shape
carat
color
clarity

Animal Lovers...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
OK-so here is a question for all of you animal lovers...

Long story: For the past few months we drive by a farm house that has a dog with a sore on her front leg. Can''t get close enough to take a good look, but her fur on her legs is white so it is noticable from the road.

We haven''t seen her very often, but when we do the sore has been looking larger and larger.

So last night, she was up on the road, so we stopped.

I got out of the car with some canned cat food I just bought and made my way slowly over to her to check out her leg.

She didn''t run, but cowered down and then slowly snuck over to the food. I couldn''t touch her, but did get a really good look at her leg---it looks awful!!! Swollen, open wound about 5 inches long and covering the entire front of her leg and oozing! She was holding it up too!

My hubby and I spoke and decided to go up to the farm house and see if anyone was home, a woman finally came to the door.

I asked if she had a black and white dog...YES
Do you know she is down in the middle of the road...NO, can you go get her.
Do you know that she has a really large sore on her front leg...YES, I did bandage it and she just chewed it off-could tell she was lying.

We told her she should get the dog out of the road and tend to her.

By the looks of the farm house, the lady probably can''t afford any vet care! So sad!!!

Called the Animal Control officer for our county and he said it is out of his jurisdiction and that he will forward the info onto the Sheriff''s Dept. and they may take a few days to get out to speak with her. Was also told to call the Humane Society and they MIGHT be able to send someone out sooner and speak to her and offer the dog some Vet care.

So, do I:
1)wait it out
2)go speak to the lady again and offer to take the dog into our vet(which brings up a whole slue of other issues)
The dog will need daily meds-guessing she is not capable of giving them.
What if the dog needs surgery to remove the leg-then what do you do??? Expensive, recoup time, meds, 3-legged dog can''t be returned to a farm to run loose!
How could I return a dog back into a situation like that?
3)If I do wait and the humane society takes the dog, they may not have the resources to get the dog fixed up and just put her to sleep-how can I live with that!!!

Help...I am soooooo confused!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would call your vet and ask if they offer good samaritan prices. Some will charge you a very reduced rate if you are trying to help a needy animal that isn''t yours. It might still be way more than you''re able to pay, but if it''s reasonably you can take her to get the care she needs.

I would also call the police and bug them about it. They might still tell you that it will take a few days, but at least you''ll know you tried.

And I''m not really sure about the Humane Society route. I assume it''s a kill shelter? Do you have any no-kill shelters in your area? Maybe try searching online to see if you can find a local rescue that would be willing to take in a dog like that.

Sorry I''m not more helpful! This is a horrible situation and it''s so great that you''re taking such an interest in this dog and trying to help her out. I hope she''s able to get the care she needs and even find a new family to take her in.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough situation. Thank you for looking out for the dog. Did the woman seem nice? Would she be receptive to having you take the dog to your vet? If yes, then I would go that route, but try to frame it in such a way that she can't possibly say no, i.e. you know the vet, you already talked to your vet about it, they will take care of him as a favor, reduced rate, whatever!

Another option, and I'm sure others will think I am crossing a line here, is just take the dog and bring him to the vet. It sounds like you are willing to take on the cost of his care. She obviously doesn't care where the dog is, since she let's him wander into the road and has no idea where he is! If the dog doesn't come back, I am sure she will just think he went off to die, which is what will ultimately happen to this dog anyway, if you or someone else doesn't intervene, right?

Or, try contacting the humane society and see how fast they can get out there. Perhaps, again if you have the resources, you can make a donation to the humane society on the condition that it is designated for his medical care.

Good luck! And, thank you for looking out for him!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:29:25 AM
Author: elrohwen
I would call your vet and ask if they offer good samaritan prices. Some will charge you a very reduced rate if you are trying to help a needy animal that isn't yours. It might still be way more than you're able to pay, but if it's reasonably you can take her to get the care she needs.

I would also call the police and bug them about it. They might still tell you that it will take a few days, but at least you'll know you tried.

