shape
carat
color
clarity

Any exciting summer plans?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer for vacation (or holiday as some of you put it:cheeky:). I would love to hear what everyone else is planning...maybe I can steal some ideas!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted in the 24 hour thread but it got lost.

We are traveling to Boston in August for a week. I have never been east of Kentucky unless you count Europe so I am excited. If anyone has any must see things - we love history and lobster. Best lobster roll place would be appreciated. We will be spending 2 days touring Boston and we want to go to the living history place in Plymouth. The other 3 will be in New Hampshire and Maine.

Looking forward to seeing what others are doing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'll tell you what NOT to do... Buy a boathouse on the water two states over, assuming you are doing a cosmetic renovation, and then tear the thing completely down to the studs and start over from the outside in, thinkingit will somehow still be ready by summer... THIS summer, that is.

Oy.

So DON'T plan that! :cheeky:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi redwood :wavey:...dont know much about Boston but we did end up in Maine for a short period on
our way to Canada last summer. There is a place in Bangor called Eagles Nest which has great
lobster/seafood. It is a tiny hole in the wall looking out on a river and the food was really good.
I was afraid the place might slide into the river as we sat there (think casual, uneven floors) but I
guess we were in luck that day :cheeky:. So, if you get anywhere near Bangor I can recommend stopping in there. Maine is such a beautiful state. I wish we could have spent more time there. Sounds like you have a great trip planned!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're going to explore Newfoundland, do some hiking around the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument in Utah, and our usual 3-4 day backpacking trips closer to home.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi redwood :wavey:...dont know much about Boston but we did end up in Maine for a short period on
our way to Canada last summer. There is a place in Bangor called Eagles Nest which has great
lobster/seafood. It is a tiny hole in the wall looking out on a river and the food was really good.
I was afraid the place might slide into the river as we sat there (think casual, uneven floors) but I
guess we were in luck that day :cheeky:. So, if you get anywhere near Bangor I can recommend stopping in there. Maine is such a beautiful state. I wish we could have spent more time there. Sounds like you have a great trip planned!
Thank you! I am not sure how far north we will get but I know we are going to Portland. Driving back east seems like it will be different because everything is closer. Out west you are driving many hours to get someplace. We are staying an hour north of Boston near Portsmouth and that is only 1.5 hours to Portland. I am hoping we get to see a bunch in 5 days. I have never learned how to do a relaxing vacation where you do nothing because I feel guilty if I am not trying to see everything there is to see.

Sounds fun Matata!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yankee Lobster is right in Boston and is an excellent choice. Atlantic Fish is also a solid choice. Also when I went to Boston years ago I found Newbury Street, it has a cool eclectic vibe, lots of little shops and such.

If you happen to come to CT check out Lenny and Joe's down at the shoreline, you could also visit Mystic Aquarium if you come here. Oh and I live here so you could visit me too!

ETA: Whale watching would also be fun!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Stephanie! I am pretty sure we won't have enough time to get to CT. I need to win the lotto so I can just travel. It would be easier if I played I guess. :lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(apparently I dont know how to work quoting yet...:loopy:...I'll have to figure that one out!)

Dee*jay...I've been watching so many reno shows on HGTV that that actually sounds like fun! I get
your drift (no pun intended) though. It always takes longer than you think. Well, I hope you get it
done before summer is over so you get to enjoy your hard work a little bit! Got any pictures?

Matata - you sound like quite the adventurer. We went to New Brunswick (I think it was 2
summers ago) and were told that Newfoundland was quite rugged. That the people there were
really tough. This was from a local New Brunswickian (not sure what you call them).

I would love to take DD out west. She has never seen anything like the Grand Canyon or any type of
red rock canyons. We're not in good enough shape to do any major over night hiking but some easy
going hour or two hikes would be doable. Probably need to go on some guided trip since it would
be just me and my DD.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we (me, hubby, and 2 kids, ages 10 and 13) are going to Paris in July! My brother and his wife will be on sabbatical there, so we will visit them and get a personal, up-close view of the city from a semi-"local"'s perspective. We spent a week with them in Italy a few years ago, and it was wonderful. So looking forward to seeing Paris!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium

We are traveling to Boston in August for a week. I have never been east of Kentucky unless you count Europe so I am excited. If anyone has any must see things - we love history and lobster. Best lobster roll place would be appreciated. We will be spending 2 days touring Boston and we want to go to the living history place in Plymouth. The other 3 will be in New Hampshire and Maine.

