shape
carat
color
clarity

Any idea of how much this ring could sell for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

uggamer

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
Not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread, however I was looking for some advice from you all about what a ring like this might be worth? Any estimates are well appreciated, as I have no clue at all what this would be worth.

I read through the FAQs about selling a ring, however I don''t have an idea how much it was originally purchased for.
Here''s all the information I can gather about it:

Diamond Weight 2.50 carat
Diamond Shape Princess Brilliant Cut
Diamond Color D
Diamond Clarity VVS1
Number of Stones 56
Metal Type 14K White Gold
Gold Weight 6.720 Gms
Setting Type Invisible
Appraisal Value $ 13230.00

(It''s in perfect condition)

It''s 100% natural, not enhanced, and the appraisal certificate is GIA.

So, any ideas of what this might be worth, if anything at all? I''m guessing the diamond weight alone would be worth something, however not completely sure.

Thanks guys.

uggamer

Rough_Rock
That''s the best photo I could take of it.
Thanks everyone!

1137487609210_1136229301837_pics_048.jpg

DIF

Rough_Rock
Apparently 2.5 Ct is the total weight of 56 4.5 point diamonds.

Did the written appraisal actually state that every one of the 56 diamonds are exactly D and VVS1?
That is astonishing a jewler took the time to assemble 56 perfectly identical diamonds.

Were the diamonds graded while mounted in the ring? or were they removed for the D VVS1 grades, or graded before being mounted?

You say the appraisal certificate is GIA.
I thought GIA didn't grade rings, only loose stones.
And I thought that GIA does not give appraisals.

Did there used to be a center stone? Marquis perhaps?

uggamer

Rough_Rock
There could well have been a center stone. I''m not sure. I don''t know the ring''s history at all. (I just was given two rings that were owned by someone in my family).
I''ll have to find out more about those specifics from my family. I''m not sure if all the 56 stones are all rated at that colour / grade. It could be an average, not exactly sure. More info in a few days.
The certificate is GIA, from what I''m told. I believe that they meant that just a graduate GIA gemologist certified it.
And yes, the 2.5ct is the total weight of 56 diamonds.
Would that be equal to one large 2.5 carat diamond of identical cut/colour? Or does it not work that way?

DIF

Rough_Rock
56 4.5 point diamonds is worth a fraction of what a single 2.5 carat stone is worth, especially a 2.5 carat D VVS1.

Do you have the appraisal?
Does it mention a center stone?

It is hard to believe anyone would design a ring with an empty head in the middle.
I'm sorry but I suspect most of that appraised value was for the missing center stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 10:19:01 PM
Author: uggamer
There could well have been a center stone. I'm not sure. I don't know the ring's history at all. (I just was given two rings that were owned by someone in my family).

I'll have to find out more about those specifics from my family. I'm not sure if all the 56 stones are all rated at that colour / grade. It could be an average, not exactly sure. More info in a few days.

The certificate is GIA, from what I'm told. I believe that they meant that just a graduate GIA gemologist certified it.

And yes, the 2.5ct is the total weight of 56 diamonds.

Would that be equal to one large 2.5 carat diamond of identical cut/colour? Or does it not work that way?

Just to be clear, an appraisal from a GIA graduate gemologist is NOT THE SAME as a single diamond certified by GIA. GIA doesn't grade rings or provide appraisals.

And unfortunately 56 small diamonds in no way equals a 2.5 carat stone. Unfortunately that ring probably isn't worth much at all.

uggamer

Rough_Rock
OK, fair enough. Thanks guys!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d check around with some local jewelers who do consignment. You may get more for it doing it that way rather than selling it out right. They will give you a ballpark figure of what it''s worth based on what they think they can sell it for. The ring style is a little dated looking so you''re not going to a higher $ amount like you might if you had a current designer setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results