shape
carat
color
clarity

Amusement parks/theme parks

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Do you like them? Hate them?

What are some of the best parks you have been to (if any) and what made it great?

Whats the best ride you have been on?

I just went to Universal Studios in Hollywood a few days ago and I absolutely loved it. I really loved the rides and the awesome behind the scenes stuff we got to see. I like Six Flags, but this was way better!!!!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love theme parks!

I think my favorite has to be Disney World. I love the parades, the characters, and the upbeat happy vibes. I went recently with my mom and actually explored the Swiss Family Tree House for the first time, and found a new Mexican restaurant I liked. My favorite ride there is the Haunted Mansion, though I have finally come to appreciate Splash Mountain as well. I also LOVE Space Mountain.

My second Favorite is Sea World. I love dolphins. I mean, I LOVE dolphins. I used to get season passes to Seaworld and my grandma would take us for entire weekends in the summer. I used to spend half the day just watching the dolphins in the underwater observation, and petting them up top. I love Orcas too, but there is something serene and calming about dolphins.

I enjoy Island of Adventures because of the roller coasters. I love a good roller coaster. Dueling Dragons is my favorite coaster of all time. In high school I once rode it 19 times in a row. One side and then the other. I was there for school, and there were no lines. I actually know the person who designed the dragons too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you asked ... hate them. UGH!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I think theme parks are fun sometimes (for instance, I really want to go to the Harry Potter theme park), but I absolutely detest/am terrified of roller coasters, so there's generally not a whole lot of point to me going.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
As a rule, I'm neutral on them - I don't really like them, but I don't hate them either. I do love Kennywood, because I grew up in Pittsburgh going to that park every summer. I love the old world feel of it too and I'm not as much into the brand new and shiney parks.

I'm really not into Disney though - the whole Disney empire leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I meant to say I want to go to Harry Potter Land. It is actually a built in part of Island of Adventures I believe. I remember when they first started building the rocks that the castle sits on and I was like WTF is THAT?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

The best place for roller coasters. But if that's not your thing, it's a waste of your time.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i love theme parks! not necessarily for the rides, but for the atmosphere. we had annual passes to several parks growing up and throughout college: disneyland, sea world, san diego zoo/wild animal park (not a theme park, i know, but it's sorta close), six flags magic mtn, and universal hollywood.

Disneyland was my favorite. It was 30 mins away, has happy music, yummy turkey legs, we loved watching the marching bands perform and actually performing there w/ my hs orchestra, hanging out with my friends, camping out for the shows... so many great childhood memories! and there really isn't anything like a disneyland fireworks show, complete with a medly of soundtracks, and their winter wonderland. During college, i would hop on the train from san diego and get off in anaheim, meet up with my best friend, go to disneyland for half a day, then go home for the weekend. Love it!

That said, i feel as if disneyland has gone downhill in recent years... maybe the last 5-6 years. It doesn't feel as well maintained, and the patrons seem a lot more rude, which isn't the park's fault of course. So many miserable people there who can't even apologize when they ram their strollers into your ankles. "oh, oops" is not an apology when you take off a chunk of my skin! and it's even worse when the 3 yr old inside the stroller says "sowwy" and the mom just stares at you blankly! The lines have always been long, it hasn't changed in the past 25 years, so what gives?!

So yea, I still love theme parks. But i go during weekdays now. ;-)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm usually a theme park enthusiast. I love to see the expression on my kids' faces when they get off of a thrilling ride. That being said, I love Disneyland, love Sea World, love Knotts, love Wild Rivers (and other water parks). Hate legoland. Legoland has the worst rides ever, and the wait to get on the rides is not worth the 30 seconds you're actually on the ride.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, I haven't been to a theme park in 15 years, now that I think about it.

I am not a huge fan (obviously!) but I do enjoy the atmosphere, roller coasters and the junky food. Specially with a fun group of friends. I have no idea why I haven't gone to one in all this time. I am also feeling old now!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
princesss said:
I think theme parks are fun sometimes (for instance, I really want to go to the Harry Potter theme park), but I absolutely detest/am terrified of roller coasters, so there's generally not a whole lot of point to me going.