I live right outside Boston. If you like history you could walk the freedom trail - they have tours. Or - Take a duck boat ride. The public garden is beautiful in the summer & has swan boat rides. I love the Aquarium, actually going there this weekend. The Museum of Science is always fun. See a Red Sox game at Fenway! Shop @ Faneuil and dine in the North End. For seafood I like the No Name though I have not had their lobster rolls. I used to pop in to James Hook lobster on my lunch to grab a roll but this is not a restaurant really - take out. In Plymouth I've toured the Mayflower II and checked out Plymouth rock & there's Plimouth Plantation which is neat too. With only 2 days it's hard to choose! There will be plenty of places for lobster in NH & Maine as well. Portland Lobster Company is right on the water in Portland with outdoor casual dining. My favorite place in Maine though is Acadia. Its beautiful!

You can also pop into the restaurant @ Omni Parker house & get mini boston cream pies - the original - sooo good! Also, when in the city only cross when you have a walk signal cuz otherwise us locals get wicked pissed off & may yell obscenities at you lol.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This year we're going to staycation in Key West. Its roughly a 7 hour drive (one way...gawdalmighty!) but will be cheaper option for the summer than now for sure, plus the dog will get to go so even more fun. The plan is to rent an RV for the drive (yeah lets see how that actually works...lol) I've got a friend that has a floating house (its not technically a house boat!) which if not rented, we will be able to stay at for a reduced price..might not need the RV if thats the case. Otherwise we'll stay at RV parks along the way.

For those going to Boston, have a blast! If you're going to do the cape thing, be sure you take the right ferry, there's different ones for different things. Also if you DRIVE it, it can be a bear, its only 2 lanes for a lot of the way and if there's an accident you'll be on that rode for a very long time; Go early, leave late is the motto. For those staying in Boston proper, I highly recommend the Freedom Trail as its walk-able (just make sure you have very decent walking shoes) Top of the Hub has the best view of the city. Cons is that it can be expensive and crowded. Legal Seafood in the Harbor also has ok view.

The Duck Tour Amphibious vehicles are good for most tourists, I don't know if they're operating still (believe they had fatality accident last year but thats not the norm) but always check to see.

You can also do a tour of the Boston Harbor Islands. Worth checking out if you need a down day.

For the intellectually inclined,I recommend the MIT Museum in Cambridge. Heck go to all the museums...lol But the MIT museum is really interesting for tech heads.

@RED, where in Maine? His family had property by the Acadia National Park but sold it as it would have been too expensive (for us) to build a place on it. did have 4 miles of coastline though!! We would drive sometimes from Mass to Portland,ME which is maybe 5 hours (depending on how fast you drive :whistle:)

Also if you want to do something adventurous...Mount Washington in New Hampshire is very fun :) Must dress in layers though (it really does have its own weather system up there)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the info Kbell! It is going to be hard to decide what to fit in. Plimouth Plantation is one of the things on our list and the Freedom Trail.

Arcadian thank you also! I want to do the Freedom Trail and we will add in the USS Constitution because I love tall ships! We probably won't be able to fit in the MIT Museum which is a bummer. I have taken a full private tour of 3M in St. Paul and it was amazing with their history and invention center.

Last edited:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
My family and I are driving to Montreal to see the old city. I am so excited as I have never been out of the U.S. From the pictures I have seen it is beautiful.

First time I will be getting a passport and using foreign currency. I have also always wanted to see the Falls from the Canadian side.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the info Kbell! It is going to be hard to decide what to fit in. Plimouth Plantation is one of the things on our list and the Freedom Trail.

Arcadian thank you also! I want to do the Freedom Trail and we will add in the USS Constitution because I love tall ships! We probably won't be able to fit in the MIT Museum which is a bummer. I have taken a full private tour of 3M in St. Paul and it was amazing with their history and invention center.

The Freedom Trail- my husband and girls took it last year and loved it. And they enjoyed the duck boats as well.

If you can come into Rhode Island. Fantastic beaches here.

Do know that it involves a lot of walking which is why I did not go. And try not to do it on a very hot day because there is very little shade.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian - hey, do you know of anywhere in the keys you can snorkel from off the beach and see lots
of pretty fish? I've been diving in the keys but its been off a boat so dont know any of the local areas.
An RV sounds fun to me...not driving it but just having it and never having to unpack.

ecf - Paris, really? Jealous:D! I have not made it to Europe yet...I'm still trying though. I'm waiting
till my DD gets older then hoping to hit a lot of countries because it will probably be the only time I make
it over there!

