shape
carat
color
clarity

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

LobH

Rough_Rock
Hey fellas:

First time engagement ring buyer. Done some research on this and some other sites, and think I have fair idea what I want for my special lady. Would appreciate any input (as in direct advice or links anyone thinks would help me), regarding:

- whether the below parameters are realistic for a $5,000 budget; and
- recommendations for a B&M seller in the Los Angeles area (i.e. downtown LA or any other seller that isn't a big chain), where I may find a ring fitting the following parameters:

RING PARAMETERS:

(1) BUDGET - $5,000;

(2) FOUR C's - Carat (0.75 or more); Cut (good or better); Clarity (SI1 or better); Color (I or better)

(3) CERTIFICATION - Prefer GIA or AGSL

(4) OTHER - Round or cushion shaped solitaire diamond with a relatively simple band.

Thanks so much for any input. Planning on popping the question on New Years Eve!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone else will chime in likely tomorrow, but cut is the most important quality. You don't want "good"
Cut: you want ideal etc.

Do you have any idea about the setting? Solitaire? Halo? Etc

LobH

Rough_Rock
Thanks man.

Of the 4 C's, cut seems to be the most complicated to wrap my head around. Found some sites w/ info but not all of them are that helpful. I will go with ideal or better so long as it fits w/in my budget.

As to setting, after talking to my GF about that, she definitely wants a solitaire, and for the rock in general to stand out vis-a-vis the rest of the ring (thus relatively simple band), given that we're going with the lower end on the carat scale (0.75 to 1.00).

br0ok1ynb0i

Rough_Rock
Was in you shoes like a month ago. Most people prefer a well cut for the best light performance and was one of the items I learned a lot from this forum. Just because it says Excellent cut, it doesn't mean its the best cut because it doesn't factor in the crown/pav angle, etc.

There's a Diamond 101 for round from Gypsy in this forum that provides the parameters for a well cut diamond that you should check out. If you haven't checked out the color "I" in person yet, I would recommend you to check it out in real life to see how color sensitive you and the GF may be. I was originally sold on the color "I" until I went into a store and checked it out.

Do you have a setting in mind? I personally started with choosing a setting with the GF, so I can budget for the diamond itself.

LobH

Rough_Rock
Thank you brO00k1ynb0i:

Ah so I see how my lack of knowledge on these rings shines through lol. I though I answered re: settings in that me and my gf definitely decided on a solitaire ring. But now I see what you and whitewave meant by setting after I researched further.

After browsing with my gf, she definitely didn't care for bezel, halo or tension settings. So that pretty much leaves prong solitaire. Prefer as few and inconspicuous claws as possible, but don't want to sacrifice the security of the rock either. My gf is a professional photographer and make up artist, so her hands won't really be exposed to day to day abuse much. So I was thinking a low-set 4 prong solitaire should work for her.

tuckie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Is your budget for the stone alone or including the band?
There are many folks here on the board who could help you look for the perfect stone - but will be good to know your budget

LobH

Rough_Rock
$5K is total budget for everything - rock, band, insurance, etc.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking if she is an artistic type, i would not go lower than an H in color. And a G color may be a safer choice even. Do you know if she prefers a round or cushion or does she really not have a preference between the two? Picking a nice cushion really isn't easy and though you will find a heavier carat weight in a cushion, they do not face up as big as a round, they tend to be cut deeper. so don't be fooled into thinking you're getting a larger stone because the ct weight of the cushion is more. also, if she prefers a cushion, would she want a more square cushion or is elongated ok?

take for example these two .9 stones, how the cushion is facing up smaller

round, measuring 6.15 x 6.18 x 3.83
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2263180

cushion, measuring 5.64 x 5.39 x 3.85
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...t/0.90-carat-f-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-2343230

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results