We should be theme park buddies princesss, because I feel the exact same way. Except also add "and most other thrill rides" to roller coasters.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.
The best place for roller coasters. But if that's not your thing, it's a waste of your time.
I just saw Cedar Point featured on a Travel Channel show, Bert the Conqueror, where all he does is travel around and go on crazy rides. He did some challenge where he had to ride the 3 or 4 big coasters in the park in one hour, and one of them was just this enormous single 200'+ hill. The coaster freakin' STOPPED at the top of the hill, paused, and then WENT BACKWARDS. Then they had to start all over again. Blergh. It was hilarious to watch, because he was flipping out and trying to actually rock the car to make it go forward, but I can't imagine riding that thing myself.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate most amusement parks because I don't like any of the rides or the games on the midway (maybe the games are mostly found at local fairs, I don't know). I tend to feel sick on even the most simplest of rides, ones like the teacups and merry go rounds. :rolleyes:

I do like Disney World/Dinsey Land, Epcot, and Universal, though, because there's more to see and do. I'm not really a cutesy, fairy tale/cartoon lover, but I do love seeing the characters through kids' eyes.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

I second this! If you're a rolle coaster fan, Cedar Point is AWESOME. If you're not a fan, don't bother. My favorite Cedar Point ride is the Raptor. Love it.

I grew up very close to Disneyland and was lucky enough to go very frequently. Whenever I go back to visit now as an adult, or even go into the Disney store, it takes me immediately back to my childhood. I also think they do a great job of having something for everyone.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Selkie said:
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.
I just saw Cedar Point featured on a Travel Channel show, Bert the Conqueror, where all he does is travel around and go on crazy rides. He did some challenge where he had to ride the 3 or 4 big coasters in the park in one hour, and one of them was just this enormous single 200'+ hill. The coaster freakin' STOPPED at the top of the hill, paused, and then WENT BACKWARDS. Then they had to start all over again. Blergh. It was hilarious to watch, because he was flipping out and trying to actually rock the car to make it go forward, but I can't imagine riding that thing myself.

Was it the Top Thrill Dragster? That happens all the time on that one, sometimes it's hilarious to watch. The giant magnets that power the thing are really finicky!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
geckodani said:
Selkie said:
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

Was it the Top Thrill Dragster? That happens all the time on that one, sometimes it's hilarious to watch. The giant magnets that power the thing are really finicky!

YES! That was it! We thought the operator was probably messing with him because he's afraid of heights, and was worrying about it going backwards before the start of the ride.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Love 'em!!! :appl: :bigsmile:

Cedar Point is about 2 hours away from me, so we try to go every year. My favorite rides are the roller coasters. I absolutely HATE spinny rides (like the tea cups)- they make me puke. Millennium Force and the Maverick are my two favorites, but I do still love the Magnum.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Splish Splash in Riverhead, NY. It's a really nice water park that has tons of great rides, I've been going there since I was a kid and I still love it!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Selkie said:
geckodani said:
Selkie said:
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

YES! That was it! We thought the operator was probably messing with him because he's afraid of heights, and was worrying about it going backwards before the start of the ride.

LOL! No, the operator wasn't messing with him - it happens all the time. The way I look at it, you get a bonus ride - just backwards! I've been on it when that's happened though, and it's craziness. If the magnets don't provide JUUUUUST the right amount of thrust, you'll get almost to the top, hover for a second, and then come back down backwards. The ride is crazy enough, since when you do make it over, you still hover for a second at the top of that ginormous drop before you go down. So scary. And cool. And I refuse to sit in the front on that ride, LOL. It seems to happen the most when it's extremely hot - the magnets overheat or something. They also shut that ride down if it's raining even the slightest bit damp. I'm at the point where I'll only ride that one if I can get on in the morning right as the park opens. Otherwise sometimes you'll stand in line for 2 hours and still not get to ride. Meh.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love theme parks. My favourite is EuroDisney, just outside of Paris. The rides are mainly the same as the one in the US but I prefer it as it's a bit smaller. I loved Island of Adventures and Six Flags when I visited them in the US as well.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I live really close to Busch Gardens Williamsburg so I go there a lot. It's always a good time when I'm there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much hate them...I like Sea World in Orlando and the Disney water parks but the rest of them are too many people
and too many long lines.