Ruby - I love Canada...so pretty but we were in New Brunswick which I believe is totally different
then Montreal. I have done the US side of Niagara Falls...amazing! Would not mind taking the family
there.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty, will be my first visit by car but I was told about a couple of national parks in the Keys as well as some gorgeous state parks.

This one appears to allow diving
https://www.nps.gov/bisc/learn/nature/keys.htm
https://www.nps.gov/bisc/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm

This one isn't accessible by vehicle (phooey because it looks pretty darn cool!)
https://www.nps.gov/drto/index.htm

This is a state park right along the over sea highway.
http://bahiahondapark.com/

I like the thought of having an RV too mainly because we're going to be taking a lot of stuff + the dog (her royal highness does not like to share her part of the car with ANYTHING...lol) and I'd be able to bring her crate. Of course pluses for the house is being able to see the sunrise and set in the ocean every day.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Arcadian...I would be snorkeling...DD is not certified and I have done very little diving since
the kids came a long. We did do some snorkeling in West Palm Beach near an island (in the
inter-coastal) called Peanut Island. We saw a spotted eagle ray, lobster, turtle and lots of pretty
colored fish. My DD just loved it and I would love to show her some more. I could not keep her
out of the water. Just such a different and beautiful world to share with the kiddos.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confirmed summer plans: Kenny Rogers concert, John Mellencamp & Emmielou Harris concert, Lady Antebellum concert, and (eeeeee!) Josh Turner (7th row center).

Very likely, but still need to buy ticket: 3 day country music festival 2 hours from home. I'll have a 3 day weekend staying in a family member's spare house and going to the festival I've always wanted to go to but never been. (DH home with the animals & kid -- he is so so on country and doesn't like the house I'll be staying in)

ETA: plus "A" will be spending a week with her aunt in Yellowstone plus 3 days in Utah. Then 4 days with her mom later in the summer. (Yay for a little alone time with DH!)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer for vacation (or holiday as some of you put it:cheeky:). I would love to hear what everyone else is planning...maybe I can steal some ideas!

Late Spring I am flying to Athens staying 2 days for sight-seeing then getting on a cruise ship and hitting Santorini, and others (that I have been to already but what can one say? ROMA!!!) :) ending up in Barcelona and am staying 4 days there then home.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well Red, I live in Maine, if you are around the Portlandia East :) city we could hook up! Maine is so so so full of lobstah! I love lobster and it loves my butt and hips! We can try to figure out a place to hookup... not sure how as they don't allow emails etc here... no worries if you don't want to or can't, I understand the family vaKATE! as we call them.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am not sure how far north we will get but I know we are going to Portland. Driving back east seems like it will be different because everything is closer. Out west you are driving many hours to get someplace. We are staying an hour north of Boston near Portsmouth and that is only 1.5 hours to Portland. I am hoping we get to see a bunch in 5 days. I have never learned how to do a relaxing vacation where you do nothing because I feel guilty if I am not trying to see everything there is to see.

Sounds fun Matata!

whoops should have read the whole thread! Portland is GREAT fun Red.. the waterfront is fun and very busy in the summers.. some cruise ships (although they come in more in the fall for the foliage)... I can drive to portland and have a root beer (or wine) with you..... I'll bring my jewelry (I got a new ring from my aunt, it was my grandmother's art deco engagement ring, small stones but exquisite workmanship!)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live right outside Boston. If you like history you could walk the freedom trail - they have tours. Or - Take a duck boat ride. The public garden is beautiful in the summer & has swan boat rides. I love the Aquarium, actually going there this weekend. The Museum of Science is always fun. See a Red Sox game at Fenway! Shop @ Faneuil and dine in the North End. For seafood I like the No Name though I have not had their lobster rolls. I used to pop in to James Hook lobster on my lunch to grab a roll but this is not a restaurant really - take out. In Plymouth I've toured the Mayflower II and checked out Plymouth rock & there's Plimouth Plantation which is neat too. With only 2 days it's hard to choose! There will be plenty of places for lobster in NH & Maine as well. Portland Lobster Company is right on the water in Portland with outdoor casual dining. My favorite place in Maine though is Acadia. Its beautiful!

