shape
carat
color
clarity

...another newbie needs help from the PS pros

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spacecadet

Rough_Rock
hey all- am new here like all the kamikaze guys in here...trying to learn everything (emphasis on TRYING) in just a few weeks. this site is fabulous! I''m learning the soup of acronyms...EGL, AGS, GIA, HCA...and ultimately, to the dealer, the IOU! =)

my budget is $13k and would like to get at least 1.5 with a great cut. sigh...(my internal debate: is getting a 1 carat but with a cleaner color and no inclusion better? she''s not picky btw).

below are a few that i''ve narrowed it down to...today. )as it may change with tomorrow...lol) with my options leaning on GOG vs WF because i can physically visit GOG...am in the NY area
(however, does this mean that WF won''t charge me tax? =P)
also, who to speak with at GOG?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_546ct_i_vs1_h%26a.htm
1.546ct I VS1 H&A
$12,002

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2167486.htm
1.508 carat I VS1 H&A
$12,375.00

can anyone else suggest options?? please critique my choices... and/or suggest others from other sites.

my specs:
$13k, i''ll take upto an ''I'', or even SI, but i want the cut to be great...as i learned here. either a H&A or IDEAL...

thanks everyone!!! spacecadet
1.gif
3.gif
3.gif
18.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to gog and see them in person before buying anything you wont regret it.
See if you can set up an appointment to meet with Jon in person.
Tim will take good care of you if Jon isnt avaiable.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the fact that you can go to GOG and see it in person. Looks like a fabulous stone. Storm is right, Make an appointment. Tim or Jonathon will take great care of you. I bought my asscher from them and am thrilled with it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
1.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
In your shoes I''d go along to whichever vendor I could visit in person, in your case GOG. They have a great reputation and you''re lucky you''re within visiting distance. Jonathan knows his stuff and there''s nothing like seeing diamonds with your own eyes. It''s also a good time to compare stones, which helps you set parameters which you''re comfortable with - you may surprise yourself and find yourself okay with lower color and/or clarity, but only your eyes can tell.

That stone from WF is SWEEEET. It''s very clean, the IS is crisp and hardly any light leakage. It''s a great choice of stone and you''re right, you wouldn''t be charged tax as they''re in Houston. It would certainly be top of my short list if I couldn''t visit a vendor, but in your situation, I''d want to visit GOG and see stones in person. There''s nothing like looking at a choice of diamonds and taking your pick. You also have a healthy budget to play with.

Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree too, you are so lucky to be able to visit Jon and see the diamonds in person
30.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Space,

I think your plan is good. Though personally, I would set my criteria just a bit differently...having H as a marker on the low end, and considering VS2 as a marker on the high end for clarity, you might prefer it the way you have it. Following my preferences, you could consider ordering this one from WF, and walking into GOG with it, challenging Jonathan to match or do better. I see from the search by cut database that GOG has at least one option not in stock that''s over 1.5, is G SI 1, and $12,3. Also, I''m guessing when you get there, he may have more.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'd buy the stone ira posted
18.gif
save the tax and never look back!

spacecadet

Rough_Rock
hey all, thanks for the responses so far! good idea to visit in person, and talk to jon, as i will! the stone that ira pointed out from WF... it''s nice but looking at the AGS report, will that inclusion be noticeable? seems pretty large, compared to what i originally posted.

thanks everyone! spacecadet

spacecadet

Rough_Rock
YIPEE! just set up an apointment to meet with jonathan! thanks for the heads up everyone!!

1.gif
spacecadet

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Space,

From what I read here, you can't tell very well how eye visible an inclusion is or not from a grading report, although darkfield photos, such as provided by GOG, may assist. Two suggestions:

- ask them at WF how eye clean they think the SI is, reviewing this first, and trying to nail them conservatively; no one wants wasted mailing charges
- VS1 may be a classy safe point, but I think that for most mortals VS2 is a sweet spot, rather than an over the top reference (and with SI1 an "ask me first" option, where value is available, if the inclusions are favorable). You might also, then, instead, walk into GOG with this one from Blue Nile, representing a tougher nut to beat, clocking in at under $12K, and with VS2 and an AG0 with 0 for light performance attached.

Good wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results