shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Help Appreciated (Newbie Question)!

j1988

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

So any help appreciated here, if more information is required just let me know and I will try to find out but basicaally can you guys advise if I am getting a good price here:

ROUND DIAMOND
VERY GOOD
D
SI1
.91 CARAT
IGI CERTIFICATE
BASIC SILVER BAND
£3,300.00 (NO VAT APPLICABLE)

Blink

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm fairly new here too, but I know that cut is the most important thing in making the diamond sparkle. Is this an already set ring that you are buying preloved? I definitely think you can do better on the diamond. Start with Excellent/Ideal cut, and then run the table, depth, crown, and pavillion information through the HCA to weed out bad performers. Also, is there a reason you are looking at D color? You can very comfortably go down to an E or F color and still be colorless, or a G or H and still have an incredibly white and bright diamond. If you post your budget and ideally what you want, I'm sure some of the experts here can help you find something!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IGI is not a reliable grading lab report. Stick with GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut only.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

j1988

Rough_Rock
Blink|1466546311|4046418 said:
Hi! I'm fairly new here too, but I know that cut is the most important thing in making the diamond sparkle. Is this an already set ring that you are buying preloved? I definitely think you can do better on the diamond. Start with Excellent/Ideal cut, and then run the table, depth, crown, and pavillion information through the HCA to weed out bad performers. Also, is there a reason you are looking at D color? You can very comfortably go down to an E or F color and still be colorless, or a G or H and still have an incredibly white and bright diamond. If you post your budget and ideally what you want, I'm sure some of the experts here can help you find something!

So £3,300.00 is for the diamond only, new as far as I am aware. The basic silver ring is being thrown in for free as I will go back after the proposal to have my other half select a setting / ring she wants.

I work for a company which handles diamonds and a colleague of mine knows this diamond dealer who is based in an office next to him. I went to the guy with the below details after doing a BIT of research on the net saying "is what I have stated, above, below or thereabout what I can reasonably expect to get on the budget I have mentioned".

He replied no, I can give you (what I put in my original post) for £3,300.00.

Cut: Good
Colour: H
Clarity: SI2
Carat: 0.9
Ring Metal: White Gold
Ring Size: K 1/2
Budget: £3,000.00 - £3,500.00

j1988

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1466558164|4046486 said:
IGI is not a reliable grading lab report. Stick with GIA Excellent cut or AGS Ideal cut only.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Whoa. Thanks but that has just baffled me somewhat. Can I get this on my budget (£3k - £3.5k)? If so, where I can get what you've just stated from?

j1988

Rough_Rock
Bump. :shifty:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa. Thanks but that has just baffled me somewhat. Can I get this on my budget (£3k - £3.5k)? If so, where I can get what you've just stated from?
Online :naughty: :naughty:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1818045 (great numbers, gotta check for any negative effect from strong fluo)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1799286 (I wish it had more spread. Depth is at 62.5%. I normally expect 0.9c to be about 6.20mm)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1795236 (decent choice if eye clean)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1813953 (depth is at 62.5%. But extra 0.1c brings the diameter closer to 6.20mm. note: strong fluo)

Add 20% VAT to UK???

These are some examples. You can use the PS search engine to find more diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results