shape
carat
color
clarity

Any DELL notebook owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I am in the market for a new Dell laptop and *thought* I had it narrowed down to the E1505 or Inspiron 6400.

The only thing holding me back at this point is the dang TOUCHPAD! I want one with scroll bars on the touchpad, like in the picture (which is my friend's 6000, the predecessor to the 1505).

In the photos on the website and in the catalog, the touchpads (on all but the XPS models) look totally plain. I have CALLED Dell and CHATTED with Dell and have gotten conflicting answers. I am frustrated because each time, the representative's English was very limited and I am not sure my question was even completely understood!

My husband thinks that the newer laptops may still HAVE the scrolling areas, but that they are "invisible", not marked out like in the picture. That would be fine with me, but I can't get ANYTHING out of Dell about that.

Does ANYONE know?!
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
Thank you so much!

Lynn

PS If this is the wrong forum, please forgive! And please feel free to move it!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OOOPS, forgot the picture. DER!!!!

TouchpadDell6000.jpg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Both my sony and my (older... like last years model) have the scroll feature but they''re invisible and just have to be turned on in the settings. If you order it and it doesn''t have the feature you can always return it... a hassle but certainly possible.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The scrollbars are there - they''re invisible but they''re there. I have the Inspiron 700m and I LOVE IT!!! Used to have the Dell Inspiron 8000 a few years ago...only replaced it because it was antiquated. It still worked fine, just slow. Anyway, my 700m doesn''t have any markings on the touchpad but if I drag my finger down my touchpad where the markings on your picture are, it scrolls.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm i have an inspiron ... 8100 i think? anyway...i dont remember if it has scroll bars as i am at work right now and my laptop is at home.

what do the scroll bars do?? i typically have a mini optical mouse attached, i cant use those little touchpads very well!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 8000 had the little nubbin thing in the middle of the keyboard for moving the pointer around, in addition to the touchpad and I actually preferred the nubbin. I used to use it all the time. But I guess most people didn't so now the touchpad is the only option. It allows you to scroll down the page without keeping on tapping the touchpad, sort of like what a rolling wheel does on top of a mouse.

It took me awhile, but I've finally gotten used to the touchpad.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Hey, thanks everyone. I am happy to hear that the scroll areas are still there, just not marked. I just wish someone at Dell could have explained that to me!

I really like that feature. Mara, as mentioned above, those little areas just let you scroll the screen easier, like a mouse. But it's handy when it's not convenient to use a mouse.

PS Mara, tell me more about your mini-mouse, please!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh mine does have it on the touchpad, I have the Inspiron 6000. You learn something new every day!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t used my mini optic mouse on this new computer - I feel like it''s crapped out and I don''t know why. Doesn''t hold charge long anymore. Mine is from iogear, so beware.
2.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
My son's should arrive tomorrow! We stayed home all day today waiting, and UPS came during the one hour of the day that we left for his orthodontist appt! It's a custom built jobby for his Laptop program at school next year! Way too much $$ and no discounts apply! Boooo hisssss...

My husband has an Inspiron somethingorother and it's been alright, although Dell couldn't seem to fix it so he could get online, so we had to find alternate means! Not impressed with their tech support at all and I'm pretty sure that they were in another country and didn't have much of a clue! We would have gone with another company for the new laptop, but the school program didn't allow us the option!

The ordering process got messed up for several weeks, and we're still not getting the LoJak until later...so I'm really hoping that this Dell experience starts looking up soon or I'm going to have to boycott!

ETA: This had nothing to do with the touchpad question...just that I'm PO'ed at Dell and upset about wasting my whole day waiting for something that wasn't diamonds! Sorry!!
1.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I have the Inspiron 6000 and it does have the scroll pad....I loveeeeee this feature and would definately want it on my notebook!!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lynn,

I have the Inspiron 700m. Your husband is correct. The scroll areas exist on mine, but are not marked. In general, I''ve found the touhpad to be very sensitive. I use a usb mini-mouse when stationary, but on airplanes etc., I just tread lightly on the pad.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

John, can you please tell me a little more about your "mini-mouse"? Is it actually physically smaller than a regular mouse? Did you get it from Dell? Can you possibly post a photo of it? How would it compare to a bluetooth mouse?

This laptop stuff is *new territory* for me, I have only had desktops. So I need *HELP*!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
And believe me, YOU guys have been FAR MORE HELPFUL than Dell!!!
23.gif
20.gif

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently using my FI''s new Dell right now. He just got this E1505 last week and it DOES have the scrollbars marked on the touchpad. It''s a great notebook pc, and he''s been very happy with it so far.
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
You "mini-mouse" owners... what is the approximate size of your mouse? What are the advantages of that over a regular sized mouse? And do you find it comfortable/convenient for everyday use? Any input/advice?

