shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique ring?

mina78

Rough_Rock
I have a bit of a Sherlock Holmes style visual puzzle I'd like some help with- using only these (very poor quality) images what information can possibly be gleamed about this ring? In other words if you saw this ring behind glass in a jewellery store, what would be your guesses as to its age, possible metal content, stone cut style, etc.? I understand that nothing can be known for certain without having the ring in front of you and seeing it up close, but any educated guesses /deductions using just this visual information would be much appreciated.

again apologies for the poor quality of the images:

IMG-6261.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a late Victorian ring. I can read Plat on the inside. The blue gem could be a natural sapphire but synthetics were available at this time. The two white gems would appear to be diamonds but the ring is dirty and photos not very clear. Being Platinium you would assume natural gems but as is always possible, gems get replaced.
Lovely ring btw, worth a shot if the price is right.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something about the ring makes me think it was intended to be Victorian in style, but I suspect that it's newer than that. The heart motif that throws me off because similar Victorian rings tend to have ring scrolling motifs in the gallery.

mina78

Rough_Rock
Thanks both for your replies, I'm also torn as to what this ring could be. It was an impulse eBay purchase that should arrive in the post today, so I'll let you know what it turns out to be when I get a good look at. It's either going to be very nice or very average.

I thought it would be worth a try as the partial ring markings in the image could show a segment of an 'IRID PLATINUM' hallmark. Wishful thinking perhaps.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a puzzle. Looks like there is another stamp after “plat”, but I can’t make it out. The heart motifs are throwing me off, too. The “diamonds” are so dirty they don’t look like diamonds. I love a three stone ring so hoping it’s beautiful once you’ve had a chance to clean it. Please keep us posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results