shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Brian Gavin Blue, J color diamond owners out there?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering one (2+ carats, VS1) and would like to know how the J color is affected by a strong blue flouresence, specifically with a BGD Blue. I can appreciate that BGD Blues should be exquisite since they are of optimal cut, but I have never considered a J color diamond until now and I'm nervous about it. I would love to see your J color BGD Blue diamonds and hear how you feel about them in terms of color (too warm or do they look brighter because of the blue?) and overall performance! Thank you!

ctsamg

Rough_Rock
I was in the exact same position and ended up talking myself to the I (Non-BGD) after seeing a GIA grading set and comparing from side and top.

I can't comment on the BGD but I will say even with a GIA I, I had some bad dreams about the stone appearing yellow. It worked out lovely but I would go H if I did it over.

For me H-I really is the barrier and the J is quite tinted

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a BG Blue K for my wife. Face up to us, it’s blindingly white. From the side, we can detect a bit of tint but it’s not much to us.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I own a BGD J with strong fluoro. It’s only 0.55ct though and it’s bezel set so a very different situation. Colour wise, it was certainly whiter than my BGD K earrings of a similar size (no fluoro), but that’s as far as my comparison goes. It is slightly tinted, but I do see colour a LOT. I see it to an F/G so take that how you will...

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I originally purchased a 1.80 (non-blue) BGD "J" and in person it faced up white (and SO sparkly)but from the side there was a tint. When they sent me the glamour shots one of the photos showed to much tint for my liking and ultimately that's why I returned the stone (once I saw the tint I couldn't unsee it). I do wonder if I hadn't seen the tint in the photo would I have noticed it in person.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this may very well depend on 1) how color sensitive the wearer is; and 2) if they are actually bothered by any tint. I believe these are two very different things.

I have a WF ES ideal cut K with MBF, and it faces up perfectly bright & white to me with only occasional evidence of any tint in certain lighting environments, but that tint doesn’t bother me in the least; in fact, I rather love it and find it gives the diamond some added dimension vs. just being ‘icy white’. I think it’s personal preference, and you may just have to see it to decide for yourself whether you can see it and (if so) if you are bothered by it.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replies! I have been color sensitive in the past but that was also with a diamond in the L/M/N range. I think the bottom line is I need to see the diamond in person to decide. Wish I could just walk in and see it instead of having to buy it and wait for its arrival! Even if I go see a J at a local
Jeweler it doesn’t mean it would be the same. Ah first world problems!

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
If you can, order that stone and see for yourself. It absolutely did not seem tinted to me, like not even “creamy”. It was superrrr pretty. :kiss2:

I also looked at a K color (negligible fluo) diamond and the color really bothered me, it seemed like lemonade.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't have a BGD Blue or a BG stone. However, I recently acquired the J asscher with 3.62ct. I love it. Frankly speaking, if I can afford a D/E, I'd totally ditch this one ad run for the whitest color. However, my center stone often looks whiter face up when compared to the F/G trillions side stone. I went to Kwiat and Tiffany to try asscher and emerald eternity bands, and I cannot really tell the difference of my J vs. G/H band colors...
Not sure what shape you are considering...but round def shows even less face-up color.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
If you can, order that stone and see for yourself. It absolutely did not seem tinted to me, like not even “creamy”. It was superrrr pretty. :kiss2:

I also looked at a K color (negligible fluo) diamond and the color really bothered me, it seemed like lemonade.

Thank you for chiming in! I wish I could have been there to look at the stone with you! LOL! Even from the side it didn't look tinted?

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a BGD Blue or a BG stone. However, I recently acquired the J asscher with 3.62ct. I love it. Frankly speaking, if I can afford a D/E, I'd totally ditch this one ad run for the whitest color. However, my center stone often looks whiter face up when compared to the F/G trillions side stone. I went to Kwiat and Tiffany to try asscher and emerald eternity bands, and I cannot really tell the difference of my J vs. G/H band colors...
Not sure what shape you are considering...but round def shows even less face-up color.

Thank you! I am looking at round.

cottoncandy

Rough_Rock
Thank you for chiming in! I wish I could have been there to look at the stone with you! LOL! Even from the side it didn't look tinted?

It didn’t look tinted face-up, but it was tinted from the side. I’ve never seen anything warmer than F look “colorless” from the side.

Top stone: J colored BG Blue (with SBF I think?)
Bottom stone: H colored CBI

44BE835D-CE78-4B77-A3C8-919B3460EFC3.jpeg

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, you had the chance to see it?? :o
EDIT: sorry, I saw they just added the pictures!

Everything about that Cape collection stone is as close to perfection as one can expect. In the past I was not so into these types of stones (brainwashed by jewellers into thinking that colourless was the best). I now know better.

Funion

Rough_Rock
78248FB9-16F1-4029-8339-89B9AC477A90.jpeg This is
a J VS1 with SBF and looks perfectly white to me in the bezel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results