Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

An Adult Coloring Book Thread...No Politics!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
Another thread made me really sit up and take notice of adult coloring books, although I had already bought one for my daughter. On my way out of Shoprite this evening, I saw one at the checkout rack that I almost grabbed. I looked for it on line to share here, although you won't be able to get the full flavor of it without opening it and seeing the pages.

My only regret is that my eyesight is not as good as it once was and I wish I could be able to see all the tiny places where I could put different colors if I chose to work on one of these projects. I love color and have always used it in matching clothing. (Dressing a little girl was great fun for me.) If I had a really large set of colors from which to choose and better eyesight, i think I would be in heaven working on one of these projects with tiny places to fill in blanks!

Link...http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/letters-parragon/1123764520/2675165774127?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP1948&k_clickid=3x1948

Deb :wavey:
 

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
3,160
When I first heard about adult coloring books I imagined pornographic pictures. Shows where my head is! :lol:

Once that was cleared up I bought one for DD when she was on bed rest and she liked it. A coworker of mine colors pictures while her husband who has cancer gets radiation, scans and surgeries. She finds them helpful for passing time and lowering her stress.
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
7,008
Costco has some really nice looking coloring books.
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,529
I have several of these - my favorites are the Harry Potter ones. I don't like the ones with too many little fussy details even though the pictures are pretty... I would run out of patience. The Harry Potter ones have a good balance of larger areas for big bits of color and smaller fiddly areas.

I use Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils with Pentel Aquash brushes. The Derwent Inktense pencils are fun because while they are watercolors, once they dry, they don't lift again if you get them wet, so you can go over them with layers in a way different to how you do with regular watercolors. I also like them because it means that doing a picture on the back of a page I already colored doesn't mess up the finished one when I get it wet. I guess if you use regular markers or colored pencils that wouldn't even be a consideration but these are fun for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Derwent-Colored-Watercolor-Inktense-2301843/dp/B001XCWP34/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX31TZO/
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
11,379
I have been given a lot of these because I have fairly significant anxiety. However, I didn't end up liking them as much as I thought. BUT, when I found out that my husband's iPad came with a coloring book "app" I found that I much prefer that. You can choose colors, thickness, etc, but don't have to worry about coloring "in the lines", because you just tap to fill in a certain area. I've enjoyed it a lot thus far :)
 

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
2,835
lovedogs|1479089528|4098001 said:
I have been given a lot of these because I have fairly significant anxiety. However, I didn't end up liking them as much as I thought. BUT, when I found out that my husband's iPad came with a coloring book "app" I found that I much prefer that. You can choose colors, thickness, etc, but don't have to worry about coloring "in the lines", because you just tap to fill in a certain area. I've enjoyed it a lot thus far :)
Omg, that sounds kind of fun! I've never heard of that "app" before!
 

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2005
Messages
20,039
They sell them everyone and are very popular. My patients love them.
 

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
10,608
My Wifey4ever buys them and really enjoys them.
I enjoy looking at them after she colors them but its not something I could or would do.
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
I am getting some great ideas on materials with which to "color" in the books. I love the idea of something that will give a jewel tone. When I buy a book for myself I want to choose book and "inks" carefully! Maybe this will even get me back into knitting. ;))

Deb :wavey:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I have a couple books of these. I enjoy them. But my pens suck. They got good reviews on amazon and so I put them on my Christmas list last year and was thrilled when I got them.

What pens does everyone like?
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
7,008
Gypsy|1479265804|4099135 said:
I have a couple books of these. I enjoy them. But my pens suck. They got good reviews on amazon and so I put them on my Christmas list last year and was thrilled when I got them.

What pens does everyone like?
I use these and love them. I bought them from a craft store though so I probably paid more than I needed to!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14138981?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228008465178&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40940949272&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-78877692992&wl5=9003342&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=14138981&wl13=&veh=sem
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
10,030
Ones that I bought my daughter and ended up coloring myself.

http://www.mindware.orientaltrading...-coloring-book-a2-32002.fltr?prodCatId=554329

http://www.mindware.orientaltrading...-coloring-book-a2-32000.fltr?prodCatId=554329

Ones that I am going to get:

Check out these awesome dot-to-dots.
http://www.mindware.orientaltrading...es-set-of-3-a2-13764595.fltr?prodCatId=553532

These are such fun ideas. I don't have any problem with adults doing them. It's another form of art as far as I'm concerned. I'm a very boring accountant and don't think creatively (which is generally a good thing in my profession). This helps me tap into it in a very basic way, very different from what I usually do and very relaxing.
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
StephanieLynn|1479266207|4099136 said:
Gypsy|1479265804|4099135 said:
I have a couple books of these. I enjoy them. But my pens suck. They got good reviews on amazon and so I put them on my Christmas list last year and was thrilled when I got them.

