shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I Missing Something?

truenorth

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am on the lookout for a diamond to go into a bezel pendant for my 30th Birthday present. I placed this diamond on hold at BN LD07061379 and the vault has confirmed that there is no brown/grey tint or milky impact from the med fluor. It is a very good price but I am concerned that it will have a brown tint when it arrives (I am having it shipped directly to be mounted, so I wont see if before that).

Do you think I should be concerned given the above or am I just worrying for nothing.

Thanks in advance!

TN

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly doubt you will notice any significant noticeable tint (whether it yellow, brown, or gray) face up, especially on a bezel setting.

If a tint is a concern, shopping at JA is an option as they offer free return to canadian shoppers.

truenorth

Rough_Rock
Thanks flyingpig.

Tint wasn't a huge concern until someone mentioned it to me as a reason why the stone is priced as such.

This may be a stupid question but how brown can a tint go? So brown that it looks champagne?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
truenorth|1468357921|4054879 said:
Thanks flyingpig.

Tint wasn't a huge concern until someone mentioned it to me as a reason why the stone is priced as such.

This may be a stupid question but how brown can a tint go? So brown that it looks champagne?

Can you post the lab report?

truenorth

Rough_Rock
Sure here is the GIA cert

screen_shot_2016-07-12_at_22.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since it's a J it would have a notation (required under the grade H) if it had a brown tint, right there on the lab report. So it is not a brown tinted stone. At that size you will be fine with a J, don't worry. It will be a warm white, but definitely white. Plus the medium blue will counteract a little of the tint. So you are fine!

Okay?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a J. It has a yellow tint. It is white face up, although not icy white..

J is underrated IMO. Many big names, such Tiffany, Costco, Spence Diamond, carry I color stones or higher. Many people are not just familiar with this color. The price gap I and J is often just astronomical. There is a fear among consumers in regards to its tint, and J is often considered a "cheap" color. The fear is reflected in its price.

Nonetheless, J is still 'near colorless' and offers an amazing value if you can live with a tint when viewed from side.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hiya,

You should be ok, I have 4 J's & I agree with Flyingpig they are underrated. While I can say I'm leaning towards I colour now, for studs & pendant, I agree that J's are a good choice. If someone is THAT close to your neck to scope out the colour, I hope it's your fiance.
:lol:

Tell your sales associate at BN that tinting is a concern & that you want their gemologist stateside to inspect it before it gets shipped out. They will do that. Also, your vendor who is setting the stone should be another set of eyes inspecting it on your behalf.
:))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love a well cut J.

One of my closest friend has a (PS quality) modern J cushion at a carat and it is gorgeous. Truly dazzling.

I don't like anything higher than I for round solitaire earrings and pendants, for me personally. And I strongly prefer J, exactly because of the price break mentioned.

For OEC's J/K is my sweet spot, even for ring stones.

The only place I do not recommend J's is for engagement rings for someone else when they have not specifically said J's are fine with them, especially in anything other than a round and even in a round at over a 1.2 carats. I do think I or better is just safer when you are buying for anyone else to be conservative. And as mentioned, there is a public perception that J's are not quality stones, and I wouldn't want anyone to be feel their engagement ring is somehow lesser because of the color choice. Under a carat though, especially on a tight budget an in a round, rounds are not just an excellent value, but HIGHLY underrated.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
flyingpig|1468379462|4054995 said:
I have a J. It has a yellow tint. It is white face up, although not icy white..

J is underrated IMO. Many big names, such Tiffany, Costco, Spence Diamond, carry I color stones or higher. Many people are not just familiar with this color. The price gap I and J is often just astronomical. There is a fear among consumers in regards to its tint, and J is often considered a "cheap" color. The fear is reflected in its price.

Nonetheless, J is still 'near colorless' and offers an amazing value if you can live with a tint when viewed from side.

I'm fairly sure most Js are sold as mislabeled Gs and Hs. EGL's cut grades are at least objectively determined, even if they say "Excellent" when they mean "crummy."

The color (and clarity) grades are a way dealers brand themselves as "better" than other options like Blue Nile. They tell people that Js are "almost brown" and that their store doesn't carry such trash. But of course they do carry them; they just lie about it.

Honestly the grading system is a trap for customers in so many ways. I'm glad people are starting to sue. If the industry can't regulate itself and the FTC doesn't care, then lawsuits are what's left.

truenorth

Rough_Rock
@Gypsy - I didn't realise that this was something they would list on the GIA cert and very helpful to know. My E-ring is H and to me it is bright white!

@ccuheartnurse - I will ask BN to check it before they ship it to me to give me extra piece of mind.

@flyingpig - The fear is why I posted about this and appreciate your vote of confidence.

@ChristineRose - I wouldn't ever buy anything without GIA or AGS certs and I have seen an excellent cut J and although warm against my H separate the two and it's difficult to see the difference.

I think i am going to go with this stone and ask their gemologist to check it before it gets shipped. Hopefully it is as good as they say it is! Will keep you all updated on the progress of my project.

TN

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results