shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Diet/Weight Loss Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
To help an old Hag like me get her act together. Anyone got any tips to get/stay motivated?
Food plans/Exercise tips. ANYTHING........

If you help me I promise to post before/after pictures. Ewwwwwwwwwwwww, okay- maybe not "before" pictures!!
9.gif

Seriously, it''s time I started taking care of ME- just wanted to share and hopefully get some PS support. Thx
35.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Where do you find this information- do they have a website or is it in a book? Thanks btw. And good for your wife.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Exercise and lots of vegetables and lean protein. And water--you have to drink the water. Every time I have buckled down and stuck to this lifestyle, I have lost weight. And I do believe there is some truth to the white flour/bad carb thing, so cutting back on those and not eating any carbs at night will help.

it''s hard...very very hard.... we LOVE going out to dinner and it kills us.
20.gif
14.gif
15.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Want the fast way to lose between 15 and 25lbs?
Chop off your head!
36.gif

12.gif

35.gif

11.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 5:25:45 AM
Author: strmrdr
Chop off your head!
36.gif

12.gif

35.gif

11.gif
Boy, when I saw that you had replied I thought "be prepared"

Ha- how much weight would I lose if it was my husband''s head?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
yeah- here''s a tip. Stop eating so much LOLOLOL....SO just kidding sevens.
It''s all about moderation and getting that metabolism up! (which I can''t seem to get a hold of)!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
How about weight watchers? I just joined 3 weeks ago and I already lost 5 lbs - that''s SO FAST in my opinion! And after the first few days, it''s really easy!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Good for you Treysar!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
You''re an inspiration.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Let''s wire our mouths shut.

(although milkshakes and Carvel soft serve could slip through...)
18.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2004 8:10:46 AM
Author: sevens one
Date: 12/2/2004 5:25:45 AM

Author: strmrdr

Chop off your head!

36.gif

12.gif

35.gif

11.gif
Boy, when I saw that you had replied I thought ''be prepared''

Ha- how much weight would I lose if it was my husband''s head?

LOL dunno.
But If I knew the answer to the original question i sure would use it.
Iv tried bout everything at one time or another.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2004 1:19:25 PM
Author: treysar
How about weight watchers? I just joined 3 weeks ago and I already lost 5 lbs - that''s SO FAST in my opinion! And after the first few days, it''s really easy!
It''s one of the only sensible diets out there. You don''t deny yourself the pleasure of eating & you eat a balanced diet.

I don''t know anything about the blood type thing; but, I agree w/ Fey that different things seem to work for different body types.

The best diet book that worked for me was Andrew Weil (Wiel?). Good carbs, plenty of veggies, fruits & having each flavor (salt, sweet, etc) every time I eat. I don''t feel like I''m denied anything. I live to eat & I''m pretty blessed w/ a fast metabolism. But, I still have to watch what I eat at my age.

Lunch - a few potatoe chips (only Utz''s Kettlecraft - they provide the crunch & is fried in nothing funky - just peanut oil), a few walnuts, an apple or carrots, a small piece of fresh mozerella cheese (part skim) & a piece of dark chocolate for dessert.

Dinner - give me my carbs! I try to eat the better carbs - but I can''t exist w/o my pasta & rice. But, they don''t seem to be a problem for me. I just need to stay away from bread.

Fish! Fish! & Fish! - my favorite is Tilapia broiled w/ a butter & lemon sprinkle.

For a butter subsitute - SMART BALANCE. It tastes great. Doesn''t have the fat of butter & no trans-fats that margarine has.

Good luck! Make a game of it. That''s why I think Weight Watchers works for so many people.

Yes, the water thing. You feel fuller quicker & it helps speed up the digestion process. I drink no soft drinks at all. But, I will treat myself to wine at dinner.

At the end of the day, it''s the stuff you don''t think has calories that indeed are loaded. You may think you are going diet with a salad. Some salad, once you add cheese, bacon bits & dressing can have more fat & calories than a burger. I use either Ken''s lite olive oil vinigrette or just a good Balsamic vinegar.

Garlic olive oil & balsamic vinegar are your friends.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the tips Fire & Ice.

Fed- I''ll check out that site. Double dipped peanuts.....argh.................
9.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F&I, I like Talapia too but I saute in a pan with olive oil and some seasoning.

I have lost 20 pounds during the last year and have kept it off. Mainly eating healthy, lots of green leafy veggies, chicken breast, shrimp, and fish. I try to excercise every day walking at least 10K steps, or do aerobic DVDs in the confort of my home.

