shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Cushion/Leon Mege

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Hi! I've been lurking in these forums on and off for years and have learned so much from all of you. Specifically, I've learned that I LOVE the work that Leon does and have successfully convinced my BF that he must trust Leon to do the work. More specifically, are the stones he sources the best price around or should I go hunting for a cushion on the various other diamond websites? JA, B2C, etc... How do I even go about searching for an Old Mine Brilliant (which is what many of the GIA reports of the diamonds that Leon has on his website state they are)?

I've read an old thread from 2007 from Boston Jeff and learned a lot there. It looks like he went with LM for his work as well but found the stone on his own.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!

Reactions: AV_

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Nobody? I've been all over looking stones trying to find something that has large enough dimensions without breaking the bank. I found this one at OWD.
http://oldworlddiamonds.com/diamond...=WEIGHT&shape=C&item=diamond&referer=diamonds

I/VVS1, 1.23ct, 8.2x6x3.7, $5800

The proportions are of a much larger carat weight. obviously there is not picture here, but I feel like this could be an incredible bargain. Many diamonds 2-3ct are 8x6. What do the PS experts think? Can you help me find a stone?

Also, What about Victor Canera vs LM? I'd love to hear your opinions!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
León many times wouldn’t work with outside stones, so it might be best reaching out to him. His pace is beautiful, but his prices (I think) have gone up significantly.

Steven Kirsch is also someone who can excite a gorgeous pave setting and vmhe is very easy to communicate to and has a quick turnaround on projects.

VC is a favorite on his forum and his work is beautiful. His prices have also gone up in recent years, I believe.

Maytal Hannah also produces gorgeous hand-forged settings at *I think* a more attractive price point.

Antique stones need to be seen to be evaluated as the reports don’t tell much, so I can’t peovide any feedback on the particular stone you posted. What is your budget for the diamond and the overall budget?

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
I have reached out to both LM and VC. I guess my intent is to take advantage of LM's price match policy if I am able to find a stone somewhere else for less money. Just even trying to find a significant number of these stones to compare different attributes is proving difficult. OWD seems to have the most to compare since LM's AC's don't have prices attached to them on his website.

Overall budget is probably about $15k, but I don't know!! BF is in charge of that. I'm trying to find things I like but keep it under $15K, but if the right thing jumped out I don't think he'd hesitate to spend it. I like stones that are at least 8mm in one direction, so if it's a more rectangular cushion, as above these dimensions work. That's why I thought this was such a fabulous value at $5800 given you can spend double that for a stone with smaller dimensions whose weight is hiding below the girdle. Without any experience, I have no idea how these shallower stones perform, but I imagine it's all very unique from stone to stone.

I'm not married (ha!) to the idea of pave, I just note that many of the simple solitaire settings I like have pave shoulders. I'm a diehard Art Deco jewelry fan, so there are a few vintage setting that VC makes that are indeed swoon worthy!

Reactions: AV_

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get a beautiful diamond from OED you should call and ask for Adam directly. Tell him your budget and what you like and he will find contenders. If you are in nyc you should visit him.

VC gives you a discount on your setting when you get a stone from him. His CACs are beautiful. If I could start all over I would get stone and setting from him. But I’m biased because I’m a fan. He made my setting.

LM settings are very beautiful. Maybe you can ask him to source both for you. I bet that you would get better customer service that way.

I don’t know about SK’s stones but he is a super nice guy and easy to work with. If you’re in NYC I would make an appointment to visit him.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
not in NYC - but your setting (if it's the one in your avatar) is one of my finalists!!! it's gorgeous!! As a relative NOOB to this whole task of finding value, quality, and beauty in stones and settings, I don't even know what CAC stands for!!

All of my parameters are extremely flexible -
For instance - carat weight is not important to me. More important is overall performance, dimensions, and a warm colored stone. But I wouldn't kick an E colored stone out of bed!
I don't want to pay for high clarity unless it's just the right stone at the right price. VVS1 is higher than I feel I need to go, but this stone has that rating. Again, impossible to know how it looks without seeing a video or hearing from a jeweler with eyes on it, but on paper it looks like a value at it's carat weight.
Budget, I guess $15K all in? I have no idea. BF can afford whatever we want, but we're both very frugal and prefer vacations to diamonds!

