shape
carat
color
clarity

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I feel so silly having to ask this, but times sure are tough!

I am in Houston, Texas. I just graduated with a Bachelor''s degree in Finance and am looking for a job.

Does anyone have any good advice for my job hunt or any valuable contact information in this area?

The hunt has not been very successful and it is so frustrating. Any words of wisdom are appreciated! Thanks, Ladies!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Finance isn''t my field, and I''ve only ever been to Texas a few times.

The best suggestion I have is to do whatever networking you can (take advantage of your Alumni Association, etc.) and also possibly post another thread over in Hangout...it''ll probably get more eyes on it than here in LIW.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I know it''s a bit off-topic. Just wanted to see if anyone knows anything that can help!

GettingDesperate905

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m job hunting right now as well. Mind you I''m job hunting in Toronto, Canada, so I dont have any useful contacts in you''re area, but I can tell you what I''m doing and maybe that''ll help.
At the moment I am applying for EVERYTHING I see that is open, not neccessarily just things within my field of specialty. I know that seems back asswards, but the way I see it, I''d rather be working and job hunting for something more ideal, then not working at all.
Also, I have all ears on the street. All my friends and family are aware I''m working and they are keeping their eyes and ears peeled for anything that may come up.
This is a really tough time to be job hunting, and I really feel your pain. The best advice I can give above all is to just stay calm, stay productive. When job hunting, your full time job is handing out resumes, making phone calls, and keeping an ear to the street.

Good luck!!

Sugarcicle

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chloe,

The best tip I can give you is network, network, network! Finding a job is ALL about connections. Other than my job in high school, every position I''ve ever held has been a result of someone knowing someone. Don''t be shy about asking people "Do you know if anyone''s looking for help?" My current job came about because my aunt mentioned to her friends that I was looking for a job as a paralegal. One of her friends mentioned it to another friend who works at a law firm. Did I know this person at all? NO. But, via word of mouth, something came about which was a perfect fit.

From what I''ve seen, companies prefer to hire people who come recommended by someone else. If they have a stack of resumes from a classified ad and a resume that was hand delivered by an employee who knows the person applying, that person is more likely to get the interview because they have someone there to vouch for them. You''re at a disadvantage if Houston isn''t a town where you know all that many people. But like a previous poster said, use any and all connections that you have to your advantage. Those connections are truly priceless.

Good luck with the search, and keep us posted.

titian23

Shiny_Rock
Chloe - this may sound crazy as a suggestion to you, it''s not for everyone, but I have had a lot of success in the finance field by becoming an ex-pat and moving to an off-shore location (Bermuda to be specific) where there are a lot of finance jobs and not as many qualified people to do the jobs. I don''t know what your partner does and it may not be feasible to move but if he was also in a career where off-shore firms are looking to hire you can find it a VERY lucrative place to be. You might try googling off-shore recruitment firms and discussing your options.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have been trying everything. I know the importance of networks and am trying to increase mine. I think I''ll stand out in person more-so than on a piece of paper. Luckily, I work at a restaurant and have been getting some leads through my customers. One man even helped me A LOT with fixing up my resume. And now my fellow pricescopers are in my network too!
37.gif

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
Well, congrats. on your degree. The job market is still tough unfortunately. My advice is to apply everywhere (Indeed.com includes jobs posted on other job search sites.) Also keep an excel spreadsheet with the places and positions you apply for. I found that every 100 applications I sent out after I graduated from my undergrad. I got 1 job interview. It took many interviews to get an offer. I''m not in finance, I have my bachelors in Communications, and I''m not from TX, I"m from NY. But if you are open to moving, I would look outside of your area and go where the job is. I''m actually looking (although I''ve taken a break out of frustration) for jobs in CT to be with my SO, and it is difficult, so I feel for your situation. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results