shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
First off, let me repeat the sentiments of many others before me that this forum is truly extraordinary. I''ve learned such a tremendous amount since I first started searching for the ering that I still can''t believe it.

Here''s where I stand in my search to date...

My girlfriend loves gold, so I''m going with that as the metal in my setting. Probably yellow but there''s still a part of me considering pink(rose).

I''ve also decided on a halo setting along the lines of the tacori 2620 or even the 3 stone 2623, or the stardust N1626
http://www.stardustdiamonds.com/detail.php?&pID=288
which just looked spectacular on LFVDoll''s finger. That much I know.

As for the stone, I''m undecided on a RB in these cushion halo settings, giving sort of the best of both worlds(optics and cushion "appearance") or going with an AV or even a jubilee from jon @ GOG. I know there''s been forums on this but I was wondering if any jubilee owners could chime in on this? I''ve searched the forums and haven''t found many pics of a jubilee in these settings. Also, I''d love to hear how a slightly yellow stone might look in a gold setting like these? Different, classic or cheap? My gf is mixed ethnicity so yellow gold tends to look really good on her.

Also, it''s difficult to find photos of these settings(or similar) in yellow or rose gold. Furthermore, being able to compare the appearance of a RB vs Cushion(either a chunky AV or modern Jubilee) in these settings with yellow or rose is darn near impossible. Obviosuly I''m trying to get things perfect(if that''s possible) before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

My brother has purchased 3 stones from Jon @ GOG over the years and has been pleased with him like so many PS''ers. I''ve hesitated in contacting him yet because I still need to narrow things down a bit more and I''ve got time.

My budget is around 15k for both, looking for a 1.3-1.7ct with great optics. If there''s any stones out there that catch people''s eyes as a good deal send ''em my way. I''m not super impressed with what I''ve come across so far on my own.

Thanks for any advice

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome goodcents,
Let me first say that I love that stardust ring...just gorgeous! I wonder if anyone could "paint" it gold. (I forget
the name of the tool that you use to do it). Another thing, I would not go with rose gold unless your GF wears
a lot of rose gold or asked for rose gold. I think a round or a chunky cushion would look beautiful in that setting.
I dont know about a jubilee with its more squarish corners (probably would be ok too though).

Here would be my choices in somewhat lower colors (I dont really know how much that setting is either ...)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6888/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/6935/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7018/

tyty

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
Thanks TyTy, I agree with your thoughts on the rose gold. Maybe a little too much of a risk(even for a gambler like me:)

I''ll take a look at your stone recs, I''m still not quite sure I can pick out a good value when I see it.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Has the GF ever said she would like a ring with a double row of melee halo?

I ask because it strikes me as an attempt to compensate for a smaller stone. I would prefer a single row halo myself and wear the stone proudly.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 3:49:34 PM
Author:GoodCents
First off, let me repeat the sentiments of many others before me that this forum is truly extraordinary. I''ve learned such a tremendous amount since I first started searching for the ering that I still can''t believe it.

Here''s where I stand in my search to date...

My girlfriend loves gold, so I''m going with that as the metal in my setting. Probably yellow but there''s still a part of me considering pink(rose).

I''ve also decided on a halo setting along the lines of the tacori 2620 or even the 3 stone 2623, or the stardust N1626
http://www.stardustdiamonds.com/detail.php?&pID=288
which just looked spectacular on LFVDoll''s finger. That much I know.

As for the stone, I''m undecided on a RB in these cushion halo settings, giving sort of the best of both worlds(optics and cushion ''appearance'') or going with an AV or even a jubilee from jon @ GOG. I know there''s been forums on this but I was wondering if any jubilee owners could chime in on this? I''ve searched the forums and haven''t found many pics of a jubilee in these settings. Also, I''d love to hear how a slightly yellow stone might look in a gold setting like these? Different, classic or cheap? My gf is mixed ethnicity so yellow gold tends to look really good on her.

Also, it''s difficult to find photos of these settings(or similar) in yellow or rose gold. Furthermore, being able to compare the appearance of a RB vs Cushion(either a chunky AV or modern Jubilee) in these settings with yellow or rose is darn near impossible. Obviosuly I''m trying to get things perfect(if that''s possible) before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

My brother has purchased 3 stones from Jon @ GOG over the years and has been pleased with him like so many PS''ers. I''ve hesitated in contacting him yet because I still need to narrow things down a bit more and I''ve got time.

My budget is around 15k for both, looking for a 1.3-1.7ct with great optics. If there''s any stones out there that catch people''s eyes as a good deal send ''em my way. I''m not super impressed with what I''ve come across so far on my own.

Thanks for any advice
What is your definition of slightly yellow?

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
That''s a really good question PP! We''ve never discussed rings and she''s the type who wants a surpirse for sure. I have a good idea of her tastes, she''s artsy and would prefer things to be more on the delicate side(hence the tacori pieces), but part of me thinks she might love the stardust. Unless of course she finds it too blingy:) I think it looks great, but I''d love to see it in gold. I''m going to head up to LA to check it out in person as soon as I can break away from her. Gotta love it! I''m having fun.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nice to see a guy so excited
1.gif

You''re going to love shopping !!!

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
I was thinking a fancy light yellow? But Dreamer, I have zero knowledge and experience in colored stones so I''m merely speculating.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 5:26:48 PM
Author: GoodCents
I was thinking a fancy light yellow? But Dreamer, I have zero knowledge and experience in colored stones so I''m merely speculating.
I wasn''t sure if you meant J/K color as "slightly yellow". Colored diamonds are a whole other kettle of fish. Most of radiant cuts because it helps to trap and enhance the diamond''s color, so unless you like that shape or really want a FLY diamond, I''d stick with the colorless/near colorless range myself.

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input dreamer, I really was mostly speculating about getting a FLY anyways. But since the topic is up, what are your thoughts on how much importance(ie $) I should place on having a colorless stone given the fact that I''m going to set in yellow gold? I know this topic has come up a lot but it seems there are differing opinions on the matter. Right now I''ve been looking mostly at F''s but might go to G-H.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the prong metal? I was planning on having platinum prongs in the yellow gold setting but if I end up getting the Tacori, they may charge me about $500 to do this(seems a little steep to me). I would like the ring to look as white as possible from the top view and my thinking was that yellow gold prongs may detract from the stone quality.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A G-H well-cut stone is definitely not going to look yellow at all.

Personally, I think plat prongs are the way to go, especially with yellow gold. It just makes the stone pop more.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colorwise G is usually a sweet spot where most people (except for the very color sensitive) cant see anything. Lots of
people on PS would have no problem with an H either. A well cut stone helps to hide color.

We also have a large number of folks who enjoy their I''s and J''s. However, I think most will say that they can see a
*tint* of color in them but they are ok with that. I''m in the process of ordering a J myself. I have not owned a lower
color stone before so at this point I cant give you an opinion (if this thread is still floating around when I get it I''ll
let you know my thoughts).

All I can say about the prongs issue is that I usually do see white/platinum prongs on gold rings. $500 does
sound steeeeeppp.

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty and Hest. I agree and I didn''t find any of the G stones I looked at too warm at all. I also think I will definitely go with platinum prongs, despite the added expense. I''m looking forward to seeing the stardust setting and being able to compare the craftsmanship to the Tacori. I just almost got caught by my GF typing this so gotta go for now!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Hest and tyty.

GoodCents

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on this stone? Looks nice from the specs. Since my girlfriend prefers things dainty, I might go with a 1.2ct and keep it in the petite Tacori setting instead of going to the medium sized setting. Plus the halo will add some appearance of size I assume.

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/6790/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results