shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique band- platinum or 18k WG?

diamondshopper22

Rough_Rock
I’ve been looking around for an everyday (or nearly everyday) wear stacker band.

I have found a few antique orange blossom bands that I love but I don’t know if I should go with the platinum or choose the18k white gold ones I’ve found.

In your opinion, which would you choose and why?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s really a personal choice. I prefer 18k white gold because it’s whiter..and in my eyes prettier than platinum. Platinum gets a very dull gray appearance with scratches that need to be polished a lot. I hardly ever rhodium plate my 18k white gold...and it still looks good after many years of wear. My daughter-in-law wanted platinum and now she’s sorry because her rings look dull...

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose whichever one is my size and has the crispest pattern. I do have a 18k WG vintage band which is sturdier than my platinum e-ring shank because it’s never gone even slightly out of round and I wear it daily on my dominant hand whereas the e-ring warps a little over time but for orange blossom bands, to me it’s all about their pattern and I want that to be as crisp and clean as possible.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum gets a definite patina, not a bad thing but something to be aware of. I echo Fox and would get the band that's your size that is in the best condition.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinium goes a sort of grey colour as it ages, some people appreciate the patina, others don’t.
18ct white gold if unplated can look slightly yellowish, especially against “fresh” 18ct white gold but you can easily have it Rhodium plated if you love the bright look.
I get my rings done yearly for about $50. I’m pretty hard on rings, it’s mainly the underneath side that needs redoing each year.

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
I love the look of the unplated 18k white gold rings. I have both platinum and 18k in old wedding bands. As said above, size and how crisp the pattern is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results