shape
carat
color
clarity

Any advice/UPS France will not deliver ring to me. Holding it at airport.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have experience with this problem?
I bought a ring from The RealReal in the States and they shipped it to France UPS. After much back-and-forth with UPS in France they have told me that they will not deliver my ring to me because UPS France is not authorized to transport items which contain diamonds.
The ring has a few mêlée, for Pete’s sake.
I have to contact a transport company and hire them to deliver the ring. I am thoroughly disgusted with The RealReal, all they had to do was mail the ring to me. I have bought several rings from out of the country since coming here, and I’ve never had an issue before.
Now I don’t know how to get it, or if I find a way, how much it will cost to have it picked up in and delivered to me.
Anyone?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh. Sorry to hear this. It must be extremely frustrating. I'm in the UK and have never had an issue with that, but some countries do love their red tape more than others :lol:

Would it work to ask UPS to return to sender -- say you're refusing the package - and then have the store send it to you (at their expense) they way they should have in the first place?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne Sorry! That’s frustrating. Worse comes to worse can you do a charge back? I’d contact the Realreal first to see if they can fix this otherwise I’d just do a charge back. I hope you get your ring though.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Jaaron, thanks, Missy.
I wrote to The RealReal, and also to a transport company near UPS in France.

The RealReal showed their amateurishness. UPS in France is not authorized to put jewelry with diamonds or semiprecious stones through customs. If RR had not written diamonds, but just gold ring and the value on the paperwork, it would have gone through without a problem.
Always something, right?
Fingers crossed. I have the feeling if I refuse the package I’ll be opening yet another can of worms. This whole conversation with UPS was in French and it took us a few conversations to get on the same page.

Jaaron, I have never had this problem before, and have had diamond rings sent to me both from the UK and from the USA.
I’ll go back to what I had been doing...only buying in the EU. Love the antique rings available from the UK!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne next time you can send it to me and I’ll send it to you. Just in case you see something you love no need to limit yourself to the UK.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Jaaron, thanks, Missy.
I wrote to The RealReal, and also to a transport company near UPS in France.

The RealReal showed their amateurishness. UPS in France is not authorized to put jewelry with diamonds or semiprecious stones through customs. If RR had not written diamonds, but just gold ring and the value on the paperwork, it would have gone through without a problem.
Always something, right?
Fingers crossed. I have the feeling if I refuse the package I’ll be opening yet another can of worms. This whole conversation with UPS was in French and it took us a few conversations to get on the same page.

Jaaron, I have never had this problem before, and have had diamond rings sent to me both from the UK and from the USA.
I’ll go back to what I had been doing...only buying in the EU. Love the antique rings available from the UK!

Sorry this is such a nightmare, hopefully you will get it resolved soon.

When travel is once again an option, you'll have to hop over for some antique bling browsing! Maybe Austina will join us...

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update.
I found a company in Paris that will go to the airport, pick up my ring at UPS, process it through customs and mail it to me. For $355. That is on top of VAT fees, so a total of $680 to get a $1400 ring from the States.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update.
I found a company in Paris that will go to the airport, pick up my ring at UPS, process it through customs and mail it to me. For $355. That is on top of VAT fees, so a total of $680 to get a $1400 ring from the States.

YAY! I am sorry it is costing you so much but very relieved for you because I know how much you want that beautiful ring. So it is worth it @Jimmianne and I am glad you were able to make this work!

ETA Love your new avatar.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update.

Will TRR compensate this given that their lack of care caused the problem?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY! I am sorry it is costing you so much but very relieved for you because I know how much you want that beautiful ring. So it is worth it @Jimmianne and I am glad you were able to make this work!

ETA Love your new avatar.

Missy, thanks. I have to think about it. I think I’m being taken...$100 to ship the ring to me, three hours away. The shipping from the States was $45, and that was higher than the last ring I had shipped here.
So the other charges may very well be inflated as well.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a quote from a other delivery company and it was $56 more than the first quote.
So I’m not happy, but feeling less taken advantage of. Guess it is what it is.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
honestly I wouldn’t even pick up the package, you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. It’s the vendors fault

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly I wouldn’t even pick up the package, you shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. It’s the vendors fault

It is, and I have been jumping through a quagmire of hoops already.
My option is to not get the package. It will be shipped back to TRR.
My concern is that I will have still have trouble. After reading all the complaints about them, I have no faith in the company at all.
They lose merchandise...they do not give refunds in a timely manner. Customers seem to have to go to battle to have things done right.
They have one star out of five with the BBB. At least I’ve learned that I don’t ever want to do business with them again.:wall:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. I’m sorry @Jimmianne
My only advice is if you really want the ring just do it. I’m so sorry it’s become such an unhappy situation:(

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is, and I have been jumping through a quagmire of hoops already.
My option is to not get the package. It will be shipped back to TRR.
My concern is that I will have still have trouble. After reading all the complaints about them, I have no faith in the company at all.
They lose merchandise...they do not give refunds in a timely manner. Customers seem to have to go to battle to have things done right.
They have one star out of five with the BBB. At least I’ve learned that I don’t ever want to do business with them again.:wall:

Sounds like you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Which of thee outcomes will yield you more satisfaction? Can we at least see a pic of the ring? Lol. If you really think it’s a one of. Kind, maybe go for it and consider it a Covid tax?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet! Keep us posted!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not one of a kind, but it’s very whimsical and goofy. 5FEBC85C-3E4D-46D2-AFCA-5B1F480F1BA8.jpeg

Oooooh I recognise this jewellers work, I love his stuff! I believe all his jewels are hand made. Obviously it's second hand via TRR so it's up to them to make this situation right. I think the courier company is taking you for a MASSIVE ride financially :angryfire: I too would choose not get the package and return it back to TRR for a refund.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. Which of thee outcomes will yield you more satisfaction? Can we at least see a pic of the ring? Lol. If you really think it’s a one of.

