do everything in his power to make that happen. However, having been fighting with myself over whether or not I should even ask for or want a diamond for quite a while now, I''ve decided that in the end it is his decision but I am going to let him know that it''s not the size of the diamond or how expensive it is that matters to me, but rather, the meaning behind it. I''m sure he knows this already, but I''m honestly just thinking about seriously putting it out there that I do NOT want an expensive ring right now. It''s just not feasible with everything that is going on with the economy and in our own lives. We have other things to worry about and bills to pay. A "traditional" engagement ring is something that can wait and I want to wait.

These are ideas of a ring he can propose with:

-A co-worker suggested going to an antique store and looking at their selections of rings. Not necessarily diamonds, but rings in general and have him get me whatever ring "speaks" to him
-A diamond band, which I''ve already talked about with you ladies.
-A regular band.
-A plastic ring from those little machines outside of stores. Hehe. B/c after-all, I''d marry this man even if he gave me nothing when he proposed!

Any others??

ETA: Honestly, I think it will always be out of our budget b/c well, I can''t for the life of me justify spending so much money on a ring! Am I the only one?

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
I would personally go with a diamond band....I think they are gorgeous when worn on their own. You could then either get another one for your wedding band or I think even better a plain band..I love staced rings though that aren''t matchy-matchy.

Another idea is white sapphire....there are a couple of PSers with white sapphire rings and they are stunning.
Also, whatever your birthstone is, that could potentially bring the price down and still be very meaningful.

If you go the antique ring route I would want to go with BF to pick it out. THey are all so different I think it would be overwhelming for a guy to try to pick out something in that setting.
-this comes from experience, I just stopped in an antique jewelry store with my mom, and found my dream ring,and
it was NOTHING like what I thought I wanted.

Good Luck! You will find what works for you!

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
I think that if we can''t afford it, then I would get a diamond band as both engagement ring and wedding ring. My friend got a small (I think it''s less than 1/4 ct), but very pretty 3 stone ring. I had a friend in college who wasn''t much of a jewelry girl and said that if her fiance wanted to spend that much money on her then he should just be practical and buy her an engagement car.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I like the birthstone ring suggestion, of course depending on how much you like your birthstone and assuming it''s not a diamond. I would just try looking around online or in person and see if any gemstone rings speak to you. I also really like the idea of a diamond band.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Diamond band! They are so beautiful.

Otherwise, maybe look at sapphires (blue, pink, or white are all gorgeous). I''m sure the experts in the Colored Stones forum can help you find a budget-friendly stone.

Of course, you don''t have to get an e-ring. Maybe you can save that for later in your marriage?

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the idea of a diamond band...and by diamond band I''m assuming everyone''s referring to an eternity band? I think the name "eternity band" is meaningful enough to be a perfect e-ring!

A gemstone is also another great idea. A friend of mine has an emerald solitaire with a plain white gold wedding band. It''s gorgeous!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would either go for

1) a diamond band
2) a small diamond (1/2 ct?) that could be bezel set so it would look like a band from the top down.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inhisarms, you asked "Honestly, I think it will always be out of our budget b/c well, I can''t for the life of me justify spending so much money on a ring! Am I the only one?"

It sounds like a diamond ring just isn''t worth it to you, and that''s why you can never justify spending the money. Only you can decide whether any item is worth its cost, and it sounds like a diamond just doesn''t do it for you.

As for alternate ring ideas, I would go out and look at colored stones if I were you, as well as other rings, as well. Maybe you''ll find something that is worth the cost to you.

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
Hi inhisarms! Thanks for starting this thread. SO and I are young as well and are facing the same issue. Here are some options I came up with for my e-ring:
- I inherited a diamond ring from my grandma, and I was thinking of possibly resetting it.
- I might inherit my mom''s first engagement ring (before the upgrade). That would feel special to me.
- I''m in love with sapphires, especially peach-colored ones. I could have one set in a simple solitaire setting.
- I love the diamond band idea... I did not consider that until now!

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Haven: Diamonds are beautiful and yes, I would love to have a nice one one day but right now, like I said, it just isn't in our budget and I really can't justify spending so much money on something that really is not a necessity right now.

Lala: White sapphires was a great suggestion! After you mentioned it, I went and looked around a bit online. They are very beautiful! A very nice alternative to a diamond.

Honey: I am definitely leaning towards a band of some kind. I think they are timeless and classic and I LOVE the idea of stacking bands!

Purselover: I like the idea of a birthstone ring. My birth month is October which is primarily Opal but also Pink Tourmaline. I like both ideas. An opal e-ring would be pretty unique, don't you think?

Kittybean: Definitely looking into Sapphires. All colors are just lovely. I'm just afraid of getting a colored stone b/c I fear I might get bored of the color. You think? Hmm. Oh and trust me, if I can't seem to find something that I would love to have (besides a diamond) then I might just opt for no e-ring at all. I have a diamond promise ring that could be used in place of an e-ring if all else fails. (Wouldn't be a bad idea, actually, b/c I LOVE LOVE LOVE my promise ring!)

