shape
carat
color
clarity

Analysis Paralysis!

Grkmp

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

Longtime reader, but first time poster. I've been on the hunt for an engagement ring for going on 9 months now, and I've learned a ton in the process, but I've pretty much been paralyzed on pulling the trigger the last few months because I'm afraid I'm overlooking something. From what I gauge, I'm looking for something with the specs below:

Round cut
0.8 carats or above
VS2 or greater
G or better
Excellent cut, polish, and symmetry
Faint to no flouresence

Now when it gets into table, depth, pavillion angle, crown angle, etc. I start to get a bit skeptical in my selection because it seems like there are a number of different proportions that optimize the fire, brilliance, scintillation and so on. Despite that, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the below, but I wanted to post here to try to get some confirmation or insight as to whether I'm overlooking anything.

I'm a bit tied to Blue Nile, because they have a setting I think is ideal, but at the same time, I recognize Blue Nile doesn't provide idealscope, ASET or Hearts and Arrows images Is the information they provide enough to go off of? The diamond has a 0.9 HCA score and seems to sit on the edge of the preferred range on the below cut estimator. Also, should I have any worries about a faint flouresence with an E color grade?

Appreciate any insight! You guys and the rest of the community have already been a huge help in this whole process!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Grkmp, which BN setting do you like? Unless it's something crazy intricate or rare, I would never tie myself to a vendor just because of a setting. Settings can be made, it's the diamond that's most important/expensive... and there are other vendors with better upgrade polices.

Re: 4 C's...
I'd go to eye clean SI1
I'd never rule out fluorescence (only Very Strong or Strong can have issues, but even that is uncommon... you should be fine with Faint to Medium, regardless)

If you add the above to your search criteria, you'll be able to go larger or save money on the 0.8 ct size you've been looking at.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone has good numbers and it also looks good. I dont see any flags unless you want to go bigger (or maybe cheaper) then take @msop04 's
advice.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone has good numbers and it also looks good. I dont see any flags unless you want to go bigger (or maybe cheaper) then take @msop04 's
advice.

Agreed. The stone itself looks good...

mission1

Shiny_Rock
Stone looks good!

....but: 9 months of searching for an engagement ring? Are you sure the other member of the intended engagement is still around?! :bigsmile:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone looks good!

....but: 9 months of searching for an engagement ring? Are you sure the other member of the intended engagement is still around?! :bigsmile:

Some of us are not good at making decisions and need to make sure we've checked out all the options before committing ;-)

[/king of the procrastinators]

:D

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of us are not good at making decisions and need to make sure we've checked out all the options before committing ;-)

[/king of the procrastinators]

:D

Image result for same gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results