First of all, I just wanted to say that this site & all your postings have been incredibly helpful in my quest for the perfect e-ring diamond. I just got engaged and my fiance and I found a gorgeous .71 ct ideal cut, J (w/ medium blue flourescence), VS2, EX symm, and EX polish diamond for $1875 (w/ GIA cert). We are very happy with the diamond, especially since we got a great deal on it (thanks to this forum I knew what kind fo price ranges and diamond qualities to look out for
But now, after wearing it for a little over 6 months, I''ve decided that I want to upgrade to a 1ct. diamond. Am I a guy''s worst nightmare or what? But my loving fiance agreed to my upgrade as long as we can find a great deal on it. So I''ve been shopping locally since trade-ins online are scarce, especially if I didn''t buy it from the site. I came across a couple of jewelers that pulled out the Rapaport price list & wanting to buy my diamond for below the price listed!! I know I got a really good deal on my diamond so I shouldn''t expect phenomenal buy prices, but I was also hoping to get a really good trade-in price and below Rapaport prices seems a little low. Am I expecting too high of a price for a trade-in?
What is the price range that I should expect my diamond to be traded in for and how do I go about dealing with jewelers so that I don''t feel like I''m trying to wheel & deal at a car dealer. The last jeweler didn''t even give me a definite trade-in price and told me that it all depends on what I buy! I was also looking at a HOF diamond, and the sales lady told me that in addition to the trade-in, I''d have to pay $7000 more for a 1.08 ct, E SI1. That sounds absurd, right? Sigh, so I''m starting to feel like I am going to be ripped off in the end no matter what.
I''d love to hear any suggestions or advice from all of you. Thanks in advance!