shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique? Or not? Please help!

Katiecm

Rough_Rock
IMG_2200.JPG Hi, all,

I'm new to this forum. I just found this piece at a thrift store today. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this style of ring and could tell me if it might be very old. It certainly looks old. The portrait seems to be painted on ceramic. But I can't be sure of the material.

There are no markings on the inside -- in fact, it appears the top of the ring broke off the original band and was affixed to a new one a long time ago.

Any input would be much appreciated! And if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Katie

Katesimone

Rough_Rock
To my eye the portrait doesn't look very old, I think it's more likely a modern ish reproduction of a Georgian style. The setting is hard to tell from the pic, could you post a pic of the back?

Conversion pieces are getting more and more popular, it's when people take part of an old stick pin or brooch and add a new shank to make it into a ring - that could have been what's happened to your piece.

Katiecm

Rough_Rock
To my eye the portrait doesn't look very old, I think it's more likely a modern ish reproduction of a Georgian style. The setting is hard to tell from the pic, could you post a pic of the back?

Conversion pieces are getting more and more popular, it's when people take part of an old stick pin or brooch and add a new shank to make it into a ring - that could have been what's happened to your piece.
IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2205.JPG IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2209.JPG
Thanks for your response! Here are more images of the ring. I agree that the portrait might not be as old as I thought or hoped. The reason I think it might be an antique is that someone clearly went to lengths to fix the ring.

Thanks!

Katie

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like costume jewelry from the 1970's.
Someone used a soldering iron to attach another band to it.
This was common practice when a beloved costume piece broke.
I have several vintage (1960's) brooches that were repaired this way.
Not antique, but still cute!

Last edited:

Katiecm

Rough_Rock
It looks like costume jewelry from the 1970's.
Someone used a soldering iron to attach another band to it.
This was common practice when a beloved costume piece broke.
I have several vintage (1960's) brooches that were repaired this way.
Not antique, but still cute!

Great information, thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results