THANK YOU!
Lynn

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I have a mini mouse with a scroll wheel that I use with my Toshiba Laptop and I think it works pretty well. I think I would have gone with a larger wireless optical mouse though in hindsight, because sometimes if I have to use the computer for a long time my hand gets tired from using the smaller mouse (more strain than noticed with a larger full size one).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2006 6:56:06 AM
Author: Lynn B

John, can you please tell me a little more about your ''mini-mouse''? Is it actually physically smaller than a regular mouse? Did you get it from Dell? Can you possibly post a photo of it? How would it compare to a bluetooth mouse?
Here you go Lynn. It''s a bit smaller than a business card, about 3" long. It''s a Targus USB mouse. I got it for around $20 at Fry''s electronics (details here).

TargusMiniMouse.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Equestrienne! I am so happy to hear that on the exact same laptop I plan to get, the scroll bars are there! YAY! Thank you for the post!

And John, thank you for the thorough info on the mini-mouse! How thoughtful of you.
I *think* I will get a regular size mouse, though... the post above about comfort got me thinking maybe that would be my best choice. At least for my *first mouse*... I can always get a little one later.

Thanks again, guys. It is amazing to me that I found my answer, NOT from Dell or even from the Dell FORUM where I posted the question... but from my friends here at PS! xoxoxox!

Lynn

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I''ve never used those things. I''ll bet they''re there tho. Whether invisible or not. I seem to recall them on our old Dell Laptop. I just tried it on the Lenovo Thinkpad T60 I''m using right now, even tho it doesn''t have bars printed on the touchpad area. It works. Prolly a standard feature on all touchpads.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have the 700m..love it because it is small and great for travel!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
So true. I used to have a larger notebook and it was a bit big for comfort when flying. The 700m leaves room for the guy in front to lean back & shares the tray table nicely with peanuts and a beverage.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2006 6:10:52 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
So true. I used to have a larger notebook and it was a bit big for comfort when flying. The 700m leaves room for the guy in front to lean back & shares the tray table nicely with peanuts and a beverage.

What''s the screen size of the 700m?

And BTW... do you guys think a 15.4" screen is a nice size laptop for home use AND travel? (Much MORE home use than travel, incidentally.) Opinions, please?! Thank you!

ocbride2007

Shiny_Rock
I have the Dell X1, it''s a 12 inch wide screen. I have quite a few classmates who have the 700m, and they seem to like it, I think it''s around the same screen size. However, the 700m is a bit too heavy and I don''t like the white trim all around. The X1 (available through the small business section of the Dell site only) is 2.5 lbs, and very thin. It is far easier to use on commutes. The only problem with it and all smaller laptops is that because the screen is lower, you have to look down instead of straight ahead, so it''s harder to keep good posture. But I use a stand that brings up the height at home.

But if you are travelling, a lighter laptop is the way to go. I take mine from orange county to LA daily, sometimes on the train and sometimes in the car. But I have brought my old 15"dell that is around 6 lbs, and it was a very noticeable difference from my 2.5 lb x1. Only problem is that the cdrom drive is external, and there is no pcmcia slot. But I have found that over the last year, I have used the cdrom drive maybe 6 times. And it has a compact flash slot and SD slot, so I don''t miss the PCMCIA. Oh, and the other thing, regarding all dells - lately their standard warranty is shrinking, to 60 days in some cases!! And upgrading costs a lot. The x1 is one of the few that comes with a 3 year standard warranty.

I just noticed Dell is now making the D420, another ultralite 12 inch, very similar to the x1.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2006 1:12:43 PM
Author: Lynn B

What's the screen size of the 700m?

And BTW... do you guys think a 15.4' screen is a nice size laptop for home use AND travel? (Much MORE home use than travel, incidentally.) Opinions, please?! Thank you!
Ocbride gave solid Dell info. I'm a DVD watcher so I like the drive in my Inspiron, but the X1 is sweet and 'wafer thin.' Both have a 12" screen.

Lynn, I think a screen around 15" is sensible if you're using it for both home and travel. I retired a 15" Mac Powerbook that was my only computer for a couple of years. Good, functional size.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the 6000 and the screen is a monster. I don''t even know how big it is off the top of my head but I bought it as a desktop replacement but it comes in handy for traveling which I rarely do anyhow. DVD''s on the plane with it is fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results