SammyJ: Yeah, I meant to say eternity band. But I would actually get a half band eternity instead of full.

LtlFirecracker: The band is a great choice but as for the small diamond with a bezel, I don't know, that style has yet to grow on me. I think perhaps I should actually try one on, then you never know, I could love it!

Fuzzers: It's actually pretty funny b/c the picture you have as your avatar is the very first ring I had picked out when FF and I started really talking about marriage and the first ring I had told everyone here I wanted when I first joined. (Over a year ago.) It was actually my avatar pic too in the beginning! Haha. I still love it, too! Just scared I'll get sick of one color. Oh and I wish I'd have inherited a diamond ring from someone b/c it would make it all so much easier!

Thanks again ladies!!

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
i love love love sabinameister''s micro pave band by simon g. link

honeymoon 081-11.jpg

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
and i also really love laurel25''s new sapphire e-ring. it''s a richard homer, and it''s phenomenal!! link

LaurelSapphRing366.JPG

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
.... and this tiffany legacy wedding band, which i adore!! link

lol.. i'm done i swear! hope that helps!

wedband-legacy-ring.jpg

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
My SO always joked about having a rubber band in his back pocket ready for that special moment - it reminded me of your plastic ring
2.gif
- I love your attitude towards everything IHA, its refreshing to say the least. I hope it all works out for you
1.gif

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
What a coincidence! I know what you mean about maybe getting bored of the color. My tastes change a lot. I used to want a green/blue stone, now I love pink/orange ones!

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Other coloured diamonds could also look good and are cheaper than white diamonds i.e champagne, cognac and black diamonds are cheaper. For example you could get a 2.2 ct black diamond ring for 599 us dollars, champagne diamonds are 70-80% cheaper than white

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
Also love the look of white sapphire e-rings, here is one posted on a thread in "Show me Your Ring" on 26th oct 2008.
Here is the link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/white-sapphire-e-ring.98424/

Stats: 1.04 ct white sapphire with 0.44 tcw in diamonds

white e-ring.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Honey, I think you should go shopping with your man and try on different rings and decide together what sort of ring fits your tastes and budget. I think it''s really romantic to look at rings together, and will give you a better idea of what works for you than just looking at photos.
1.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
All of those ideas are lovely... Have you ever thought about a pawn shop/ resale shop? You can find some great things there, you just have to shop around!

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know a lot about the hardness of opals, so I don''t know how they''d fare as an engagement ring. But if you wanted to go the birthstone route and aren''t sure of loving the pink color after awhile, I found this opal ring with a little surprise pink tourmaline.

opal ring.jpg

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
You''re not alone on this idea, I''ve definitely considered it myself. I''d personally go with a simple thin diamond band as a ring, since that''s what I''d wear out and about most of the time anyway. You can tell your (then husband) that he can get you the engagement ring later if he wants, but that there''s no pressure to be extravagant. Either way, it''s the symbolism of the ring that counts and you''ve got the right attitude about the whole process, so kudos for that :)

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 11:17:55 PM
Author: vita*dolce
and i also really love laurel25''s new sapphire e-ring. it''s a richard homer, and it''s phenomenal!! link

Oh my gosh - I can''t believe you posted my ring - I''m so flattered!!!! Thanks!!!

Honey228 - opals are definitely NOT strong enough nor durable enough for a ring that will be worn every day. The best stones for erings are diamonds, sapphires/rubies, spinels, garnets, and tourmalines. Most other stones are too soft to be worn on a daily basis and even the colored stones listed above need some extra babying.

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your lovely ideas! It''s given me a lot to think about. I guess what it comes down to is that I''m going to have to just go and try all different styles of rings on and then make a decision.

In the meantime, I found two beautiful rings that I just love and would like to know which one you like best, if you even like them at all, that is! haha. First one is my top choice. I love that it doesn''t go around the whole band and I love pink... it has some diamonds in there too so I don''t think the pink would be too too much.

What do you think?

Sapphring2.jpg

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
And this one I adore as well... but it goes around the entire band which I''m not too fond of but def not a deal breaker.

SapphRing_1.jpg

MissDimity

Shiny_Rock
I think they are both gorgeous rings. If you like the top one I would go with that
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE the pink diamond and sapphire band. LOVE IT.

CheshireSmile

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 12:15:02 PM
Author: laurel25
Date: 12/6/2008 11:17:55 PM

Author: vita*dolce

and i also really love laurel25's new sapphire e-ring. it's a richard homer, and it's phenomenal!! link

Oh my gosh - I can't believe you posted my ring - I'm so flattered!!!! Thanks!!!

Honey228 - opals are definitely NOT strong enough nor durable enough for a ring that will be worn every day. The best stones for erings are diamonds, sapphires/rubies, spinels, garnets, and tourmalines. Most other stones are too soft to be worn on a daily basis and even the colored stones listed above need some extra babying.

I second that, a friend of mine had an opal ring (not an e ring) and she wore it fairly often, and the opal came out, she had it reset and lost the opal again, and ended up giving up on it.

I love the pink sapphire and diamond bands you posted! I think they're just lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results