And I'm not really sure about the Humane Society route. I assume it's a kill shelter? Do you have any no-kill shelters in your area? Maybe try searching online to see if you can find a local rescue that would be willing to take in a dog like that.

Sorry I'm not more helpful! This is a horrible situation and it's so great that you're taking such an interest in this dog and trying to help her out. I hope she's able to get the care she needs and even find a new family to take her in.
Thanks!

My hubby and I don't think that we would even be able to get the dog into our vehicle-she's really timid(which is another thing that really scares me! Are they hurting her?) I think we might be able to work something out with our Vet-we are very good customers, but haven't asked them that specifically! My other issue is the recoup/recovery time-who takes care of her??? We have a dog and 4 cats already!

I think I will be a burr under the animal controls saddle!!! Calling often until I hear they have gotten somewhere with it all!

Sadly, the only shelters in the area are-kill shelters!

She seems like such a sweet girl, I just can't stand by and watch something like this happen-it kills me!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:32:42 AM
Author: Loves Vintage
This is a tough situation. Thank you for looking out for the dog. Did the woman seem nice? Would she be receptive to having you take the dog to your vet? If yes, then I would go that route, but try to frame it in such a way that she can''t possibly say no, i.e. you know the vet, you already talked to your vet about it, they will take care of him as a favor, reduced rate, whatever!

Another option, and I''m sure others will think I am crossing a line here, is just take the dog and bring him to the vet. It sounds like you are willing to take on the cost of his care. She obviously doesn''t care where the dog is, since she let''s him wander into the road and has no idea where he is! If the dog doesn''t come back, I am sure she will just think he went off to die, which is what will ultimately happen to this dog anyway, if you or someone else doesn''t intervene, right?

Or, try contacting the humane society and see how fast they can get out there. Perhaps, again if you have the resources, you can make a donation to the humane society on the condition that it is designated for his medical care.

Good luck! And, thank you for looking out for him!
Thanks!

The woman was really reluctant to even come to the door, but I guess I don''t blame her!

Interesting suggestion!

I won''t be able to get a hold of anyone at the Humane Society for at least a few hours(they aren''t open yet and have no emergency phone#)---so I will have to wait it out a little longer I guess!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
The other thing that I thought of, is if(which there area a lot of if's in this situation yet)if the lady does agree to have us bring the dog to the vet and give her up and we spend alot of $$$ on her-I know my hubby and I will probably have a tough time trying to find another home for her and we just can't have another animal!

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto lovesvintage on taking the dog yourself. BUT, if that doesnt work could your vet maybe come to the dog? (since you''re good people and they like you?
1.gif
) I hope something can be done for that poor dog, it sounds like the owner is awful..It burns me up when people dont take care of their animals
29.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 10:50:11 AM
Author: sctsbride09
Ditto lovesvintage on taking the dog yourself. BUT, if that doesnt work could your vet maybe come to the dog? (since you''re good people and they like you?
1.gif
) I hope something can be done for that poor dog, it sounds like the owner is awful..It burns me up when people dont take care of their animals
29.gif
It burns me too!!!

The trouble is, is that we sometimes don''t see the dog very often(maybe 1 time/week or less)!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d bring a collar and a leash. Once she starts eating canned food, getting collar and leash on should be much easier. Do be careful though. You don''t want to get hurt yourself. If you sense any aggression on her part, don''t proceed, but it doesn''t sound like she is agressive from what you posted.

I picked up a small dog a few weeks ago. She was roaming. I approached her, she growled and snarled at me. I went home, grabbed canned cat food, got her eating. She let me put a leash and collar on, no problem.

Fortunately, animal control came and picked her up in less than an hour. I assume she is back home now. If not, she was highly adoptable.