I would love to go to Busch Gardens Tampa to see the animals.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
geckodani said:
Selkie said:
geckodani said:
Selkie said:
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

LOL! No, the operator wasn't messing with him - it happens all the time. The way I look at it, you get a bonus ride - just backwards! I've been on it when that's happened though, and it's craziness. If the magnets don't provide JUUUUUST the right amount of thrust, you'll get almost to the top, hover for a second, and then come back down backwards. The ride is crazy enough, since when you do make it over, you still hover for a second at the top of that ginormous drop before you go down. So scary. And cool. And I refuse to sit in the front on that ride, LOL. It seems to happen the most when it's extremely hot - the magnets overheat or something. They also shut that ride down if it's raining even the slightest bit damp. I'm at the point where I'll only ride that one if I can get on in the morning right as the park opens. Otherwise sometimes you'll stand in line for 2 hours and still not get to ride. Meh.

Top Thrill Dragster is actually over 400 feet tall. I've only ridden it once...and I didn't get stuck or go backwards...but I've watched it go backward a bunch of times while in line or wandering around the park.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate them, to the extent that I do not have any desire to visit one. No objections if other people want to go though. :saint:

What I really do not understand is carnivals, which are like amusement parks, right, but which travel to different towns, get set up in supermarket parking lots and the like. I am clearly not going to be a fun mom, because I could not see letting my kid go on any of those rides ever!! Who runs them? How safe are those rides? How old are they? Which ones are rusted enough to fall apart when my LO is belted into one of those things?

Also, with respect to established amusement parks, there are two small ones in my state, and it seems inevitable that at least once a summer, a patron or a young worker gets killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It makes me crazy. But, AT LEAST, there is someone accountable there.

Safe to say I am fairly risk-avoiding on this topic, and also, not very fun.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

I second this as well! I live about 2 hours from Cedar Point and, until our son was born in 2008, we always got season passes and would go every weekend. I haven't been there since summer of 2007; I was postpartum in 2008, had a DVT in 2009 and I'm currently pregnant. I am so bummed and can't wait until next summer! I am going to visit this year with family, but we will be going in the evening so we won't have to pay full price for the tickets. I just really, really want a corndog and fries!

I pretty much only ride the coasters. Gemini is my all time favorite but Millenium is up there too. The only spinny rides I like are the Matterhorn/Super Matterhorn and the Calypso. I am terrified of heights so I won't go on the ferris wheel or the Sky Ride. If it's really hot out we'll go see the Snoopy on Ice, which is in an air conditioned theatre :sun:

charbie

Ideal_Rock
DivaDiamond007 said:
vc10um said:
CEDAR POINT, HANDS DOWN.

I second this as well! I live about 2 hours from Cedar Point and, until our son was born in 2008, we always got season passes and would go every weekend. I haven't been there since summer of 2007; I was postpartum in 2008, had a DVT in 2009 and I'm currently pregnant. I am so bummed and can't wait until next summer! I am going to visit this year with family, but we will be going in the evening so we won't have to pay full price for the tickets. I just really, really want a corndog and fries!

I pretty much only ride the coasters. Gemini is my all time favorite but Millenium is up there too. The only spinny rides I like are the Matterhorn/Super Matterhorn and the Calypso. I am terrified of heights so I won't go on the ferris wheel or the Sky Ride. If it's really hot out we'll go see the Snoopy on Ice, which is in an air conditioned theatre :sun:

Another Cedar Point LOVER here! Grew up an hour from the park, had season passes. I have a neighbor who was just in love with the place, and my mom actually let her sign me out of school an hour or two early a few times (I was a stellar student) so I could go with her.

Funny story about the Raptor...I actually auditoned to be in the commercial! We had to wait in this long line then scream for the casting director.

I love the Magnum...oldy but a goody. So sad to see Demon Drop go. Also love Raptor and Dragster....good times! And in such a beautful place oon the lake! If anyone is ever in Northwestern Ohio, it should be on your list of places to go!

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
really and truly it's all about CEDAR POINT. growing up across the lake (lake erie) in canada, i've had years of lovin' experience behind me. if you love roller coasters, this is your place. if not, no worries, there's everything else to keep you occupied: a water slide park, a massive park of activities, tons of stuff for toddlers & li'l kids to do, beaches, camping nearby, etc, etc....

LOVE IT!

i've lived all over north america and nothing compares. i miss my mid-west cedar point :(( it seriously rules!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results