What pens does everyone like?
I use these and love them. I bought them from a craft store though so I probably paid more than I needed to!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14138981?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228008465178&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40940949272&wl4=aud-261800281660:pla-78877692992&wl5=9003342&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=14138981&wl13=&veh=sem
I appreciate knowing about the Sharpies, StephanieLynn. It seems like an affordable pen, but I wouldn't have thought of it. I was thinking of crayons and colored pencils. (I bought my daughter a set of colored pencils.) I also wanted to be sure that everyone saw what was posted above in this thread about pens by distracts.

distracts|1479088778|4097999 said:
I have several of these - my favorites are the Harry Potter ones. I don't like the ones with too many little fussy details even though the pictures are pretty... I would run out of patience. The Harry Potter ones have a good balance of larger areas for big bits of color and smaller fiddly areas.

I use Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils with Pentel Aquash brushes. The Derwent Inktense pencils are fun because while they are watercolors, once they dry, they don't lift again if you get them wet, so you can go over them with layers in a way different to how you do with regular watercolors. I also like them because it means that doing a picture on the back of a page I already colored doesn't mess up the finished one when I get it wet. I guess if you use regular markers or colored pencils that wouldn't even be a consideration but these are fun for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Derwent-Colored-Watercolor-Inktense-2301843/dp/B001XCWP34/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX31TZO/
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,529
Here are some things I've colored with the Inktense pencils - one complete (border done with gelpens and le pens) and two incomplete (because I get bored of looking at the same picture and keep starting new ones), just to give an idea of what someone with minimal coloring skills can do:

fullsizerender__10_.jpg

fullsizerender__11_.jpg

These pictures seem to be washing out the lightest colors so you can't see very well the variations in the lighter colors, only the darker ones.

eta: actually I guess the Dumbledore pic isn't complete either because apparently I never colored in his belt. Oh well.
 

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
10,608
AGBF|1479271279|4099162 said:
colored pencils. (I bought my daughter a set of colored pencils.)
Wifey4evr uses colored pencils she picked up at goodwill and the dollar store.
If you get sets from different brands you can get different tones for each color.
For example one brands red will be a different red than another unless they
have the same manufacturer making them which does happen.

I have heard of people finding store brands that had exact color matches with brand name sets which means they were
made at the same place at a large discount over the branded set.
You can also run into 2 sets of store brand that are different colors but the same box and name, made by different companies.
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
distracts-

I just love your drawings! Thank you so much for posting them! It makes me want to run out right now to choose a coloring book. (Except that it is cold and dark and I am in my pajamas.) Your pens must be wonderful!

Deb :wavey:
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
Karl-

Thank you for the insight. It never in a million years would have occurred to me that I could buy different sets of colored pencils in order to get different colors/hues. My mind does not work that way. It is a fabulous suggestion! The only problem in our household now is that both my daughter's coloring book and her colored pencils have disappeared! If I buy myself a coloring book, I have to decide (momentous decision here) what type of ink/pencil/crayon I want to use!

Deb :wavey:
 

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
5,563
Deb, you would be amazed at how many ladies among us use adult coloring for relaxation therapy. Some of it has been posted on our private FB pages and I've been amazed! Some of their work has been absolutely incredible. I've been thinking about taking this up myself because my migraines are back BIG time. If we could keep this thread alive, I'll ask some of the ladies who've been doing this for a while to post samples of their work.
 

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 26, 2003
Messages
21,845
gemgirl|1479299933|4099235 said:
Deb, you would be amazed at how many ladies among us use adult coloring for relaxation therapy. Some of it has been posted on our private FB pages and I've been amazed! Some of their work has been absolutely incredible. I've been thinking about taking this up myself because my migraines are back BIG time. If we could keep this thread alive, I'll ask some of the ladies who've been doing this for a while to post samples of their work.
I would very much appreciate seeing more examples of women's art work, gemgirl, and I appreciate your taking the time to post in this thread and alert me and those of us who did not know about what is on the other group! I hope that interest in this thread continues, for purely selfish purposes, because I am getting such great ideas from it as well as getting pleasure from seeing the pictures of someone else now that distracts has put up her art work!

Thank you!

Deb :wavey:
 

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 1, 2014
Messages
3,758
Distracts, beautiful!!!! Love them both, you chose well in everything! Thank you for posting!! :wavey: :appl:
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,952
Love that mon! I brought my coloring to a doctor's appt today, to kill time while waiting. The nurse and I got into a conversation about it, and SHE mentioned that she has one with swears in it and we had a good chuckle... I knew someone had posted one like that to this thread so I had to come back and give it another look!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I found the sharpie set on amazon for like 11 bucks including shipping and decided to give it a try! Thanks!

