shape
carat
color
clarity

And now for something completely different.........

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BD219D3D-61BE-4311-B68A-161FF04CE966.jpeg whoa, what a rollercoaster day I’m having. Phew.
Anyhow, here’s a “new” special petite piece.
Many many years ago I received a pair of sweet opal earrings from one of my grandmas. She understood all that time ago my love of jewellery and opals. How I loved them.
In my early 20s, flat sharing as many a young person does, a flatmate “borrowed” without permission some of my treasured jewellery.
I’ve been a “soft touch” for as long as I can remember and I had previously lent said flatmate a belt and a coat on previous occasions, but my jewellery?! Never.
Sadly, she lost one of the earrings during an unauthorized and unknown “borrowing”. To say I was upset is an understatement, as another flatmate remarked afterwards “I honestly thought you were going to kill her”.
So for more than 30 years a sad, single opal earring has languished in the bottom of my jewellery box.
Then I got a thought, I cut the post off (it was a stud type earring) and threaded it through the back a fine gold chain I have.
Now, there is also a story with this gold chain.
My other grandma, a very miserly woman (growing up homeless and poverty stricken during the Great Depression moulds you) who never gave anyone anything ever, gave me this gold chain because I had won a gold medals during the State Athletics carnival. Trust me, the whole extended family was more than gobsmacked by this totally out of character generosity.
So here they are, two gifts from my grandmas, joined together.
And I’m giving it to my daughter for her birthday.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh that’s a beautiful piece and the story behind the parts is even more so @Bron357 :kiss2:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
That's a gorgeous gift! I bet she will absolutely love it :)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awww, what a sweet story! I am sure that your daughter will cherish this piece!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As beautiful as the jewelry is, the story behind it is extra special.

Loretta

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it . And as a pendant you and others will be able to see this beautiful opal more than as a pair of earrings. Plus as a pendant you will wear this close to your heart to remember your grandmother.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats so sweet! Something from both grandmothers. I'm sure your DD will treasure them!:love:

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a beautiful and touching story, absolutely a wonderful gift!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 , you're a real sweetheart!:love:

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
It's amazing how the two pieces came together so beautifully.

My grandmother gave me a few nice pairs of earrings when I was too young to appreciate or care for them. I have a sad box of lonely singles somewhere....:cry2:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect! She is sure to love both pieces. The opal is gorgeous!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's amazing how the two pieces came together so beautifully.

My grandmother gave me a few nice pairs of earrings when I was too young to appreciate or care for them. I have a sad box of lonely singles somewhere....:cry2:

I'm sorry you have a box of singles....but maybe you can honor your grandmother and making a really fun pendant/broach/dbty style necklace/mismatched ring(s)/etc to honor her with? I think that it would be a great way to pay homage to her gifts to you.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a story! And seriously I can understand the anger at your college flatmate. Geez.

It’s a beautiful pendant and I’m sure your daughter will love it :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
BD219D3D-61BE-4311-B68A-161FF04CE966.jpeg whoa, what a rollercoaster day I’m having. Phew.
Anyhow, here’s a “new” special petite piece.
Many many years ago I received a pair of sweet opal earrings from one of my grandmas. She understood all that time ago my love of jewellery and opals. How I loved them.
In my early 20s, flat sharing as many a young person does, a flatmate “borrowed” without permission some of my treasured jewellery.
I’ve been a “soft touch” for as long as I can remember and I had previously lent said flatmate a belt and a coat on previous occasions, but my jewellery?! Never.
Sadly, she lost one of the earrings during an unauthorized and unknown “borrowing”. To say I was upset is an understatement, as another flatmate remarked afterwards “I honestly thought you were going to kill her”.
So for more than 30 years a sad, single opal earring has languished in the bottom of my jewellery box.
Then I got a thought, I cut the post off (it was a stud type earring) and threaded it through the back a fine gold chain I have.
Now, there is also a story with this gold chain.
My other grandma, a very miserly woman (growing up homeless and poverty stricken during the Great Depression moulds you) who never gave anyone anything ever, gave me this gold chain because I had won a gold medals during the State Athletics carnival. Trust me, the whole extended family was more than gobsmacked by this totally out of character generosity.
So here they are, two gifts from my grandmas, joined together.
And I’m giving it to my daughter for her birthday.
Lovely opal and wonderful story. I love hearing stories like this from you, @Bron357 :geek2:
May your daughter cherish it and enjoy it in health and happiness =)2!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results