shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Reversible Pendant Watch + Inner

nb-msj

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I have this beautiful antique reversible pendant watch and would love some expert advice on it! It's specs are Platinum, total weight 24,76gm, Diamond and Sapphire, total +/- 2,50ct and set in Chanel and Pave settings!
Would love to know it's era, Victorian / Art Deco etc. Any advice on a value or whom I could contact for more info?
Thanks!

back-view-jpg.643891
full-front-view-jpg.643892
side-view-back-jpg.643893
side-view-front-jpg.643894

nb-msj said:
Thank you so much for your help!! I actually have opened it! I've attached those pics for you to see! The watch is running but I'm having difficulty pulling the button out to change the time!
PLEASE can you have a look at the inner workings and see if anything else pops out at you which may narrow things down some more

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't find any makers marks/stampings, I think you might struggle.

It may well be a generic movement added in to a custom piece by a local jeweller, although the quality does look quite high from the pictures.

nb-msj

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for the reply! Do you have any advise for me from here as to how/who I can get it authenticated?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean an appraisal?
Most larger jewellery shops (Fine jewellery, not Mall type) should have an appraiser on site who can give you are summary of the piece. They will probably charge $100 or so for a written report.
They can estimate diamond weight and give an opinion (these gems are set, not loose) on colour and clarity.
The sapphire are likely synthetic, this is what they used in the 1920s and 30s, and is not an issue.
The value is more so in its beauty as a piece of fine Art Deco jewellery, more than the sum of its parts (ie value of diamonds and platinum).
Unfortunately watch pendants are not terribly commercial, unlike say an Art Deco bracelet, ring or earrings, however there are collectors who appreciate fine pieces such as yours.
I am a long time collector of ladies diamond / cocktail watches, mostly wrist. I would suggest that a fair price is around $4,000. Your appraisal, if for replacement retail or insurance value will be higher, probably between $5,000 and $8,000 but that’s never what you can actually sell it for.
If you wish to sell I would strongly suggest contacting reputable vendors of vintage/ antique pieces and sell through them on consignment. I’m here in Australia so I’m not familiar with who are the best people to consign with. Consignment, like auction isn’t free, between 20% to 30% of value.
I wouldnt recommend selling on eBay unless you are a very experienced seller, it’s a bit of a jungle out there.
It’s very beautiful.
Do not consider any offers less than say $3,000.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Often people who clean and repair old watches will etch the date inside the case, and maybe their initials. Have you found any such markings in your watch? They’d be inside the back of the case, under the movement.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to explain a bit more about antique / vintage watches.
Often times watch movements were “generic” ie “Swiss made”. Yes there were renown watchmakers ie Rolex, IWC, Philip Patek to name a few, but a “Swiss watch movement” was a “Swiss watch movement” and held in high esteem even without a “brand” displayed.
Jewelers and even the big houses like Tiffany and Cartier who made and retailed ladies watches didn’t make the watch movement, they made the cases. That was where the beauty, design and individuality came into force.
Watches were expensive items, given on auspicious occasions ie a 21st, marriage, at retirement. Only a wealthy person could have afforded a beautifully made watch like yours.
Yours, with 16 jewels and 3 adjustments, is a higher quality piece.
You won’t be able to find out who made or retailed your watch if it isn’t actually on the watch and you don’t have the original box.
And yes, if it was a Rolex or IWC movement inside, it would be worth more money but unfortunately ladies watches aren’t quite as “collectible” as men’s watches so their prices never seem to reach stratospheric heights that some men’s watches can resell for (think Rolex Daytona).
The value is in the beauty, quality of workmanship, era and components.
So not having a “brand” doesn’t affect its “provenance”, it literally “screams” Art Deco with that face and people who know, love and buy such exquisite timepieces will instantly recognize your watch for exactly what it is.
I wish I was close by, I’d go over that case with a Loupe, there will be assay marks somewhere on the case.
Please be very gentle pulling the stem out to set time / winding - only in a clockwise direction and please be careful when the case is open. You don’t want to drop or damage the movement or hands. You probably should find an antique store who sells high quality vintage watches and ask who does their watch repairs / services. There are old fashioned watchmakers out there who can clean, oil and service old timepieces. Expensive though, maybe $500 even, but well worth it.

nb-msj

Rough_Rock
Thank you ever so much for your help! I agree it's well worth finding someone well qualified to fix and them have an appraisal done!
Greatly appreciate your reply!

nb-msj

Rough_Rock
I've actually not gone as far as actually removing the inner workings, I only opened so I could see the inside. I think it best before I end up causing it some harm :) that I take it to a professional!
Thanks so much for your reply!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results