shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

m1155

Rough_Rock
I'm in the process of buying a diamond with the following specs -- but still have time to change my mind and get another stone.

1.70 ct round brilliant H&A, D color VVS2 clarity (nothing visible whatsoever under 10x), measurements 7.76-7.80 x 4.74 mm
GIA cert, depth 60.8%, table 56%, girdle thin-medium, no culet, med. blue fluor, symmetry VG, polish VG
Crown angle 34.6%
Pavillion angle 40.8%
This is a "DeBeers Milennium Diamond," which as far as I can tell just means that it's well-cut and comes with a fancy box. It may or may not warrant some sort of premium on the stone, would love to get opinions on that.

Price is $21600 -- about $12700 per ct. Is this fair? From Pricescope it looks like I could save a little money by buying off the internet, but I'm one of those old-fashioned people who insists on buying things like this in person.

For what it's worth I would ideally like to go slightly higher in size but there seem to be very few well-cut stones available in the 1.7 - 2.0 ct range -- I have seen tons that are subpar.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what the Millenium Diamonds sold for when they first came out so I don't know if this is a good price for that brand as sold in a brick and mortar store. Some dealers, I think, may be trying to get rid of old stock of these diamonds. Not sure.

It is possible that you could buy a similarly cut diamond that is unbranded or other-branded in a brick and mortar store and pay less.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 11:47:35 AM

1.70 ct round brilliant H&A, D color VVS2 clarity (nothing visible whatsoever under 10x), measurements 7.76-7.80 x 4.74 mm
GIA cert, depth 60.8%, table 56%, girdle thin-medium, no culet, med. blue fluor, symmetry VG, polish VG
Crown angle 34.6%
Pavillion angle 40.8%

Sound like a very nice stone. I would question the medium blue Fluor. on a D stone though (and I'm a self proclaimed Blue Fluor lover)

Price is $21600 -- about $12700 per ct. Is this fair?

Sounds high - but this is a very high quality stone.

I'm one of those old-fashioned people who insists on buying things like this in person.

I am also, but I think you may be able to have your cake and eat it too. Some e-diamond dealers will send a stone to a jewelry store for you to look at in the stone. If you are paying a premium for your stone, I would not settle on just one that is "in stock" in the jewelry store. They should bring ones in for you to look at. Also, a good jewelery store selling diamonds will also be on the trade nets - a great way for them to look for a specific stone.

For what it's worth I would ideally like to go slightly higher in size but there seem to be very few well-cut stones available in the 1.7 - 2.0 ct range -- I have seen tons that are subpar.

Have you thought about going to a stone of lesser color standard (like G) or of lesser clarity? No one looks at your stone under a scope. If you keep your %'s to ideal (with verification of crown angle, etc) You could expand your options w/ larger stones. Are you buying the stone solely for investment? ..or will it be mostly for wearing and enjoyment. Good luck.

m1155

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. This is just to wear and enjoy, not for investment. The store in question actually has brought in a number of stones for me to look at, and in fairness my preferences have changed a bit over the 2-3 weeks that I've been working with them. After checking out probably 10+ serious candidates this one, which is from their stock, ended up being the one I liked the most -- to their surprise and mine. I am willing to pay a little bit extra for that, just want to make sure it's not too bad a deal . . .

With regard to the fluoresence, I compared it against a E color stone with no fluoresence in bright sunlight and didn't see any difference -- certainly no oilyness/chalkiness/milkiness. It remained crystal clear, although I also didn't see any of the faint blue glow that I've sometimes heard described. Why does the fluoresence concern you more in a D color stone than it would in something else?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/26/2002 8:51:49 PM

Why does the fluoresence concern you more in a D color stone than it would in something else?

You are probably asking the wrong person as I am a huge fan of Fluor. In the world of diamond dealing, Fluor on a colorless (DEF) stone is discounted. You will have to ask someone more experienced than me as to why - my guess would be it could conflict w/ the brightness of the stone. And, yes the concern is milky, oily stones. Did you take it out in sunlight - that is when you will notice it.

The reason I questioned your choice of such a high graded stone is personal. When we became engaged 20 years ago, quality was of utmost importance (and bought the great stone) It was about 3/4 ct. Most of my friends received 1 ct plus and it was a tad disheartening when people would ogle over their poor quality big stone. I remain steadfast w/ our decision and enjoy the stone reset on my left hand. But, fast forward 20 years, I went for the big stone of good quality. 3.02 ct - I (faces up to H w/ med. to,I think, strong Blue fluor. no milky or oily look in daylight) SI1 (eye clean- no feathers) of premium cut. ...just wanted to make sure you had the opportunity to weigh you options. Go with your personal preference.

good luck.
----------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results