shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Asscher videos and opinions

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
What do you guys think of the video of this stone? Can you tell if the center is lively and also what do you think of the cut? I feel like I can see a line E to W in the center of the stone? Is this normal with step cuts?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
They're not the best videos to assess a step cut I'm afraid. Alex has great stones so I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with his offerings but he's not one to baby you through the process (take more videos, aset images etc.) so you need to be sure and pull the trigger (or someone else will). Step cuts are mighty hard to choose though so unless you're sure you love what you see, perhaps seek out another vendor? (I'm both a customer of Alex, and an Asscher stalker - did not get my Asscher from Alex).

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Lissen to monipod. I'm an Asscher lover and would never have the guts to buy from Alex. I take weeks or months to decide.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Lissen to monipod. I'm an Asscher lover and would never have the guts to buy from Alex. I take weeks or months to decide.

Lol I have been watching this stone for months and months truly I get it

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
The stone sold, so I'm not sure there is much point in reviewing these videos aside from trying to determine your own tastes.

That said, I'd buy an antique asscher from Alex in a heartbeat, understanding that they may not be "perfect".

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Can you expand on this?
I'm not questioning Alex's integrity, just my own ability to judge a diamond quickly enough to buy from him.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
The stone sold, so I'm not sure there is much point in reviewing these videos aside from trying to determine your own tastes.

That said, I'd buy an antique asscher from Alex in a heartbeat, understanding that they may not be "perfect".

The stone is not sold. I have it with me now and am evaluating it over 7 days. Maybe someone returned it or traded it in for something else. What do you mean by it not being "perfect"? I know you're not referencing this particular stone with your comment but I'm curious what you are referring to?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is not sold. I have it with me now and am evaluating it over 7 days. Maybe someone returned it or traded it in for something else. What do you mean by it not being "perfect"? I know you're not referencing this particular stone with your comment but I'm curious what you are referring to?

Looks great to me. Would love to see any videos or pics you take of it

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock

As someone who never returns anything, I fully admit that it did not cross my mind that was a possibility after they said it had sold.
parks.png

As my reference to "perfect", I'm used to a lot of hand holding, advanced imaging, etc. before I commit to a diamond purchase. This would not be my experience buying from Alex from what I have read. Additionally, several of the diamonds he's posted that I've drooled over in the past have also been graded as "very good" instead of "excellent" cut, which is a mind clean thing for me as the stone is not as "perfect", but ultimately as I've aged I've determined that I care more about what my eyes see rather than what a piece of paper says.

Do let us know if you decide to keep this, it's a gorgeous diamond.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
As someone who never returns anything, I fully admit that it did not cross my mind that was a possibility after they said it had sold.
parks.png

As my reference to "perfect", I'm used to a lot of hand holding, advanced imaging, etc. before I commit to a diamond purchase. This would not be my experience buying from Alex from what I have read. Additionally, several of the diamonds he's posted that I've drooled over in the past have also been graded as "very good" instead of "excellent" cut, which is a mind clean thing for me as the stone is not as "perfect", but ultimately as I've aged I've determined that I care more about what my eyes see rather than what a piece of paper says.

Do let us know if you decide to keep this, it's a gorgeous diamond.

What's "bothering" me the most is the sometimes gray so maybe I should call this the steps being turned off from E to W that I see when looking straight on in some lighting. It is hard to decide because it checks the boxes in so many areas!
Also it does face up small for it's carat weight and is cut 76% deep! This is a mind thing as you mention. I realize you need depth in these stones as well as to achieve that beautiful 20% crown height. I am going to keep it.

Last edited:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
That’s exciting! I love the antique step cuts

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy you're keeping it!!! I love love love antique step cuts. If it were more of an asscher shape I would have jumped on it FAST. Alex has great cuts and I trust his taste.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I'm happy you're keeping it!!! I love love love antique step cuts. If it were more of an asscher shape I would have jumped on it FAST. Alex has great cuts and I trust his taste.

Thanks! It's tough. Asschers are my favorite but I also was looking for a slightly elongated antique one forever. Can't wait to see it set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results