Still have 15 pounds to go so I can get down to 115 (I am 5''4").

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2004 2:53:15 AM
Author: cflutist
F&I, I like Talapia too but I saute in a pan with olive oil and some seasoning.

I have lost 20 pounds during the last year and have kept it off. Mainly eating healthy, lots of green leafy veggies, chicken breast, shrimp, and fish. I try to excercise every day walking at least 10K steps, or do aerobic DVDs in the confort of my home.

Still have 15 pounds to go so I can get down to 115 (I am 5''4'').
Good for you Cflutist. Another inspiration for me.
Wow- 115- nice. I''m sure you''ll get there soon.

Fed- I was just joking with ya!
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
If God came down and said , "I'll make you 115 lbs if you cut off one of your arms," I'd really think about it. of course, at 5 ft 6 in, I'd really be emaciated but think of the fun I'd have eating my way back up (with one hand, of course).
11.gif
3.gif
2.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I think I weighed 115 once- When I was in HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
120 to 125 would be ideal; impossible but ideal. Darn Hips. Thanks MOM
12.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Seven''s One:

Good for you.
emthup.gif
Have you considered consulting a dietition and having him/her suggest a balanced meal plan for you ? For e.g. you''d be amazed how reasonable and nutritionally sound a "diabetic type diet" really is, with simple things like "no added sugar", etc. Moreover they can advise you on combo''s of foods that enhance metabolism/provide energy. I also second the suggestion for increased consumption of water--unless you have renal (kidney) or hypertension (blood pressure) concerns.

Of course, exercise is a wonderful addition to healthy eating--and walking is quite "easy" and something you don''t need "equipment" for. I find I love my stationary bike, and also use ankle weights to increase leg strength and diminish unwanted leg/hip flab. Just using ankle weights and walking the stairs in your house, can get things going--starting slow and stretching so as to decrease the incidence of stress injuries. I love how good I feed after excersing and I bet once you get into a habit of doing "something" you will feel great too and be in no hurry to give it up!!!

I once worked with a MD who told me "I don''t live to eat, I eat to live". I thought it was kinda a good mantra................

cheers--Sharon

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nan, well better in the hips than in the stomach where my fat is. I read in a fitness magazine that you are prone to more health problems if your fat is in your abdominal area which is where mine is. Jennifer will tell you, I am a size 8 on top, a size 8 on my hips, and a size 14 waist. It is very difficult for me to buy clothes ... can''t buy suits but rather separates.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2004 9:57:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI Seven''s One:

Good for you.
emthup.gif
Have you considered consulting a dietition and having him/her suggest a balanced meal plan for you ? For e.g. you''d be amazed how reasonable and nutritionally sound a ''diabetic type diet'' really is, with simple things like ''no added sugar'', etc. Moreover they can advise you on combo''s of foods that enhance metabolism/provide energy. I also second the suggestion for increased consumption of water--unless you have renal (kidney) or hypertension (blood pressure) concerns.

Of course, exercise is a wonderful addition to healthy eating--and walking is quite ''easy'' and something you don''t need ''equipment'' for. I find I love my stationary bike, and also use ankle weights to increase leg strength and diminish unwanted leg/hip flab. Just using ankle weights and walking the stairs in your house, can get things going--starting slow and stretching so as to decrease the incidence of stress injuries. I love how good I feed after excersing and I bet once you get into a habit of doing ''something'' you will feel great too and be in no hurry to give it up!!!

I once worked with a MD who told me ''I don''t live to eat, I eat to live''. I thought it was kinda a good mantra................

cheers--Sharon
Thanks alot Sharon. Such good tips.

Everyone is being so helpful- I feel the love. Really I do.
31.gif

I even walked on the Treadmill tonight and did some stomach exercises. Hurraaay

Anyway- thank you all. I have a very long road ahead of me. I''m just so tired of "I''ll start tomorrow" Today needs to be my "tomorrow".

