shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy to set Rhodochrosite in a ring...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Is it because it will chip or break easily, or because it will scratch too easily, or all of the above?

I've reserved this one at Cherrypicked: http://cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1097

I want to set it in a diamond pave halo ring (bezel, not prongs), but it's pretty low on the Mohs' scale. So, what does this actually mean, in practical terms? I tried to look it up, but it said it was about a 4.0 on the scale, same as platinum, which I thought was really hard?
33.gif

I would only probably wear it to dinner and on special occassions about three or four times per year. The rest of the time it would sit in its box.

Would I be really asking for trouble to do this?

Who would be a good person to set it? I was thinking Leon Mege?

Also, I don't want to make it a pendant because I really don't like necklaces and never wear them (I find them very uncomfortable and have broken a dozen or more in years past by forgetting I have them on, till I finally just gave up on them).

I don't want to leave it unset. The whole reason I'm buying it is because 1.) it looks gorgeous, and 2.) my grandfather discovered rhodochrosite in the Andes mountains in Argentina. The stuff we have all over the house looks like pink marble. This piece I want to get is much nicer, from the Sweet Home Mine in Colorado.

So, any experts out there care to weigh in on my questions?

Thanks a bunch!

Best,
LizzyD

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The transparent crystal is really beautiful, and the stone you have selected looks great! If you are careful and cautious and selective about when you wear it, I''d say go for it, and Mege would be a good choice for having it set.

Due to the 4 Mohs hardness...the stone will scratch very easily, so you should rinse it with water to remove any dust before cleaning it with a soft cloth (avoid polishing cloths with rouge in them) because common dust is largely silicon which has a Mohs of about 7.

Interesting comment about your grandfather - I guess that was in the early 40''s in the San Luis area of Argentina...cool!
emsmiled.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone and so cool about your grandfather. I will be interested to hear what Leon says about setting it. A bezeled halo sounds like a great way to go!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as long as you know the risks, take care of AND can find a jeweler who will take on the project [some just don''t like working on certain stones], why not? its a lovely stone.

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lizzy.. I asked a similar question here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhodocrosite-any-way-to-mount-it-in-a-ring.30072/=

...and was VERY discouraged with the answers! ACstones puts them in the "collector" catagory which generally means it's less suitable for jewelry.

Apparently it's difficult to cut in the first place, and tricky to mount as well.

I sure know where you're coming from, though. I think the clear faceted stones are to die for.

If I were you, I'd stick to a pendant...

widget

ETA: I just noticed that you've reserved the cherrypicked stone!!! How exciting! Have you talked to Richard about mounting it in a ring? I'd STRONGLY recommend having cherrypicked mount it for you...then you'd be protected if there was a mishap. Also, I'd be surpirsed if someone like Leon Mege would want to deal with such a tricky gemstone.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 4:43:28 PM
Author: widget
Hi Lizzy.. I asked a similar question here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rhodocrosite-any-way-to-mount-it-in-a-ring.30072/=

...and was VERY discouraged with the answers! ACstones puts them in the ''collector'' catagory which generally means it''s less suitable for jewelry.

Apparently it''s difficult to cut in the first place, and tricky to mount as well.

I sure know where you''re coming from, though. I think the clear faceted stones are to die for.

If I were you, I''d stick to a pendant...

widget

ETA: I just noticed that you''ve reserved the cherrypicked stone!!! How exciting! Have you talked to Richard about mounting it in a ring? I''d STRONGLY recommend having cherrypicked mount it for you...then you''d be protected if there was a mishap. Also, I''d be surpirsed if someone like Leon Mege would want to deal with such a tricky gemstone.
i agree that this is very very good advice!

movie zombie

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all very much fro your thoughts. I''m embarrassed to say I didn''t know Richard could/would set it. I really like the Leon style. Does Richard do custom, or would I have to find a stock setting? I''d ask Richard, but they''re on vavation till the 17th.

Also, what''s the best metal to set it in? I''m a white metal girl, so I assume it would have to be white gold or platinum? But which is better in terms of one that causes the least amount of stress on the stone while it''s being worked on (least risk of hurting the stone)? And, can I get the pave halo I want?

Thanks again.

Best,

LizzyD

widget

Ideal_Rock
I had them mount my pad. In my case it was a simple three stone basket setting and I wasn''t much involved in the design. But I got the impression they can have anything done you want, and will work with you on the design.

I don''t think CP has their own inhouse benchman, but contract the job out to jewelers who specialize in the kind of mounting (antique style, for instance) you want. Since they''re located in the middle of the NY Diamond District, I''m sure they have access to and use the finest craftsmen.

Keep us posted! I''m SO interested to hear how this works out!!!!
3.gif

widget

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Widget - can you post a pic of your pad? (picture whore that I am, any excuse for eye candy
31.gif
).

No, seriously, I''d like to see any example of what they can have done.

What are the chances he''s send it to Leon for me?

Best,
LizzyD

widget

Ideal_Rock
Sure! (I love an excuse to post my goodies
5.gif
)

I have no idea about their sending it to Leon....you''ll just have to ask..

0jy7517.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
BTW....I think this is REALLY INTERESTING:
Author: DiamondExpert
you should rinse it with water to remove any dust before cleaning it with a soft cloth (avoid polishing cloths with rouge in them) because common dust is largely silicon which has a Mohs of about 7.
Maybe we should rinse off ALL our jewelry before cleaning it with a soft cloth. I noticed in my trusty Smithsonian handbook that Gold has a hardness of 2.5, and platinum: 4 !!!!
23.gif

(I think I have more respect for common dust now...)

widget

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 1:55:54 PM
Author: widget
BTW....I think this is REALLY INTERESTING:

Author: DiamondExpert
you should rinse it with water to remove any dust before cleaning it with a soft cloth (avoid polishing cloths with rouge in them) because common dust is largely silicon which has a Mohs of about 7.
Maybe we should rinse off ALL our jewelry before cleaning it with a soft cloth. I noticed in my trusty Smithsonian handbook that Gold has a hardness of 2.5, and platinum: 4 !!!!
23.gif

(I think I have more respect for common dust now...)

widget

9.gif
10.gif
indeed...

Thanks for posting the pad. It''s beautiful!

BTW, Widget, may I just say, I love your rings. I''ve absolutely been in love with every single one you''ve posted. And you''re so modest about them too. If that were my collection (and I knew how to post pics) I would be SUCH a thread hog with pics of my collection.
36.gif
36.gif

Best,
LizzyD

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
If you haven't asked CP to do your ring for you, you might want to consider talking to Ben Kho. I believe he's fairly well known for working with rhodochrosite (looking through old awards at http://agta.org). If he doesn't take on custom work himself, he might be able to tell you who he would trust to set it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Good idea, Kismet....I just wonder if he deals directlly with customers. Maybe he could be reached through acstones.com...I know his rhodos show up there occasionally...

BTW, Widget, may I just say, I love your rings. I''ve absolutely been in love with every single one you''ve posted. And you''re so modest about them too. If that were my collection (and I knew how to post pics) I would be SUCH a thread hog with pics of my collection.
36.gif
36.gif
How sweet, Lizzy!!! (I only just now noticed this comment) Thanks!!!!
1.gif

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results