shape
carat
color
clarity

am i impolite if i don''t type your name on top when...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i reply to your post? do you care?

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
yes yes yes
29.gif

*throws all her toys out of her pram*

only kidding!
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s impolite, I just think it can get confusing if everybody''s responding to different posts and nobody types the name of the poster they''re responding to (or quotes them). If it''s a slow thread or it''s obvious who you''re responding to, then no, it''s not rude to not type that person''s name.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
ha, i really don''t care. i guess it helps if you''re honing in on me to make a point...b/c without my name, there''s a good chance I''d miss it especially if it''s one of those threads that catches fire.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 4:44:28 PM
Author: elrohwen
I don''t think it''s impolite, I just think it can get confusing if everybody''s responding to different posts and nobody types the name of the poster they''re responding to (or quotes them). If it''s a slow thread or it''s obvious who you''re responding to, then no, it''s not rude to not type that person''s name.
I agree! Sometimes names are a necessity.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess i never thought about it!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Impolite? No - we're not writing each other letters. Confusing sometimes, maybe..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally try to - just because it is habit in emails too. I am not offended if someone doesn''t directly address me but I agree when a lot of people are posting it can get confusing who is being addressed.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
ditto!

but no, I don''t find it impolite

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh never thought of this. Some times, I am so quick to reply I forget to name the OP... Woops.. But with all the trigger fingers around here trying to answer quickly, that's the way it goes..

If it's a sensitive topic, yes I always start with their name and a comma...

Df,
I am so sorry to hear..

But anything else, I am just quick to respond..

No wonder I have so many posts....
9.gif
And they were good one's right???
31.gif

Don't answer that...
3.gif
35.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I stopped using a name on top when replying to work emails too because that is not the style of the people I work with.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s impolite at all.

This thread reminds me of my grandmother. She learned how to use Instant Messenger when I was in college so we could communicate, and she started *every*single* message with:

"Dear Lori,"

and ended *every*single* message with:

"Love,
Helga"

So, a typical message from her would read:

"Dear Lori,

Hi.

Love,
Helga"

When I would say "You don''t have to use salutations, Helga!" she''d respond with "Just because I''m not writing on my Crane''s doesn''t mean I can be crude."
Oh man, I can''t tell you how much I miss her.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven, that''s great!
9.gif

DF, to answer your question, no, I don''t think it''s impolite.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
No - I could care less. Just quote the piece you are replying to .. just in case there is confusion.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I think if a person is replying to multiple people in a single post, it''s bit confusing if the post doesn''t state who each reply is to (but not necessarily rude).

Other than that, I don''t care. It is nice when an individual includes a quote (and I love when parts are highlighted) because then the portion can be skimmed over.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 9:21:16 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Gosh never thought of this. Some times, I am so quick to reply I forget to name the OP... Woops.. But with all the trigger fingers around here trying to answer quickly, that''s the way it goes..
Ha - yeah, when a response includes the names of all the people he/she is replying to but then forgets the name of the OP and just says "OP." That really bugs me. But, I''m also guilty of doing it myself. Actually it only bugs me when I''m the original poster. lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it depends, I try to take the time to address newbies by their names in RT especially when answering their first post or thread as I think it makes them feel more welcome that I take the time to do so, I am sure there are times when I should address someone directly but fail to.

For me it doesn''t bother me, if someone wants my attention directly then its easier just to use my name in a post as I am more likely to see it that way.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2010 1:47:00 AM
Author: Haven

This thread reminds me of my grandmother. She learned how to use Instant Messenger when I was in college so we could communicate, and she started *every*single* message with:

''Dear Lori,''

''Love,
Helga''

''Dear Lori,

Hi.

Love,
Helga''

When I would say ''You don''t have to use salutations, Helga!'' she''d respond with ''Just because I''m not writing on my Crane''s doesn''t mean I can be crude.''
Haven, I know I would have loved your Grandmother.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock

''Dear Lori,''

''Love,

Helga''

''Dear Lori,

Hi.

Love,

Helga''

When I would say ''You don''t have to use salutations, Helga!'' she''d respond with ''Just because I''m not writing on my Crane''s doesn''t mean I can be crude.''

that''s pretty funny Haven - your grandmother sounds like she was a great woman :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, it doesn''t bother me.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, it doesn''t bother me!
35.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2010 12:08:51 PM
Author: gemgirl
Haven, I know I would have loved your Grandmother.

Date: 4/25/2010 1:15:13 PM
Author: Maevie
that''s pretty funny Haven - your grandmother sounds like she was a great woman :)
Thanks, Gemgirl and Maevie. She was awesome. I hope I''m not being annoying by sharing this photo--but her yahrzeit is coming up and I''m making a photo album for my mom and her brother, and just came across an awesome picture of my grandmother and grandfather holding my mom when she was a baby.
This was circa 1960, so just think--Helga was rocking the IM some forty years after this was taken.
(Helga, my mom, and Fritz:)

HelgaMomFritz.jpg

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Haven, your Grandma looks like one seriously cool lady! Thank you for sharing!
35.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a sweet photo!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven,

Your Grandmother was a beautiful and elegant lady.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually try to throw a name in if I''m responding to someone in particular, but if I''m just making a general comment I wont bother. Sometimes I just quote the post I''m responding to though. And it doesn''t bother me if someone doesn''t address me by my name before responding to one of my posts.

Kay

Ideal_Rock

''Dear Lori,''

''Love,
Helga''

''Dear Lori,

Hi.

Love,
Helga''

I love that, Haven. Your grandmother sounds like a great lady, and what a beauty she was.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results