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
settings I like:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-french-cut-halo-solitaire

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/...rue-antique-cushion-diamond-micro-pave-detail

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/cathedral-band-pave-solitaire-and-vc-antique-cushion

both of the the VC and LM solitaires are similar. I would rather go for these settings if sinking money into the center diamond. The first VC ring is just TDF! Love it!! Feel that proportions might be too big overall though for my short fingered hands. Web-Knuckle is only about 10mm..

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/page-9

CAC - Canera Antique Cushion
Victor’s proprietary recently cut antique style cushions, cut for light performance.
Just look through his thread above and you will see lots of his rings and stone.

Heard of 1st dibs but never bought from them.
Unless you are a colored stone expert be very careful buying colored stones. Definitely ask for help from a friend who knows or the colored stone forum. If you want this post a link in the colored stone forum and ask for their opinions. I’m too ignorant about colored stones except to say that it looks beautiful. That doesn’t mean much.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
settings I like:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-french-cut-halo-solitaire

https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/...rue-antique-cushion-diamond-micro-pave-detail

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/cathedral-band-pave-solitaire-and-vc-antique-cushion

both of the the VC and LM solitaires are similar. I would rather go for these settings if sinking money into the center diamond. The first VC ring is just TDF! Love it!! Feel that proportions might be too big overall though for my short fingered hands. Web-Knuckle is only about 10mm..
Won’t be too big. Victor will make it to scale with the center stone. Can’t hurt to ask him for pricing. One stop shop will make it easier for BF. And his work is impecccable and he is awesome to work with. Easy low key guy. Call and ask to speak to him directly.

AMRN0516

Rough_Rock
Won’t be too big. Victor will make it to scale with the center stone. Can’t hurt to ask him for pricing. One stop shop will make it easier for BF. And his work is impecccable and he is awesome to work with. Easy low key guy. Call and ask to speak to him directly.
I absolutely did inquire earlier this evening and was impressed with customer service. If you have a superior product but suck at getting back to people, then what?? (cough cough , LM) He doesn't have a lot of stones right now in my sweet spot. Nicholas recommended an IF stone at 1.8 ct and $19k hahahaha Nope. I'd love the stone, but not paying for an IF.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely did inquire earlier this evening and was impressed with customer service. If you have a superior product but suck at getting back to people, then what?? (cough cough , LM) He doesn't have a lot of stones right now in my sweet spot. Nicholas recommended an IF stone at 1.8 ct and $19k hahahaha Nope. I'd love the stone, but not paying for an IF.
Right. I would ask about a custom cut. You specify the specs of the stone and victor finds the rough and cuts to your specifications within certain parameters. You need to talk to him about the details. He can do that. I would probably make sure to speak to Victor directly if you consider a custom cut. August vintage also does antique style cushions but I much prefer victor’s Settings. So for that reason I would go with victor. And also Victor does not set August vintage stones. So that’s why you cant get his setting if you get the stone from August vintage.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both Leon Mege and Victor Canera will not set August Vintage cushions. I would follow @LLJsmom ’s advice to contact Victor directly about his Canera Antique Cushions. Tell him what your budget is.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that Leon has access to antique cushion diamonds that have been cut for max light return, not unlike AVC or CAC. Both LM and VC are great designers, no question. If you live near NY it's worth a visit to Leon's studio. Some people have found him difficult to work with; I never did. He made suggestions and was ok with whatever my decision was. Ex: halo of yellow diamonds or not? He said yes, I said no, no problem.

I have only worked with Leon as I am about 1 hour away from NYC.

OWD and JbG have original OMC/antique cushions. I have one, but the ring, a solitaire setting, was made by JbG.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AMRN0516 do you want a genuine antique or are you happy for a newly cut antique-style stone? Or are you fine with either?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Old diamonds are a niche apart of the trade... Try here: WWW

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results