shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas for a Proposal in Italy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emvta

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend and I are going to Italy this August and I am planning on proposing while we are there. We are going to be in Rome when I plan on proposing. Anyone have any suggestions where in Rome I should propose?

Ted

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ted,

Italy is great!!! I have been to Rome, Venice, Florence, and Pisa. I would have to say though of those four places I would choose a proposal place in Venice or Florence before I chose Rome. I spent 1 and a half days in each place so it was a pretty whirlwind trip.

(are you by chance going to any of the other cities I just mentioned?) Rome is the most touristy and you go see the "BIG" things there and that is it...also it is a big pickpockets place so id be careful.

for example at the big ruins areas there are just tons of people everywhere standing in line to get in and you pretty much stand in the hot sun for like 1 hour to even be able to go in, and I was there in November so I imagine in summer it is even more crowded. I just remember Rome as being so crowded. plus in my day and a half there i saw 2 people get pickpocketed. so i would hate for you to get down on one knee and have some hooligan run up and snatch the ring away from you and run away!!! perhaps if you are staying in a nice hotel you could propose on the balcony instead?

whereas both Venice and Florence are verry romantic and have tons of little alleyways and especially Venice has neat little bridges to go up and down and gondola rides and you can find a much more romantic and secluded spot in Venice or Florence to propose. I personally have a lot more great memories of Venice and Florence than of Rome because of all the crazy crowds in Rome. although since i wasnt there long maybe other people will have better suggestions for you! :)

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
i meant to add, if you do propose in Rome i think you should try to choose an out of the way place that isnt one of the handful of big monuments to see but also make sure it isnt too out of the way so that it is dangerous. maybe someone on here has better ideas about that :)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i second the protection against thieves. propose on the plane? on the way?

i never wore real jewelry when i lived in london. too many pickpockets and thieves.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ll be in Rome in 1 1/2 weeks, so I''ll keep my eye out for any likely spots! This''ll make it even more fun! heh heh.
5.gif

I''ll post back on this at the start of July when I get back.
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2006 1:56:37 PM
Author:emvta
My girlfriend and I are going to Italy this August and I am planning on proposing while we are there. We are going to be in Rome when I plan on proposing. Anyone have any suggestions where in Rome I should propose?

I have never been to Rome, but I have travelled throughout northen Italy and...you know?...you can''t go wrong there! Most of the cities are ancient and beautiful. All of the restaurants, no matter how simple and inexpensive, have great food. I would pick your favorite landmark in Rome and go for it!

Good luck!

Deb
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said, I do not know Rome, but this sounded good to me!

"In the early 19th century the last owners, Mr. and Mrs. Wurts, transformed the park into a true paradise, full of rare plants and embellished with an original sculptural decoration coming from an 18th-century Lombard villa. The enchanting place charmed and fascinated Gabriele D''Annunzio, who set the duel of Andrea Sperelli, the protagonist of his novel Il piacere, there. After crossing the Tiber, continuing along the Lungotevere Aventino, we meet on the right the Clivo di Rocca Savelli, a picturesque staircase leading directly into the little garden that extends over the area where the fortress of the Savelli family stood in the Middle Ages. The park is more well known as the Garden of Orange Trees.

The citrus fruit plants in it were placed here in 1932 in commemoration of the Spanish orange tree brought to Rome by St. Dominic in 1220. This tree, according to tradition the first planted in Italy, still miraculously exists in the garden of the monastery of Santa Sabina and can be seen through a hole in the wall of the church portico. At the end of Via di Santa Sabina, descending towards the Circus Maximus, we find the Municipal Rose Garden, one of the most beautiful in the world, also thanks to the scenic context in which it stands."

Deb
34.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might consider climbing to the top of St. Pete''s dome (if you go later in the day the crowds are less) and after you catch your breath (I think there are more than 350 steps) you could propose with a superb view of the city as a backdrop. There are thousands of small piazzas that are incredibly romantic. The neighborhoods across the Tyber (on the side where Vatican City is located) are artsy and bohemian if you like that kind of atmosphere. Piazza Navona and Piazza del Popolo are resplendent in Bernini fountains -- after dinner at one of the cafes you''d have your choice of wonderfully lit fountains to choose from. The square where the Pantheon sits as well as the Pantheon itself is very romantic. Sure there will be crowds there but what the heck -- you''ll be in Rome. Rome is built on 7 hills...go to the top of one. You can''t go wrong.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not thrilled with my suggestion and have no knowledge of Matata's! This page shows photos of the Garden of Oranges (aka Il giardino degli aranci and Parco Savello). The reason I wouldn't choose this park is that the trees are so ancient that, to me, they appear stunted! There are hotels and restaurants in the area that are named after the garden that are lovely, however!

