shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst Help for a Newb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gummybear

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have been lurking on the Colored stone forum for awhile now and besides adding to and ever growing list of wants. I have decided to buy my first colored stone. It is actually for a gift for my mother in law. Amethyst is her birthstone and she had a nice one as a ring but two years ago she got her ring caught on a doorway of a bus while on vacation and the setting mangleled and the amethyst was lost for ever. My husband and I want to surprise her with another one for mother''s day (or around then).

She wears heavier/thick yellow gold, so the amethyst should be substantial to stand up to a thicker band. I really know nothing about them except the darker the better. I saw two on vendors that are mentioned on here a lot and would like opinions on the two if you care to share yours.

TIA

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id%7C1598

http://www.acstones.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=18&idproduct=2580

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the Artistic Colored Stones one, but honestly, you can''t go wrong with either. I think I''m more drawn to the ACS stone because it photographs with more blue tones, and I like blue.
1.gif

They are incredibly similar! Are you getting a new setting for her too or just the loose stone?

Gummybear

Rough_Rock
Thanks Freke. I was drawn to that one too. But colored stones scare me a bit. The other one is a bit bigger too so I was torn.

We are giving her the stone and then having her pick out the setting. I was going to try to recreate the ring she had but I am not even sure where the original is and my father in law is not good at secrets. So we will go from there once we have the stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barry''s
3.12ct
10x8.4
$156

Richard''s
3.66ct
11x9
$145 (on sale)

The size difference really isn''t that much, with .54 adding on only a mm to the length and .6 to the width. The price difference isn''t that much either ($11). Perhaps seeing them side by side will help.

What do you think?

Amethyst comparison.jpg

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I would go with Barry''s stone. I just had him cut me an amethyst that has gorgeous blue flashes. It''s stunning and can''t wait to get it set.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not fair to compare the two together without knowing the lighting condition, quality of camera, etc. That said, I''d go for Barry''s for 2 reasons:
1. Barry''s pictures are known to be accurate
2. Barry''s picture shows nice blue flashes.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
And Barry''s stone seems to have a deeper color with more visual dimension (the color of Richard''s seems more "flat"). Of course, it could just be the photos, but if they''re accurate I''d pick the smaller one as it''s got a really great depth of color; and that''s what I''m looking for when it comes to amethysts.

Gummybear

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much. I ordered Barry''s. I should get it in a couple days. I hope she likes it! I really appreciate your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results