shape
carat
color
clarity

Amora Gem Chipped :(

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,
My original engagement ring was an Amora Gem Ultra set with two diamonds in platinum. I bought the stone around 3.5 years ago and had it shipped and set here in Australia where I live.
Today, I noticed that the stone has chipped rather significantly. I wear this ring everyday but I haven't bashed my hand or dropped the ring - so when I discovered the chip I was naturally devastated - mainly for sentimental reasons.
Has anyone else with an older generation of AG had this happen?
I've never had a stone chip before so I don't know if this is a setting problem or a stone problem :(
Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
I've included some photos below but please excuse the state of my hands!

IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2612.jpg
IMG_2610.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful for you.
any gem can chip on the girdle if it comes in contact with something at the wrong angle with enough force.
You may well have done it just putting or pulling your hand out of a drawer, clipping the edge and not even realising it.
its not a flaw of the gemstone per se, Moissanite/ Amora gem aren’t particularly brittle. However the setting with only 4 prongs does leave an wide expanse of girdle edge exposed. A 6 prong setting with a prong at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock position would help protect the girdle, a “bump” would be against the prong, not the gem.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Bron357, I must have knocked it and not realised, but must say I am surprised that the chip is so severe. I will be looking to replace the stone or whole ring, so will definitely consider a 6 prong setting moving forward. Might be a nice opportunity to look at an upgrade ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results