shape
carat
color
clarity

Another WF ACA with fluorescence!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a surprise I received today as I was walking in the sun to a nearby restaurant. Considering I haven’t seen this in the weeks I’ve had my ring, I’m guessing it takes a certain strength of the sun, angle, or perhaps just random luck to see my diamond go blue? It was actually quite pretty - a light babyish blue. My phone made it look darker. I asked my kids if I was seeing things, but they saw it too. I know some ideal cut diamonds go dark in some lighting - but this was definitely blue! Stupid iPhone camera.

8EE1626A-7777-4D4C-BC1C-5AEC9A85802C.jpeg 7CA8E09E-818C-45AC-9784-B5A6AA8EAE02.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't jump to conclusions.
The blue in those facets near the upper edge may just be reflections of the blue sky, or something else blue in the environment.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 1.04.07 AM.png

If it was fluorescence the whole diamond would glow equally blue (that is if the fluorescence is blue and not some other hue).

To find out how much fluorescence your diamond has go in a dark place and shine a UV light onto it.

What does your diamond's grading report say about fluor, and is it from GIA or AGS?

Last edited:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, ok! It’s AGS ideal with negligible fluor

I’ll have to round up a black light to check

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at my avatar - that picture was taken outside in the sun as well. The stone exhibits no signs of fluor though. I am guessing the sky is where the coloring is coming from.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamonds also reflect blue on a nice day with blue skies. The Fluor glow is different - as Kenny said above it is edge to edge.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Kenny it looks more like a reflection of blue in the environment.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
photo 132.JPG
Here is ACA under the sun. I think the blue is reflection from the sky. :think:... I should point my UV light on it to see if it is blue fluor.
photo 28.JPG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
photo 132.JPG
Here is ACA under the sun. I think the blue is reflection from the sky. :think:... I should point my UV light on it to see if it is blue fluor.
DF - post the pics of your Octavia in sunlight to show what fluor can really look like! :)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
photo 132.JPG
photo 28.JPG

Wow, what a pretty blue! I feel dumb for my post, but at least I got some eye candy in replies ;-)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a pretty blue! I feel dumb for my post, but at least I got some eye candy in replies ;-)
Don't feel dumb! I asked a very similar question a while back as my OEC does a beautiful lavender when it's in direct sunlight.
It doesn't have any fluoro in it when I test it under black light (but I found that some melee stones in another ring glow blue, green AND pink and also phosphoresce!!) but in direct sunlight on a cloudless day, it glows whereas if I step into the shade, it just reflects the sky.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't feel dumb! I asked a very similar question a while back as my OEC does a beautiful lavender when it's in direct sunlight.
It doesn't have any fluoro in it when I test it under black light (but I found that some melee stones in another ring glow blue, green AND pink and also phosphoresce!!) but in direct sunlight on a cloudless day, it glows whereas if I step into the shade, it just reflects the sky.

My asscher says no fluro but it glows pink in black light, so :confused:

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Blue and yellow fluorescence
@HappyNewLife
So pretty thanks for posting. I was jus telling my bf about flour. and he went to grab my blacklight/loupe to check the melee on my engagement ring he is holding hostage. Apparently a couple melee have flour 1 blue and 1 yellow. I had never even heard of yellow fluorescence until he told me one was glowing yellow and I looked it up. Now I am even more excited to receive it :geek2:

20141112_193925.jpg

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is cool! I think I have a bunch of different colored flourescent melee too. I think I have blue, yellow, orange and possibly pink. I will do a photo session later when I have more time and post.

JmeeMrie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't know. I have a small loupe with a UV light so I will try in a few hours when I get home (traveling currently).
Oh I just saw this... I have one of those tiny light loupe with UV too.. that's what I use

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, remember AGS negligible doesn't mean none. Not sure who graded your amazing asscher.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loupe battery is dead!!!:eek-2:
:eek-2:
I'm going back to the crater soon (I've been traveling lately more than I have been home) so I am not sure I will have time to get another battery, though will try to take this one out in case I can.

Eventually I will get a pic up!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where's a little green gremlin emoji for envy? :lol: You just have the most amazing things.

@doberman
Well you have one of my favorite fancy yellow rings on PS :love: :appl:

The UV flashlight that I have is made by Streamlight, the same brand that our CSI folks at the police department use (we volunteer there). Amazon has it for about $56. There are 4 modes, low, high, safety, and UV. It is small enough to carry in a medium purse. You can use it to find bodily fluids too, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...&keywords=streamlight+night+com+uv+flashlight

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results