shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique sapphire cluster ring

EAA

Rough_Rock
Hello! I have a antique sapphire cluster ring that needs repair. I've been told it dates to c. 1900. It has a large (5+ carat) pale blue sapphire surrounded by rose and old mine cut diamonds. The stones are set in white gold and the band is yellow gold.
104577r_b_antique_sapphire_diamond_ring.jpg
104577r_c_antique_sapphire_diamond_ring.jpg

The ring is very special and sentimental to me and I was recently horrified to see that one of the diamonds had fallen out. Tragically, the stone is lost and will need to be replaced. I'm working on getting over that trauma; everyone in my family assures me it will be fine, but I know I won't feel that way until it has been fixed. Honestly, I probably should have found a jeweler sooner to look at the condition of the prongs, but I checked the setting regularly myself and everything seemed secure.

I'd love to get some general advice on repairs. Can anyone recommend a good bench jeweler in the NYC or NY area that is familiar working with antiques? I know a lot about these materials and I work in art conservation, so I know exactly what needs to be done, but am having trouble finding a reputable jeweler with this type of experience. And after reading many horror stories about repairs gone awry, I am hesitant to entrust this piece to just anyone. That being said, I know there must be many talented artisans out there who could do this type of repair.

If anyone has any advice on what questions to ask potential jewelers, those are also welcome. I'm assuming I need someone who has access to a laser for this type of repair as I'm concerned that retipping the prongs with traditional solder will not hold up well for this piece. Thoughts?

Also, I'd like to avoid rhodium plating the prongs if at all possible, but what are your thoughts on rhodium plating antiques? I'm leaning toward more of a repair than a full restoration. The prongs are really worn, so I think that fixing the prongs will already change the aesthetic of the piece a little, but I'd like the ring to be wearable on a regular basis, so I think a large percentage of the prongs will need to be improved a little.

Also, any tips on sourcing a replacement rose cut diamond?

Many thanks in advance!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact oldworlddiamonds.com to source a matching rose cut. He is in NY so may be able to do the repair. Ask about laser welding as I have seen other types of welding discolor the metal on antiques. Be prepared for it to look a little different as the prongs will likely need to be rebuilt and it will be freshly cleaned, but better to have that done and everything secure.
The pics are posting small and I would love to see more pics and larger ones if you have them.

EAA

Rough_Rock
Thanks kgizo! I imagine it will look a little different if several of the prongs are rebuilt, but clearly it's the right thing to do at this point.

I have heard of Old World Diamonds. Has anyone had experience with their repairs?

Here are a couple more images that should be larger I think!
Ring capture2.JPG
Ring capture3.JPG

EAA

Rough_Rock
I should add these are not my photos, but professional images of this ring.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a romantic ring!! I know people on this forum have been happy with the pieces they bought from OWD but I don't know if they do repairs to jewelry they haven't sold. Check with OWD and if they do post in Rockytalk or Hangout (those forums get more traffic) to ask if anyone has anything they have repaired and what their experience was. Good luck!

EAA

Rough_Rock
Thanks kgizo!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results