shape
carat
color
clarity

Another Platinum Weddings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum Weddings on the WE channel is one of my guilty pleasures
3.gif
but now I''m starting to think they exaggerate the costs. Our wedding venue was on a recent episode and the cost of food and beverage they quoted was waaaaay off. It was double what it should be. I''ve been going over it in my head and there''s no way the price could be correct, even if they went all out and got every add on imaginable.

I hope I''m not being a Debbie Downer, I just thought it was interesting...

Ms.Goggles

Shiny_Rock
Verrrrrry interesting indeed!
I am going to have to check out PW on On Demand after work today! Do you remember the names of the couple? Am I remembering correctly- are you a Solage bride? It looks so beautiful in pictures...
18.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Maybe they are quoting prices in AUD instead of USD that would account for the wacky figure LOL

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Way to ruin the dream
3.gif
I kid. I always thought those things were a tad off. Especially the jewels- I think most of the brides probably borrowed them and the show helps them in return for the stores getting some publicity. Gosh I miss American TV- this and Whose Wedding Is It Anyway were my version of tv ****

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, no Debbie Downer-ism from you. In fact, I had exactly the same experience you describe: my venue was also featured on that show, but not this season. In fact, my venue RAISED their prices sometime after the episode was shot, and although I''m paying the new, increased prices, my wedding F&B is still way less than the quote from the PW featured event. For fun, I added up (from my rate sheet, reflecting the price increases) all the most expensive options with every possible add-on there is, and I estimated at the very top end of the venue''s capacity (250 people) and I **still** came up $5,000 short of what PW "claims" the event cost.

I think a lot of the prices are trumped-up for TV-viewer impact purposes. For sure...

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t checked the prices but I would definitely agree they are hyped up. i know weddings can get expensive with all the upgrades but some of the stuff is like outrageous!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I always figured they lied about the dress cost. For every one they say it''s about $10K, with "hand beaded swarovski crystals"...yes, but the dress would get that anyway, and the designers they mention don''t sell $10,000 dresses!!! (Pretty sure, anyway.)

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Not very surprising. Remember that show that used to come on VH1 about the celebrities and the things they had? Lifestyles of the rich and famous but about celebrities? Well, they quoted a price for an LV bag I had at the time and still have that was double what I paid for it at the LV store. So it was a flat-out lie.
20.gif

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 2:40:05 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS
Not very surprising. Remember that show that used to come on VH1 about the celebrities and the things they had? Lifestyles of the rich and famous but about celebrities? Well, they quoted a price for an LV bag I had at the time and still have that was double what I paid for it at the LV store. So it was a flat-out lie.
20.gif

Yeah! "The fabulous life of.... (fill in the blank)" It was TOTALLY exaggerated! The vacation resorts in particular...I mean, come on! Some of those places have their rates right on the website, and you can click right on the pricing for whatever suite they mention....bunk.

marchswallowbird

Brilliant_Rock
I watch that show sometimes for the entertainment value, but part of me is just sickened by the over-the-top extravagance. It becomes more about the event than the couple. And truthfully, I find some of the decor and bride''s attire downright tacky. No amount of money will ever make up for bad taste.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I always wondered if anyone checked to see if the prices were right. I mean don''t you have to have a 400k budget to even apply to be on the show? I get dissapointed everytime I see it cause I''ll never be able to throw a party like that. Oh well.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:37:06 PM
Author: marchswallowbird
I watch that show sometimes for the entertainment value, but part of me is just sickened by the over-the-top extravagance. It becomes more about the event than the couple. And truthfully, I find some of the decor and bride''s attire downright tacky. No amount of money will ever make up for bad taste.

I''m right there w/ you marchswallowbird. Not sure if you saw one of the more recent episodes featuring the wedding of a girl who was a wedding planner herself, but I just gagged when she was talking about how they spared no expenses for their flowers b/c "flowers are what make an event a wedding."

Ummmm....I thought what makes a wedding a wedding is two people exchanging vows (or, really, signing a legal document) before an officiant and some witnesses??

That bride just really annoyed me to no end throughout the whole show...

honey22

Ideal_Rock
They probably up the price to make out like they are an exclusive venue who can get away with charging higher prices. That''s really bad, misleading people like that. I would say it would do more harm for the vendors. A show like that is great advertising for them, and I am sure many people watching wouldn''t even consider the venue as it would be higher than their budget. They are probably doing themselves out of a lot of business.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
All the same, it helps perpetuate the "normalcy" that weddings cost a fortune. So in the long run, it''s GREAT for vendors, ''cause they can just keep hiking up the prices.
32.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 4:05:36 PM
Author: newbie124

I watch that show sometimes for the entertainment value, but part of me is just sickened by the over-the-top extravagance. It becomes more about the event than the couple. And truthfully, I find some of the decor and bride's attire downright tacky. No amount of money will ever make up for bad taste.

I'm right there w/ you marchswallowbird. Not sure if you saw one of the more recent episodes featuring the wedding of a girl who was a wedding planner herself, but I just gagged when she was talking about how they spared no expenses for their flowers b/c 'flowers are what make an event a wedding.'

Ummmm....I thought what makes a wedding a wedding is two people exchanging vows (or, really, signing a legal document) before an officiant and some witnesses??

I saw that one. She had the same boring monotonous voice the planners always have on that show. Is that a requirement to be a wedding planner?!
9.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock

I''m right there w/ you marchswallowbird. Not sure if you saw one of the more recent episodes featuring the wedding of a girl who was a wedding planner herself, but I just gagged when she was talking about how they spared no expenses for their flowers b/c ''flowers are what make an event a wedding.''

I''m with both of you on this. It''s not my place to judge obviously, and some people could judge me for what I''m spending even though it''s a fraction of a platinum wedding; however, it does make me very disgusted sometimes. I mean multi-million dollar weddings? Wow..that would feed so many people. But hey people could say the same thing about me technically even though I''m not spending anywhere near that, so like I said who am I to judge?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock

I''m right there w/ you marchswallowbird. Not sure if you saw one of the more recent episodes featuring the wedding of a girl who was a wedding planner herself, but I just gagged when she was talking about how they spared no expenses for their flowers b/c ''flowers are what make an event a wedding.''

LOL newbie - I couldn''t agree more. I mean, I get wanting to have a nice, welcoming experience for your guests and all that, but really, the wedding is about two people who love each other very much making a lifetime commitment to each other in front of those they love.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, find some of the featured brides and weddings to be tacky. Even if I had an unlimited budget I wouldn't go as far as the couples on the show. Plus, all the weddings are starting to look the same to me.

I did the math for the show I watched and the price they gave came out to around $423 per person! Our budget is far from Platinum and we are not paying nearly that much per person. We are having a Saturday evening wedding so its not like we're getting a deal for a Friday or a luncheon wedding. Its so strange!

I'm also highly skeptical of the jewelry prices. It seems like the producers are pulling prices out of thin air.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah, some of those prices are completely unbelievable.

I personally like to sit back and watch the Bridezilla shows with a bowl of popcorn. Some of those brides (like the one who''s hubby was named Jerry...remember her yelling into the cellphone at him because he was out with the boyz for his bachelor night?) are just off the freaking walls.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:11:34 AM
Author: Winks_Elf
Yeah, some of those prices are completely unbelievable.

I personally like to sit back and watch the Bridezilla shows with a bowl of popcorn. Some of those brides (like the one who''s hubby was named Jerry...remember her yelling into the cellphone at him because he was out with the boyz for his bachelor night?) are just off the freaking walls.
Great...now I want popcorn!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results