Il giardino degli aranci

Deb
34.gif

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2006 2:16:06 PM
Author: froufrou
Hi Ted,

Italy is great!!! I have been to Rome, Venice, Florence, and Pisa. I would have to say though of those four places I would choose a proposal place in Venice or Florence before I chose Rome.
I would vote Florence if you''re going there. Venice is cheesy romance...ugh. Been there three times, and I swore I''d never go back. VERY touristy, lots of crappy shops. There are of course beautiful places, but it''s overpriced and overrated, IMHO. There are a lot of spots in Rome that would be gorgeous...ESPECIALLY at sunset. Sounds trite, but the area around the Coliseum is absolutely gorgeous at sunset...ahhhh.
36.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for sticking with your plan to propose in Rome; both Venice and Florence are beautiful but they are also extremely cliché and no better than Rome for romance. Additionally, I never had a problem with thieves as long as I was not on the actual street. My favorite places are the Fountian of Trevi in the early morning or night when it is cool and there are less crowds; the Spanish steps or Piazza di Spagna as it is called in Italian at sunset, less crowded fountains are the Fontana del Bernini a Piazza Navona and the "Fontana dei Fiumi” or the Gianicolo at night which has a beautiful view of the city. My Ultimate favorite is without question the Villa Borghese. It is a huge garden with fountains and buildings and it is amazing.
Hope those helped and the best of luck to you.

KissyKissy

Rough_Rock
I lived in Rome for awhile so I know all of the nooks and crannies!!! One of my favorite places in the whole entire city is Piazza Navona at night. There is a BEAUTIFUL fountain that is all lit up once it gets dark. People stroll around arm in arm and it''s just so....Italian. And Romantic. If I was a male and proposing to my girlfriend in Rome I would for sure pick Piazza Navona. :) In fact I was hoping when we were there that my boyfriend WOULD propose there, but alas I wasn''t that lucky. Rome is near and dear to my heart so I''m so excited that someone is using it at the backdrop for their romantic proposal!! GOOD LUCK!! KEEP US POSTED!! And take pics!! I never tire of seeing pics of Roma!! :)

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been to Rome twice, and I love it. I''d second Villa Borghese. The place I''d suggest, though, is Palatine Hill. It''s a little more private, a little less tourist-y, gorgeous ruins (I think ruins are romantic), and a great view of the city.

Plus, it has these fantastic cypress (I think?) trees.

Good luck!

diamondjunkie

Rough_Rock
I agree with the top of St. Peters dome. Something like," Whoo, I am so out of breath, not because of the stairs but because you take my breath away, etc. etc." Of course that is me, not you! Anywhere you pick will be wonderful and how nice to plan the proposal in Italy. Keep us posted!
emsmile.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Ok, just got back from Italy!
I''m voting Palatine hill as well! It''s not nearly as crowded as some of the other sites, and it has great views and massive ruins. No worries about pick-pockets there. Another idea is maybe on a bridge over the Tiber river. There are a couple with great views of St. Peter''s. Pantheon is out since it''s massively crowded, and St. Peter''s was a bit crowded as well although we didn''t climb the dome.
The gardens at villa borghese is a good idea as well. Reminds me of the gardens in Paris. They have these little bicycle cart thingys that look super romantic and fun. There''s also a pretty lake you can take paddle boats on. Just don''t drop the ring!
31.gif

chicagoillinois

Rough_Rock
Hey Ted,

Check out Trevi fountain (it sits at the intersection of 3 streets in Rome, tre-vi). It''s great at night. Italians make a wish by throwing money over their shoulder into the fountain. After she makes a wish, you can propose. Hopefully you just fulfilled her wish.

Photo attached.

trevifountain.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results