shape
carat
color
clarity

Anniversary Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi !

It''s our 5th anniversary in a few months. DH wants to buy me a ring, but in a condition like now, I hate to see him spend too much on me. Our currency is also disadvantage with the USD climbing higher and higher. I''d like to stick to a tiny budget of USD650 including the setting.

Initially I wanted a 50pts solitaire (either round or princess cut). But WF''s stones are over 600 (already wired price and 5% additional discount for Pricescope visitor shipped) for these.

After months of lurking, I saw some e-bay vendors that gets a better review than some others. I checked them out, and I was wondering whether these would be safe enough to buy:
1. .39, SI1, M, White Round Loose Diamond, Ideal Cut
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120197932484&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002
Is it really Ideal ? It''s a bit too low a colour from what I''d usually buy. And it IS cheaper.
It''s also a bit smaller than I''d like it to be (trying to stay close to 50pts). But everyone says that cut is everything.
2. .48, I1+, H+, White Round Loose Diamond
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360098106830&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=023
It says I1. But as the vendor says, it''s a feather accross the table. Does it look like a feather that can grow ?
3. .43, SI2, G, White Round Loose Diamond
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120305859300&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002
This is a nice colour. But it has a spread of 57.3%. I read somewhere about the fish-eye effect if the stone is too spready.

What do you think ? Any other suggestions ?

For the experts who read and gave suggestions (thank you !!) about my other post for a pair of WF stud s for my mother, I''m still working with Katie. I have decided to get a pair of KSi1, seeing arjunajane''s amazing ring. I hope my mom''s would be a higher KSi1 too.

Thanks, everyone....
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi equator, I opened up your thread and was so honoured when I saw how you mentioned my ring, thankyou for being so kind !

As to the diamonds, I will say that I think you have selected from the best vendor you could for this kinda thing on ebay. I have not bought from him, but he is apparently honest and decent - and the return policy is good.
Out of the ones you posted, I'd say the first has the most potential - we can't actually say whether its a true ideal cut without the crown and pavillion angles though- are you able to ask him for these? Although the pic does look promising.
Not sure if its possible, but also worth asking if he can take some idealscope pics? you never know..

The last one also looks pretty, but like you said don't know much about seller - fwiw, I checked on toolhaus and they don't have any negative or neutrals..
but never heard of an LGL cert..

The only other thing is to just make sure you will be happy with the lower colour and/or clarity - I guess its not a huge risk as you can always return if not.

good luck and happy anniversary !

ETA: just noticed the 10% restocking fee on the second seller..that would be another mark against in my book, unless you could get light return images etc before sale..

Equator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding, arjunajane. I am the one honoured that you even did a search for me about the other seller.

I am very much tempted now (the 57pts).... I don''t know about the cert either. But compared to the first stone (39pts MSi), even if it''s a lower colour than J, do you think it would exceed (as in lower) than the other seller''s M ?? Plus, the strong fluorescence is a bit of a worry. It doesn''t help that there is only 2 and a half hours left.
7.gif
Not enough time to get answers.... It also doesn''t help that the background was black with nothing to compare it with.

I actually talked to the second seller in June (dug my e-mails), and there was one from him/her, and he/she sounds pretty decent. Maybe I should just let this one go, eh ? Fools rush in and all that. Awww....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 9:59:19 AM
Author: Equator
Thanks for responding, arjunajane. I am the one honoured that you even did a search for me about the other seller.

I am very much tempted now (the 57pts).... I don't know about the cert either. But compared to the first stone (39pts MSi), even if it's a lower colour than J, do you think it would exceed (as in lower) than the other seller's M ?? Plus, the strong fluorescence is a bit of a worry. It doesn't help that there is only 2 and a half hours left.
7.gif
Not enough time to get answers.... It also doesn't help that the background was black with nothing to compare it with.

I actually talked to the second seller in June (dug my e-mails), and there was one from him/her, and he/she sounds pretty decent. Maybe I should just let this one go, eh ? Fools rush in and all that. Awww....

Yes it could easily be as low or lower than the other one...we just don't have enough information. And unfortunately 100% positive feedback doesn't necessarily mean a lot these days. There are hundreds if not thousands of ebay sellers with 100% feedback selling fake everything.

That being said, I also have bought from the first vendor (but a very inexpensive purchase) and have found his grading to be pretty accurate and he is very kind.

If you are willing to take a risk there are deals to be had, but make sure you protect yourself and pay with a CREDIT CARD through paypal so you can do a CC chargeback if you need to.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Please please let me know if there is any deal out there.... I always use PayPal for everything. It''s not the cheapest (high conversion rates), but the most convenient and safe too. Other vendors I might consider ? I don''t mind a second hand one, but even with all the rage about OEC, I don''t think I''d want one.

It hurts to let go of the 57pts, with all the what ifs that circles my head right now. But I''m too scared to risk it. What if it turns out to be a moissanite and all that horror stories ??? I''ll be charged 10% + shipping for that. Not worth the risk, I think.

Maybe I''ll try to buy one of the cheaper diamonds by the first vendor and see how that go ??? I don''t see why, though, after reading what you experts say. I mean, if an expert like you can see that his items are what they are, then I trust you 110%.

If you could recommend any stone that the first vendor has, which one(s) would it be ?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you seen an M color stone in person? (I never have and wouldn't purchase one without first getting a look at the color.)

Equator

Rough_Rock
No, MC, I''ve never seen an M. Or maybe I have without knowing it (certified diamonds are not that popular here). The yellowest (without it being fancy) I''ve seen was awhile ago. I certainly wouldn''t put it in white gold, but in yellow gold it was hmm.... warm (???).

I went to excel diamonds, but their price were higher than I''d like them to be (or maybe I just didn''t know which one to look). Any specifif item number ?

How about these?
1. 1/2 ctw H-VS-1 WHITE LOOSE SOLITAIRE REAL DIAMOND
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-ctw-H-VS-1-WHITE-LOOSE-SOLITAIRE-REAL-DIAMOND_W0QQitemZ380075678836QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380075678836&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
I like the fact that he/she photographs all his stones. Anyone bought from him/her before ?
2. .34 CT H-VS1 / 100% NATURAL $1,400.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/Round-EGL-USA-Certified-Loose-Engagement-Diamond-Ring_W0QQitemZ280278140917QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280278140917&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I am at peace at letting the 57pts go, though... It sold for a little over 500USD. Too good to be true and all that rings a bell. So... I''m glad I didn''t surrender to my lust.

Arjunajane, I also love your chanel set eternity ring.... but I think I''d better stick to my solitaire first. Maybe 6th/7th anniversary ?! hahaha....

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash accepts Paypal and they are a wonderful vendor...

I think all of us are hesitant to recommend most ebay diamonds except from the vendors we have personal experience with...too many scams.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 1:07:25 PM
Author: Equator
No, MC, I''ve never seen an M. Or maybe I have without knowing it (certified diamonds are not that popular here). The yellowest (without it being fancy) I''ve seen was awhile ago. I certainly wouldn''t put it in white gold, but in yellow gold it was hmm.... warm (???).
I''ve never seen an M, either and wouldn''t consider one unless I had seen a TRUE M under natural lighting. And, an uncertified M selling on eBay probably is much lower color, so who knows what you''d end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results