shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Garnet Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hey there everyone. I was browsing the mall jewelers earlier as I was waiting to meet someone, and noticed a gorgeous ring with a square red garnet center and an antique setting (which included some small side diamonds) at a Kay Jewelers. Usually I would refrain from buying anything from a mall jeweler, but I haven''t seen anything quite like this at any of the other local jewelers that I prefer to go to. My question is the price. It was originally marked at $399, but they brought it down to $299. I was wondering if this was overpriced for a garnet stone, or if it was average? The stone was by no means small (I dont know the exact measurements because I was short on time), in fact much bigger than what I am used to wearing, and the setting was just beautiful. I''ll be sure to get all the specs before I buy anything. Any thoughts on the price and the jeweler would be of great help! Thanks a lot.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This must be the first Q about red garnets around here. Glad to see it!

Most red garnets do not start commending any significant price for themselves until way above 10cts, and they are expected for be better than eye clean in any event. Most of the price would be for the cutting and the setting, otherwise the stones sell for $5-$10/ct. Exceptions to this rule are few and far between in stores: a lively purple (this rhodolite color is somewhat more expensive than the usual brownish-red pyrope garnet) would get up to $50-$75/ct in a well cut stone of around 10cts. The best such reds I know of go to $150/ct (for pieces of 15-20cts and above) - and one can expect all the blessings in a garnet at this price. Rough is available in large sizes: the size of cut stones is limited more by the dearth of uses for huge gems and the deep color of the material going black-ish with increasing depth of the stone.

Since I have not seen the stone and have little clue about size, I am afraid there is not too much more I could say.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 2/1/2004 5:15:21 PM ClownFishFunk wrote:

It was originally marked at $399, but they brought it down to $299. I was wondering if this was overpriced for a garnet stone, or if it was average?

----------------

As Val says, you're paying for the gold and the side diamonds, not the garnet. You're not going to get a decent garnet at a mall store--that is typically where they unload the dark red almandine and pyrope garnets, not the nice purple/pink rhodolites (which are more expensive). That said, that price doesn't sound too far out of line for the mall, though it really depends on the size of the setting and diamonds.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello...

Well I'm really not an expert at all about US malls jewelry... But if the stone is really nice and large and the setting is that beautiful, well it does not look that overprice at $299 especially if there are diamonds around ( But as Law Gem said: it depend about the size and the quality of the diamonds...).
Anyway in this case the question would be more: Do you like it? and can you afford it? regarding to the answer to these 2 questions, you will know what to do...
I'have overpaid sometimes some stones, but I've them... and finally I'm very happy with that. Of course there is overpay and overpay...

For your ring whatever its very difficult to give you an idea because whithout a photo: For me its divination...

Take care, and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results