I agree that the vendor is doing precious little and not buying from them again is no incentive for them to correct issues. WOT an exercise in frustration!!!!!!

That said, I start a "go fund you" set of virtual hugs and collective good wishes for the lovely and honorable @Jimmianne and her gorgeous pooch. Goodness knows I've probably already send you a hundred or two....

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s not one of a kind, but it’s very whimsical and goofy. 5FEBC85C-3E4D-46D2-AFCA-5B1F480F1BA8.jpeg

I love it !

I opened this thread just now in the hope you finally had it on your hand
:(2
im appealed at the money its costing to get it to you now it has actually arrived in your own country

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After revisiting the BBB complaints, I think my safest bet is to pay to have the ring delivered to me and file a claim with the BBB. I would rather pay the addtional money and actually have something to show (the ring) than send the ring back, without feeling reassured that I will actually get a refund.
I got yet another quote yesterday for having the ring put through customs and shipped to me and it was comparable to the other two quotes. So I was not being conned by the first company, it’s just darned expensive.
I just hope when I open the box the ring I bought is actually in it!
(Yes, that has happened to TRR customers).

Update:
I just gave the transfer company permission to pick up the ring from UPS.
Then I went to TRR website to look at my account...and to add insult to injury, there was a note on the account that said the window to return the ring has closed.
So this would be yet another issue would be troublesome to resolved.
I have the feeling that with TRR, logic is not their strong suit.

Thanks everyone for your support.
This is one of those silly life problems that can make one crazy.

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness I’ll be happy for you when this is done with! What a headache and a pain in the wallet, too!

sending you hugs

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, what a pain. I once had something similar shipping from UK to a non-EU country in Europe. Just couldn't find a company being able to ship diamonds. Or if they shipped it could not be wholly insured. It was a mess.
However. UPS USA should have known or checked if UPS France would be able to handle diamonds. It's strange that they shipped it anyways. Get back to them. Either the vendor or UPS should cover for the extra.
Hope it all works out!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, what a pain. I once had something similar shipping from UK to a non-EU country in Europe. Just couldn't find a company being able to ship diamonds. Or if they shipped it could not be wholly insured. It was a mess.
However. UPS USA should have known or checked if UPS France would be able to handle diamonds. It's strange that they shipped it anyways. Get back to them. Either the vendor or UPS should cover for the extra.
Hope it all works out!

Roselina, Thanks for the idea of getting UPS USA involved.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years and years ago I shipped a diamond and sapphire ring from the US to France. It got held in customs because the courier wasn't able to import whatever I'd declared it as - gold jewellery I think. I don't remember how I shipped, it had to be 15-20 years ago, but eventually it was just returned to me. French customs clearance for non-EU imports of jewellery was unreal. There was so much paperwork and red tape involved. I later learned that it was just France and that was normal. It was an absolute nightmare though for me as a tiny DB seller trying to sell a couple of bits to pay for a holiday.

I hope it works out for you!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, @Jimmianne , didn't see this until now!

I'm not in the Paris region atm, so I couldn't have handled that for you atm, but in the future don't hesitate to ping me!!

Sorry about this ordeal!!! What a pain and what a load of BS!!!!!! I have received about of jewelry from the states and never had an issue. Not with UPS, though. I got warned about UPS beforehand.

But I buy quite a lot in Denmark and they send UPS each time. Clearly declared as diamonds. No problem.
So??? W t efff??
(Since that is transported by them inside France as well, righttttt).

David Klass had a problem shipping a wax to me with FedEx needing a courier number or something that we couldn't get... But I think they mixed up B2B and B2C requirements in that case.

I get small ticket items (my personal cut off is around 500$-ish via usps and regular "la poste" And it clearly said jewelry each time. And it has always arrived safely.

I have had diamond jewelry declared as such and sent to my home via FedEx over night. It takes literally 36 hrs from NYC (customs in that case handled by FedEx. They take a fee, but NOT 30%). Sender has to be a business, though. Which in your case it was, right?

I'm puzzled.

I bought some rings on auction inside France and the auction houses have their courier services that come in, pick up and package the items and then ship via secured dpd or DHL or whatever and it has cost me anywhere between 18-25€ !!

It's such a pity because US sellers get more and more reluctant to ship internationally. When done via usps or FedEx professional it's no big deal at all.

I hope you can get your money back!! The shipping department of Therealreal should know better !!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry, @Jimmianne - this really sucks the big one. Nice ring - but for those shipping prices?? Yeah - no. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results