Anyway, is there an animal rescue group around that could help you re-home her. I am sure if you pay for her vet care, they would be willing to post her as an adoptable on their website, etc.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you speak to your vet maybe they might know of someone who might foster or give her a home? Its worth a try and bless you for trying to help this poor dog!!!
emrose.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2009 11:02:27 AM
Author: Lorelei
If you speak to your vet maybe they might know of someone who might foster or give her a home? Its worth a try and bless you for trying to help this poor dog!!!
emrose.gif

That''s what I was thinking too. Our clinic have a list of people who are willing to foster animals so they might have that at your clinic too. I would either take her to the vet or keep hounding the spca. Poor doggie-it drives me mad when people don''t care for them.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Thats such a good idea you guys (fostering), hopefully its a possibility for you with your vet, Stepcutnut. We''ll be checking in to see how your buddy is..keep us posted.*dust*for a happy healthy pooch.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
A neglected animal is a neglected animal. Whether or not there is love attached with a name like pet or furbaby. If she doesn''t have the financial means to take care of the animal, and is neglecting the animal, it is the dog suffers. Love is not always enough. Food, Water, Shelter, and propper care are all important.

When animal control comes out they will make whatever decision is best for the animal. You did the right thing in calling. If you want to be sure the animal is NOT put down, I''d phone that in w/ the animal control that you''d like to be notified.

I will keep the dog in my warmest of thoughts, please keep us posted.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
If Animal Control takes the dog, you can definitely ask to be notified of whether it is going to be put to sleep. I don''t know how it is in the real world but on Animal Cops Detroit, every time they take an injured animal they have a vet on staff that does all the medical care, and then they put them up for adoption.

Would you be in a position to adopt the dog if they decide to euthanize? When a dog is taken from a household, it is usually not given back.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for doing something. That poor doggie.
39.gif
That makes me sick to think how much pain that she must be in. If I were you I would do my best to give her the same care that I would want someone to give me if I was a hurt doggie. That is the rule of thumb I would go by. I would talk to your Vet to get help to figure out what to do. You are a such a sweetheart to be doing this. Total props. Please keep us updated.

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Document your conversation with the woman and how long you have seen this situation going on. Also take pictures to further document and to help advocate for the dog. A picture is worth a thousand words and it would be harder for somebody to turn down helping in a situation like this if they have a literal picture of what is going on. Often a picture can help people spring to action where mere words will not. Images are powerful things. Don't be afraid to be super assertive on behalf of this dog.

The most important thing is this dear animals safety. I do however think that this woman needs to be checked out by the proper authorities. I realize she may have some severe issues going on so I will struggle not to be judgmental. She might have more hurt animals on her property. No matter how many times I hear about something like this it makes me feel beyond saddened and irate. Again you are awesome for doing this!

Mrs.2Artists

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage- I don''t think that''s crossing a line. And I also think that a suffering animal is better put down if no one will adopt her. People who can''t provide for an animal''s basic needs shouldn''t have them. You''re a good person for helping her.

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Stepcutnut,
This situation is very near and dear to a lot of us, obviously.
I can''t tell you how many times I''ve intervened on stray or hurt animals, even helping the proverbial turtle to cross the road. The way I see it, the animals can''t help themselves like we can help them, and you are a very thoughtful person for even taking the time out to consider any of the options that you have considered regarding this poor doggie...
Please keep us updated on what happens.

~Kat

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Poor dog!!
39.gif
38.gif
Man it makes me SO ANGRY when people neglect their pets to that degree.
29.gif
Right or wrong, I''d probably just go take the dog and get her some medical help. I wouldn''t give her back either. But if you aren''t in a position to take in another animal, I agree you should see if you can take her to the vet and find her a foster home. Poor thing.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
*bump* stepcutnut, any news on the pooch?
1.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Good morning all! Thanks for all the suggestions, please send lots of good vibes to the pooch :)

Well here''s that latest...

It all went like this last week...

Thursday: called our Vet and spoke with them-they said to call the Animal Control Officer.

Called the Animal Control Officer, he said it is out of his Jurisdiction and to call the Humane Society. He did take my info and some about the dog and said he would forward it to a Deputy.

Called the Humane Society, they took the info and said that they would have to give it to a Deputy and have them go out.

Friday: Got a message from a Deputy and return his call. He was not available so I left a message.

Called the Humane Society back and they said to call the Sheriff''s Dept.

Saturday: Saw the dog up by the farm house laying in the grass, so knew she was still there.

