shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Engagement Ring Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spence

Rough_Rock
I''m in the Houston area and looking to purchase an antique engagement ring. I''ve looked at Fay Cullen, but not too impressed with her return policy. I also found a ring I liked at antiqueengagementrings.com, but it was sold the day before I called. I''ve looked locally, but the prices seem to be substantially higher than what I see on the ''net. The only vendor I''ve found that has a ring I like is Evelyn Kay at ekantiquejewelry.com (aka Prestige Gems). When I looked on the BBB website, I found that Prestige Gems had an unsatisfactory rating, so I''m reluctant to purchase from them. Does anyone have experience w/ Evelyn Kay or Prestige Gems? Are there any other vendors I should look at that people have had good experiences with? I''m interested in an authentic (not reproduction) antique ring, platinum filigree, about 1.5 carat (give or take) European cut for around $10k. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Check out singlestone.com and nelsonrarities.com.

spence

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion. After visiting their website and requesting pictures of their inventory, Nelson Rarities just sent me several .jpg files with dozens of interesting rings.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Remember to post pictures of whatever you wind up with.

spence

Rough_Rock
Here is the ring I like at Evelyn Kay:
http://www.ekantiquejewelry.com/antique_jewelry_detail.php?antiquejewelry=1206
I tried to post pics, but the files are too large. I really like the setting, but I am still concerned about the BBB unsatisfactory rating for Prestige Gems/Evelyn Kay. Has anyone out there had experience with this dealer before?

I also wondered what others thought about the price on this ring. The stone is a smaller than I would like, but a better color than I was looking for. The specs: EGL cert, 1.01 ct, E/F, VS, transitional cut. Price is in my range ($8800), but I found similar European cut loose stones priced at dirtcheapdiamonds.com for around $5k. Not sure that I like that setting for an additional $3800 worth. Any opinions on the value of authentic platinum filigree antique settings like this? Thanks in advance for any help.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hm, yes, the unsatisfactory rating would worry me, too. And the prices seem pretty high. On the other hand, they do have pretty things.

Also, their thing of going "estimated appraised value: a billion dollars. Selling price: more than you'd want to pay, but a whole lot less than a billion dollars" turns me off big time.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re in the houston area, I would check out the fine jewelry store (I forget the name) inside the Antique Pavillion on Westheimer near Kirby.

christy1257

Rough_Rock
I too am in the Houston area and am in the process of selecting an antique 1930''s art deco style engagment ring and have done much shopping online - including fay cullen and the other sites you mentioned. Have you tried Past Era in the Antique Pavillion off Westheimer near Kirby??? They have a small but beautiful collection of rings and the prices appear to be above the on-line sites but still reasonable. We will most likely purchase our ring from there - since it is local - can try on and receive expert advice from Marion Glober. Good luck and happy hunting!

spence

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions. A lot has happened since my original post, but I''ll try to be brief. I bought a beautiful 5 stone (diamond and emerald) Victorian ring at A.A. Benjamin (in Compass bank bldg. on Post Oak near Galleria: 713-965-0555). Wasn''t what I originally had in mind, but I knew my girlfriend would love it, since emeralds are her favorite. As we are both Aggies, I drove to College Station and proposed under the "Proposal Tree" (she said yes). Came back and had Amy at AAB look at it - unfortunately it couldn''t be sized small enough for my (now) fiance''s finger. The 5 stones run across the top of the ring and it couldn''t be sized down to a 4 1/2. Amy was wonderful and refunded my money without hesitation. In the meantime, Leigh from Antiqueengagementrings.com called and said the ring I originally wanted was now available b/c the first buyer returned the ring, wanting a bigger stone. I''ve now ordered that ring and it should be delivered tomorrow. Leigh has an extremely generous return policy, but I''m hoping we don''t have to use it. Fingers are crossed.

I had looked at Past Era previously. They do have a great selection, but the more I looked around, the less impressed I was with their prices. A.A. Benjamin didn''t have as large a selection, but the inventory seems to turn over fairly quickly, and their prices were quite a bit better. Amy Lawch was also extremely professional and helpful through the process. In fact, we plan on buying our bands through A.A. Benjamin. Another store I found in Houston is Past Times (713-977-7296). They''re at 6222 Richmond, Suite 540 (same bldg as whiteflash.com and many other jewelers). They mainly do wholesale with dealers, so don''t expect extremely personal service, but the prices were good.

Hope this info helps anyone in Houston looking for antique rings.

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
First, Congrats!
I live in Houston, too, and was thinking that maybe you have info that might help me.
I don''t know if you saw my posts about my engagment ring conumdrum, but my girlfriend wants me to spend absolutely no more than $500 on substantially-sized (she has larger fingers), antique or antique-style non-diamond ring. She''s put me in a bit of bind because her tastes are definitely not in the $500 range, but she keeps saying that such a ring CAN be found, and I hope so. It''s getting pretty frustrating to be so limited.

Anyway, did you happen to notice if any of the vendors you checked out had a lower-range non-diamond selections? I am

spence

Rough_Rock
BeginswithT - sorry, but I didn''t happen to notice if the dealers I looked at had rings in your price range. I would suggest calling around and asking the local dealers if they have what you''re looking for. As I said earlier, as far as local dealers go, I found A.A. Benjamin (713-965-0555) to be the best combination of knowledgable service and good prices.

I got the ring from Leigh at antiqueengagmentrings.com in today. To summarize - WOW! My fiance loves it. For well within my budget, I got an authentic antique Art Deco platinum filigree with a 2.6 carat diamond. Yes, it''s a bit lower color than I was looking for (L/M) but it''s also a helluva lot bigger than I thought I could afford. The color is barely noticeable, and only at certain angles in certain light. I also think the Old European cuts on the antique settings look just fine with a bit of "warmth" to them. Unless you''d been continually looking at diamonds for the last 2 months (like me), you''d never notice the color at all. For anyone willing to buy a ring over the inernet, I can highly recommend antiqueengagementrings.com. Leigh (the owner) also has the best return policy I''ve seen, but I''m quite sure I won''t be using it. I''ll try to post pictures of it after I get a chance to take some. With the exception of a slight reduction in size (from 4 3/4 to 4 1/2) I think I''m finally through with the engagement ring quest. Good luck to the rest of you out there still searching!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results