You can also pop into the restaurant @ Omni Parker house & get mini boston cream pies - the original - sooo good! Also, when in the city only cross when you have a walk signal cuz otherwise us locals get wicked pissed off & may yell obscenities at you lol.

I'm pretty sure the Constitution is still out of water for maintenance, if not, it's quite interesting.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well we (me, hubby, and 2 kids, ages 10 and 13) are going to Paris in July! My brother and his wife will be on sabbatical there, so we will visit them and get a personal, up-close view of the city from a semi-"local"'s perspective. We spent a week with them in Italy a few years ago, and it was wonderful. So looking forward to seeing Paris!

You will love it!!! I love Paris.. it can be very hot in Paris.. bring summer stuff and also rain gear.... you will be in heaven, take a boat ride at dark and see the Eiffel Tower all lit up... Eat Madeleine's! they are better there than anywhere in the world. (that I've been)... I also suggest to get a quick run around - take the on/off tour buses.. your family probably told you all this anyway! make sure you make it to Versailles! it's quite magnificent! I envy you.... have loads of fun and your kids will remember this vacation forever.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One trip to DC planned for June, just a fun weekend getaway. Other than that I am trying to coordinate a trip to Copenhagen with 1-2 day visits to other places. A close friend is moving there for 2 years for work and it will be a great excuse for me to travel overseas. I haven't been out of the U.S. for years!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We're doing a road trip in Colorado. Neither of us have ever been and I'm running in the Pikes Peak marathon this year to top it off.

Not expecting to do well being from a flat city near sea level, but it will be a rush!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Confirmed summer plans: Kenny Rogers concert, John Mellencamp & Emmielou Harris concert, Lady Antebellum concert, and (eeeeee!) Josh Turner (7th row center).

TooPatient - let me know how the Kenny Rogers concert is. Just over a year ago we saw him in concert and it was very sad. He forgot words to songs and stories he was telling. His guitarist had to help him with both. At one point we knew a previously recorded voice was used in some songs because he stopped singing and turned from the mic and his voice was still heard playing. He's been one of my favourite entertainers since I was a teenager. I've seen him at least a dozen times throughout the years and we were shocked at the difference from the concert 2 or 3 years previously. I'm hoping he was still in the recovery mode from his knee surgery that caused his confusion that time.

Sorry to threadjack everyone.

We have no plans to travel this summer. We're finishing up some landscaping which is exciting to us :lol: . We may try to take a couple of weekend trips to our home province this year. Our youngest dog will be in recovery mode from double knee surgery so a lot depends on her.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient - wow, are you going to be busy this summer! I hope you and DH are able to reconnect
since you'll be getting some alone time. ENJOY it ALL!

Tekate - Athens then a cruise...this is one of my dream vacations! I doubt it will ever happen but
I can still dream. I hope you will post some pictures when you get back?

Monarch - I am thinking about the DC thing next summer. I thing my DD will enjoy it if I dont make
her do to many museums! We'll see. So many things I want to do and places I want to go and I'm
running out of time because she is growing up! Copenhagen sounds lovely especially since you know
someone there. That can really make all the difference...hope you can pull it all together.

Chemgirl - Pikes Peak Marathon? Wow...I'm impressed! Cant image all the beautiful scenery you'll
get to look at along the way. Good luck!

Poodles - sometimes a staycation can be the most relaxing of all! Hope your pup does well with
the surgery and that you get all your yard work done (a never ending task for us)!

I'm hoping everyone post pictures of their adventures this summer whether it's a trip to Europe or
something more close to home. I enjoy getting to see what everyone is up to!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
whoops should have read the whole thread! Portland is GREAT fun Red.. the waterfront is fun and very busy in the summers.. some cruise ships (although they come in more in the fall for the foliage)... I can drive to portland and have a root beer (or wine) with you..... I'll bring my jewelry (I got a new ring from my aunt, it was my grandmother's art deco engagement ring, small stones but exquisite workmanship!)

Oh my gosh that might be great fun! I know we are taking day trips from the AirBnB we are staying at in Rye, NH. One of them is to Portland. I will get with you on LT when we get closer and have a better plan.

Has anyone else here done AirBnB? This place looks great that we have reserved and is our first.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh that might be great fun! I know we are taking day trips from the AirBnB we are staying at in Rye, NH. One of them is to Portland. I will get with you on LT when we get closer and have a better plan.

Has anyone else here done AirBnB? This place looks great that we have reserved and is our first.
Okey!! sounds great. I don't have a LT but I can register I think. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results