Monday: Called the Deputy again and left a message, called the Humane Society-they hadn''t heard anything, but said they''d call the Sheriff''s Dept. and see where they were at.

Got a message to call the Sheriff''s Dept, hubby returned the call. They claimed that they didn''t know what my previous messages were about. So hubby retold them everything. Got a call back that night from a new Deputy, retold everything again and were told that he was newly assigned to the case and they were going out that night. And were told it is really out of his jurisdiction and that it was a Township issue!

Got another call back from the new Deputy, said he went out and didn''t see the dog-but spoke to the lady. She told him the same info she gave us and he told her to take the dog to a Vet and get her help, if she couldn''t afford it then to take it to the Humane Society and they could help her with care. He told her that he would be out in a few days to check on the dog, if it hadn''t received care-the dog and the rest of her animals would be taken.

Only saw the dog Wed. night(5/7) and Sat(5/9). night-other than that, we haven''t seen her!

What an extremely slow, frustrating process!!! It seems that this is no one''s jurisdiction!

My hubby told the Deputy that we wanted to be apprised of the situation as it unfolds!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I are willing to help with the cost of care for the dog, but are not willing to do so if she would be returned to run loose-if that makes any sense!

We would like to go offer the lady help, but what if she says no or if she says yes-then what if the dog needs surgery or long term care and the lady cannot give it! What do you do then???

What a totally confusing situation! All I want is for the dog to get help and have a good life!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Oops double post!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Truly, if possible, I''d just snatch the dog. I don''t think she cares much about it and the dog deserves better. If you can''t keep the dog the alternatives are still preferable.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
Ya know, not to insult ANYONE who may be in law enforcement/gov., but why is it so hard to decide what jurisdiction something is in? I mean good grief its been like 5 days..get it together folks.
38.gif
Sorry about the mini rant..Glad to hear that you and your DH have seen the pooch again (so shes alive at least), its so nice that there are people who actually care. And I completely understand why you wouldnt want to pay for treatment, just to have her returned to the same crappy owner. It doesnt make sense, and hopefully the humane society wouldnt allow it. This really is an awful situation you are in.Have you spoke with your vet to see if there is anything they could do?The fostering thing is a good idea, and you wouldnt have to worry about her being given back. Not sure what else to say, except hang in there and keep bugging the crap out of ''em.
2.gif
Your doing a very good thing, good luck and *dust*.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 10:06:07 AM
Author: lulu
Truly, if possible, I'd just snatch the dog. I don't think she cares much about it and the dog deserves better. If you can't keep the dog the alternatives are still preferable.
It's so tough, we don't see her all that often and when we've tried to approach her before to look at the leg-she would run. We got lucky on Wed. night to have her on the road(I guess) so we could get close enough for a good look at the leg-but she really coward and wouldn't let us touch her(even with canned cat food)! I just don't think it is a good plan!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 10:14:02 AM
Author: sctsbride09
Ya know, not to insult ANYONE who may be in law enforcement/gov., but why is it so hard to decide what jurisdiction something is in? I mean good grief its been like 5 days..get it together folks.
38.gif
Sorry about the mini rant..Glad to hear that you and your DH have seen the pooch again (so shes alive at least), its so nice that there are people who actually care. And I completely understand why you wouldnt want to pay for treatment, just to have her returned to the same crappy owner. It doesnt make sense, and hopefully the humane society wouldnt allow it. This really is an awful situation you are in.Have you spoke with your vet to see if there is anything they could do?The fostering thing is a good idea, and you wouldnt have to worry about her being given back. Not sure what else to say, except hang in there and keep bugging the crap out of 'em.
2.gif
Your doing a very good thing, good luck and *dust*.
It is really frustrating!

To my surprise: I just spoke with our Vet's office to see if they could offer any care to this dog and they said to contact the Humane Society! Since I've spoken with them on numerous occasions already and they put it off on someone else, I am not really sure what to do now!!!

Thanks for the doggy dust---keep it coming :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sorry it''s taking so long for things to get done! How frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results