shape
carat
color
clarity

Another "need help choosing ring" thread

infinite

Rough_Rock
I've spent hours here reading up on different threads and getting amazing knowledge - just want to thank the community for sharing all this info.

It's my turn to shop for my gal and I'm kind of stuck. She's skinny with skinny fingers and doesn't want anything over the top. I'm thinking a classic setting (maybe like the Tiffany's one?) in platinum but I'm not sure which one is the closest to that at JA or WF.

For the diamond, I'm having a hard time choosing between 0.9ct or 1ct. There's quite a big difference in price just jumping that 0.1ct - is it really worth it to upgrade to a 1 or a 1.05? Is it noticable? For specs, I'm set on D-F colour (hoping for F for price sake), been convinced to go VS1 or VS2 (originally wanted a VVS rock but want to cut costs a bit if it's not noticable at all), ideal cut only.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1351080.asp

That's one that I was looking at - any comments? Suggestions for me? Help please!! Thanks!

infinite

Rough_Rock
forgot to mention, looking for a round diamond - very classic look and feel. want something classy and elegant.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers look promising. Ask JA for an idealscope image.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
infinite|1294428256|2816904 said:
I've spent hours here reading up on different threads and getting amazing knowledge - just want to thank the community for sharing all this info.

It's my turn to shop for my gal and I'm kind of stuck. She's skinny with skinny fingers and doesn't want anything over the top. I'm thinking a classic setting (maybe like the Tiffany's one?) in platinum but I'm not sure which one is the closest to that at JA or WF.

For the diamond, I'm having a hard time choosing between 0.9ct or 1ct. There's quite a big difference in price just jumping that 0.1ct - is it really worth it to upgrade to a 1 or a 1.05? Is it noticable? For specs, I'm set on D-F colour (hoping for F for price sake), been convinced to go VS1 or VS2 (originally wanted a VVS rock but want to cut costs a bit if it's not noticable at all), ideal cut only.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1351080.asp

That's one that I was looking at - any comments? Suggestions for me? Help please!! Thanks!

Hi Infinite and welcome!

You are definitely on the right track, the diamond you posted could be an option but the next step would be to request an Idealscope image for the stone. That will tell us much more about how the diamond handles light and sparkle, whether there is any light leakage etc, so your GF can have a beautiful ring on her finger!

Yes there is a considerable price jump once you hit the 1 carat mark, visually, it isn't always noticeable if you go slightly under, however some ladies like to know they have that full carat so this is something to think about perhaps.

VS clarity is definitely a good option versus VVS as this will help the budget without visual sacrifice as long as the cut is excellent.

The diamond you are considering also has medium blue fluorescence, in some cases one might notice a slight bluish tint in some lighting conditions, medium isn't generally very obvious but it doesn't hurt to check with one of JA's gemologists to be on the safe side. I personally love fluorescence but it isn't to everyone's taste.

We can certainly suggest some other diamonds you might like if you wish, could you give us an idea of your budget for the stone and setting please?

The classic Tiffany setting is a brilliant option and I think it is hard to go wrong with that style either in gold or platinum.

scepture

Rough_Rock
I'm no expert, but I know that most people (almost all people) will not notice difference between a .9 and a 1 ct. I would suggest (in my humble opinion) that you look for just under the 1 ct mark because there will be a price drop off for staying under 1ct.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post! Lorelei beat me to the punch with the info but it's important nonetheless!

infinite

Rough_Rock
thank you so much scepture, Lorelei and Stone-cold11for your quick and informative responses.

i have just contacted JA and have them put it on hold and get me the image as you have told me. what should I be looking for in the image? obviously I will post it here so you all can help me out.

Lorelei, thank you especially for affirming my thoughts on the VS choice and the Tiffany's classic setting and for making me aware of checking out for flouresence issues. I will be sure to ask that.

I would definitely welcome other suggestions - my price range is pretty flexible. I am looking for something no smaller than 0.85-0.9 and probably no bigger than 1.2. I want it to be colourless (D-F) with VS1 or VS2 clarity and ideal cut (best possible) is a must. Probably something right around the 1ct mark give or take with a F colour and VS2 clarity and ideal cut. I would love to spend under $10k but would be willing to push right up against it to get a larger rock if the value really was exceptional. Thank you all!

