shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst Ring - cleaning help, can’t get under the stone!

gcnewman

Rough_Rock
I have a beautiful amethyst and diamond ring I wear daily. The amethyst is an emerald cut set in a bezel setting. There is a lot of dirt stuck around the edges, under the stone. I tried soaking it and scrubbing it - I even tried letting it sit in jewelry cleaner. The stone is super pretty and sparkly, but in certain lighting I can see the outline of debris around my stone. Any suggestions? Should I take it to my jeweler to get cleaned?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Theres honestly nothing that I haven't been able to get clean with a soft bristled tooth brush & some Dawn dish soap in water.

IF you have good eyesight & are careful you can also get a toothpick for teensy areas and try lightly scraping the junk off, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone.

If nothing works, taking it in to be cleaned while you peruse the store would be your best bet!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know much about ultrasonic cleaners but do they help?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have a beautiful amethyst and diamond ring I wear daily. The amethyst is an emerald cut set in a bezel setting. There is a lot of dirt stuck around the edges, under the stone. I tried soaking it and scrubbing it - I even tried letting it sit in jewelry cleaner. The stone is super pretty and sparkly, but in certain lighting I can see the outline of debris around my stone. Any suggestions? Should I take it to my jeweler to get cleaned?

If it's that dirty I would. I usually get mine professionally cleaned 2 to 4x a year when I do my inspections to make sure my 3 stones are still tight. Whatever they do to it usually gets rid of whatever I can't get at myself.

In between professional cleans though I use my personal ultrasonic at least every week since I'm trying not to break the machine with over use. We killed our last one in a few months lol. I also use an extra soft brush to carefully clean under and around the stones since I have to apply lotion like crazy. Even waiting to put on my ring I still get it underneath so the poor thing needs extra cleaning...

Just make sure if you do take it for professional cleaning that you let them know what kind of stone you have so they can treat it appropriately!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results