Great job distracts!
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,983
rainydaze|1479428472|4099944 said:
Love that mon! I brought my coloring to a doctor's appt today, to kill time while waiting. The nurse and I got into a conversation about it, and SHE mentioned that she has one with swears in it and we had a good chuckle... I knew someone had posted one like that to this thread so I had to come back and give it another look!
Hee hee. I see cross-stitch samplers all the time on Pinterest and Instagram with swears in them. I learned cross-stitch as a pre-teen...might have to take it back up again just to stitch a hearty "f*ck you" to put on my kitchen wall. Because why not? :naughty: :lol:
 

Garnetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Dec 7, 2014
Messages
686
Here's a new colouring book for adults called Cockadoodles :bigsmile: :twisted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/colouring-book-1.3866093


Two area men are about to take the adult side of adult colouring books to a whole new level.
Co-creators Connor Thompson and Chris Elphick are putting the finishing touches on their new colouring book called Cockadoodles.
Yes, it is actually a colouring/activity book that's full of penises.
• Adult colouring book trend going strong
All of your favourites from childhood are here — from connect the dots, to mazes and even a crossword puzzle. They're just much more phallic this time around.
Thompson told CBC News that the book took "hundreds of hours" of painstaking research.
'Friends and family didn't really believe us when we told them we were making a colouring book full of wieners.'
- Connor Thompson, co-creator
"I've seen a lot of things," he said. "My Google searches are very questionable."
The project started out as a joke that Thompson made to his girlfriend at the end of last year, when he said, "adult colouring books aren't actually very adult."
Thompson, who is from the Niagara region but now lives in Hamilton, then mentioned it to his buddy Elphick, who still lives in Niagara. The idea blossomed, and the pair, both 28, decided to make a real go of it.
"Friends and family didn't really believe us when we told them we were making a colouring book full of wieners," he said.
But there were some roadblocks along the way. For one, Thompson didn't actually know how to create and draw digital images, so he spent hours at the Hamilton Public Library doing tutorials and brushing up on his art skills.
When all 32 pages were finished, they ran into another problem: no one actually wanted to print the thing.
"We figured if we were paying a printer, they wouldn't care what the book was," Thompson said. "Turns out they do care. They care a lot, actually."


The book includes a crossword puzzle, connect the dots, and more. (Cockadoodles)
It took ten tries, but they did finally find someone who was willing to print the book — and in turn, the duo became like urban legends in the company's warehouse.
They created a Kickstarter campaign to gauge interest in the project, and have thus far raised just over $1,500. They plan on doing an initial run of 1,000 copies, and are making sure to get them out in time for Christmas.

Chris Elphick, left and Connor Thompson created the adult-themed adult colouring book.
"It's a great stocking stuffer," Thompson said with a laugh.
Adult colouring books emerged as an international trend last year. Amazon lists dozens of titles for sale, and some titles in the U.K. have sold tens of thousands of copies, according to The Guardian. The books made up nine of the top 10 "most wished for" books on Amazon last November.
While many of these books are filled with spiraling, intricate patterns, Cockadoodles is much more simple, Thompson says.
"This thing should be coloured in with crayons."
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
7,008
I was flipping through the circular for Ocean State Job Lot today and they have a deal where if you buy four adult coloring books at $3.99 for a total of $15.96 they will give you a gift card for $15.96.

I don't know if this is regional or not and what their selection looks like but thought I would pass it along. Would be a great stocking stuffer idea. They also advertised a 48ct premium color pencils for $5.
 

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
5,586
Great idea--I think I'll get one! I've never had one before, but I've heard they're great for stress relief.
 

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
3,934
I love to color and have several sets of pencils.

This peacock using a mixture of 120 Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils (Germany) and 150 Prismacolor pencils (Mexico with some quality control issues)



This is grayscale coloring using Derwent watercolor pencils (England)



Derwent only has 72 colors, so I bought a 120 set of Faber-Castell Watercolor pencils

20151121_183309.jpg

20161026_165030.jpg

20160812_130810.jpg

20160928_193924.jpg
 

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 12, 2004
Messages
3,934
150 Prismacolor set - must create chart because actual hue, tone, saturation doesn't always match the paint on the pencil



120 Faber-Castell sets



72 Derwent Inktense

20150819_141245.jpg

20151030_074617.jpg

20160729_222511.jpg
 

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
5,529
Gorgeous, cflutist! What is that coloring book that looks like the southwest?
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top