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
With a budget around $10k I personally think you should at least be hitting that 1 carat mark as that's a pretty good chunk of change! Are you set on D-F color? What about G or H? Have you looked at stones in person in any of these colors? I think VS1/VS2 is a good place to be as far as clarity (though I would steer towards a good VS2 for value/money purposes), and I understand wanting ideal cut. Do you know what your GF would want in terms of size vs color? For me, I am one of those gals who would like to know the stone hit the 1 carat mark, as opposed to being just under, and I actually would notice a difference - I recently compared a .9 and a 1 carat in person, and myself and another bystander could see the difference immediately. Does the $10k include the setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. 1 carat isn't over the top and if you are spending that much money, I would definitely say get a carat. The first stone slg linked you to has all the factors you wanted plus a good price. WF has a nicer Tiffany style setting IMO too. One stop shopping.

kal2021

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1294443368|2817146 said:
Yeah. 1 carat isn't over the top and if you are spending that much money, I would definitely say get a carat. The first stone slg linked you to has all the factors you wanted plus a good price. WF has a nicer Tiffany style setting IMO too. One stop shopping.

I agree with Gypsy on WF having a nicer Tiff setting, and they have a more flexible lifetime upgrade policy than JA in case that is something that appeals to you - you never know what may happen down the road! I have also been more impressed with their customer service.

Ooh, I really like the setting Gypsy just posted! It comes without the pave diamonds on the band, too, which is also a great option!

infinite

Rough_Rock
@kal2021 gf doesn't really mind or is set in anything tbh - she's really flexible and easy going - but i still want to get her something high quality with good value. i was only set on d-f because it would represent the very highest in colour as opposed to g-h. i have been to brick and motar stores and can see a bit of difference when comparing diamonds of different colour (f vs h let's say).
the $10k is flexible - if i can keep it to 6 or 7k (like the original one I found) while meeting my requirements, I wouldn't spend more for the sake of spending more to hit the 10k. however, if there was a phenomenal rock at let's say 1.2 or 1.3k that was a great value buy that pushed $10k or even more, i would definitely take a look and think about that. if there was a gorgeous rock that was a great buy at $4k that pushed 0.93 or so let's say with all my attributes, i would also take a long look at that too.

@gypsy - that is a gorgeous setting. is it possible to buy a rock at JA or another shop and a band at WF and get it put together? i guess not as good from a "one-stop shop" pov.

infinite

Rough_Rock
hi all, i just got this email back from JA:

"Thank you for your patience while waiting for the idealscope image of diamond 1351080. I have attached that image to this email. I also asked one of our graduate gemologists to examine this diamond and provide me with their expert evaluation.

I am happy to tell you that our gemologist confirmed this diamond is perfectly eye clean and faces white. This diamond also has very nice light performance which is evident in the widespread reddish pink coloration in the attached idealscope image.

Are you considering purchasing this diamond loose, or having it mounted into one of our beautiful settings? If you are considering a setting, do you have a particular time frame in mind? We have hundreds of designs to choose from on our web site (http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/), and they are all made to the specific diamond that you select in order to ensure a perfect fit.

I would also like to ask if anyone has taken the time to discuss the metals used in the creation of fine jewelry with you? One thing to note when you are considering white gold vs. platinum is the level of purity that exists with platinum settings. 18k white gold is 78% gold while platinum is 90-95% platinum. This increased purity gives platinum the advantage of being hypoallergenic, more durable, and it is a pure white metal all the way through so it does not require the maintenance of white gold.

Please take a moment to review this information and let me know if you have any additional questions. I have extended your hold on this diamond for an additional 24 hours while you consider your options. After that time we will release it back to our inventory. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional questions. I hope to hear from you soon."

thoughts? i'll post the idealscope image in a second - i have NO idea what it means

infinite

Rough_Rock

can someone help me with what i'm looking for/at here?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can someone help me with what i'm looking for/at here?
Hi Infinite,

Can you post the image to Pricescope directly please? Linking to image hosting sites is against policy, thanks!

That all sounds fine and the IS image is excellent. If I were majorly picking nits, there is a tidge of leakage at around 4 o'clock but I would bet the naked eye is never going to pick that up, so thumbs up from me!

infinite

Rough_Rock
thank you for your thoughts!

so white represents light leakage and what does black mean? I looked up what idealscopes are but am not fully understanding them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results