(cflutist- sorry about the size issues. What a pain.)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2004 11:35
6.gif
8 PM
Author: sevens one

(cflutist- sorry about the size issues. What a pain.)
I''ve seena picture of cflutist and she is adorable--and TINY. I don''t believe this! Liar, Liar, diamonds on fire.
2.gif
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2004 7:28:27 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
If God came down and said , ''I''ll make you 115 lbs if you cut off one of your arms,'' I''d really think about it. of course, at 5 ft 6 in, I''d really be emaciated but think of the fun I''d have eating my way back up (with one hand, of course).
11.gif
3.gif
2.gif
Dear Jen:

Except for pregnancy, I have been between 110-112 lbs all my adult life and I believe my athletic 5 ft 6 in frame bodes it well. Of course, and much to my chagrin, I have no cleavage whatsoever (more like chest wall)!!!! Boohoo no boobs.

cheers--Sharon

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s how I lost 15 pounds this year (162 -> 147 lbs, 5''5", med. build). I moved into a 4th floor apt with no elevator (3 flights of stairs), I bicycled 2 miles round trip to work M-F, and carried my bike upstairs to my apt for storage. Also, I started shooting for 4+ servings of fruits and veggies a day (I was a bad vegetarian!!), and the pounds just melted away.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 3:46:13 PM
Author: JCJD
Here''s how I lost 15 pounds this year (162 -> 147 lbs, 5''5'', med. build). I moved into a 4th floor apt with no elevator (3 flights of stairs), I bicycled 2 miles round trip to work M-F, and carried my bike upstairs to my apt for storage. Also, I started shooting for 4+ servings of fruits and veggies a day (I was a bad vegetarian!!), and the pounds just melted away.
Wow- JCJD- talk about lifestyle changes. Wonderful.

I appreciate all the tips- I''m very weak where discipline is concerned. I''ve gotten lazy and into bad habits.
Thanks for all the feedback. I''ll keep you''ll posted. Hopefully THIS time I''ll stick with it.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks sevens! I have been biking about a mile each way to and from work since starting grad school in 2003, so the biggest lifestyle change was carrying the bike up and down 3 flights of stairs every day. Also, I''ve been vegetarian for 10 years, but really got serious about what I eat recently (more veggies and fruit, less junk and simple carbs).

What I''ve learned through my own weight struggles as well as my mom''s, sister''s, and several friends is that baby steps are the key to success! I lost a ton of weight when I was running 4x/week, lifting, and counting calories, but it was too much too fast and I couldn''t keep up that kind of discipline. Moving to this apt also forces me to exercise daily, which I need when I''m feeling lazy! I''d suggest you begin with slowly changing your lifestyle to a healthier one you can live with for the rest of your life, tiny steps at a time.

I have a good friend who''s lost about 80 pounds with Weight Watchers and loves them, so that would be a good option too. She always says that if you slip on your diet today, that doesn''t mean your diet has failed or is over! Baby steps are the key to success!! Good luck!!!
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks JCJD. You''re sweet.
35.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 11:35:17 AM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 12/5/2004 7:28:27 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
If God came down and said , ''I''ll make you 115 lbs if you cut off one of your arms,'' I''d really think about it. of course, at 5 ft 6 in, I''d really be emaciated but think of the fun I''d have eating my way back up (with one hand, of course).
11.gif
3.gif
2.gif
Dear Jen:

Except for pregnancy, I have been between 110-112 lbs all my adult life and I believe my athletic 5 ft 6 in frame bodes it well. Of course, and much to my chagrin, I have no cleavage whatsoever (more like chest wall)!!!! Boohoo no boobs.

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, I''ve got enough boobs for both of us.
14.gif

Even when I was thinner (size 6-8), the smallest I ever was was a 36C.
20.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please, Please Jennifer ... can I have some? I barely fill a padded 34A.
Pretty please, with diamonds on top?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2004 12:12:52 AM
Author: cflutist
Please, Please Jennifer ... can I have some? I barely fill a padded 34A.

Pretty please, with diamonds on top?

Put me on the list too. I''m so flat "I make the walls jealous". (baby sisters can be soooooo creative).

I''ve struggled with weight since I was 11- not with losing it, but with being sane about it. My husband is a big guy, he loves to eat, it''s been hard to strike a balance between my neurotic food obsessiveness and his go for the gusto attitude. After he became a full-fledged white collar dude, he put on quite a bit of weight. He hates to exercise, loves to eat. Difficult weight loss combo. What has worked for him is (as previously mentioned) making sure that he gets his 5 fruits and veggies a day. He takes the stairs and avoids the elevator, parks his car far from the front door. He tried the regimented diet thing dozens of times, it was not for him. Good luck.
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2004 11
6.gif
6.gif
2 AM
Author: Feydakin
ttiwwp.gif
Well said: HO HO HO!!

cheers--Sharon

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2004 11
6.gif
6.gif
2 AM
Author: Feydakin
ttiwwp.gif

HAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That''s a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results