shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I being ripped off?

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
So I am in the market for an engagement ring and am completely in the dark.

My girlfriend found a jeweler who showed her this diamond. I have not seen it, but she said it was ‘eye clean’ the diamond was a ‘unicorn’ because of its ratio. Would appreciate any insight!
Asking $32k
2FA04DF2-DFA0-4CC8-97B4-9F5C587EE7E0.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can’t really tell with fancies like radiants from the certificate alone. Ideally you want pictures, video and imaging (ASET and IS) to show light return and appearance. Personally I would not pay $32k for an I1 clarity stone with additional pinpoints, clouds and surface graining on top of what is plottable. It sounds like it will be a big dull stone.. when the point of diamonds is to sparkle, buying something so included with inclusions that look likely to impair light return doesn’t seem right.
Have you seen this stone? Has your fiancée seen it away from the special jewellery store lights that make everything look good?
What is your and her priority here?

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
You can’t really tell with fancies like radiants from the certificate alone. Ideally you want pictures, video and imaging (ASET and IS) to show light return and appearance. Personally I would not pay $32k for an I1 clarity stone with additional pinpoints, clouds and surface graining on top of what is plottable. It sounds like it will be a big dull stone.. when the point of diamonds is to sparkle, buying something so included with inclusions that look likely to impair light return doesn’t seem right.
Have you seen this stone? Has your fiancée seen it away from the special jewellery store lights that make everything look good?
What is your and her priority here?
No only in the jewelry store. I agree. I was uncomfortable with the clarity rating.
She likes radiant and emerald cuts on a solitaire platinum band
I think 3 carat or above with a budget of 27-30k

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Not an expert but I would personally rather have a smaller diamond, even 1 carat less for something a bit cleaner (SI2 / SI1 higher clarity stones would likely be out of your already generous budget). Also the thin gold band may seem to little and overly simple for such a big stone, the ring may feel "unbalanced" (speaking of looks)

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
Not an expert but I would personally rather have a smaller diamond, even 1 carat less for something a bit cleaner (SI2 / SI1 higher clarity stones would likely be out of your already generous budget). Also the thin gold band may seem to little and overly simple for such a big stone, the ring may feel "unbalanced" (speaking of looks)

do you or anyone have an opinion on emerald v radiant ?
Can use all the help !

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lower stone is not one I'd consider at all. It looks really leaky. The upper stone really needs a video, but I share others serious caution in considering a I-rated stone. If you are seriously considering this, I would first call David at Diamonds by Lauren to see what he can source in your budget.

Something like this, although below budget and size, it a much better option. I'm sure DBL could find you others.

This is the "crushed ice" style or radiant. They also come in 'crisp facets' and I'd make sure you and your girl know which kind she prefers.

This one, also not meeting your spec, has crips facets. You can see the pattern within the stone.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Both those stones look like losers! They are poorly cut. Emerald and radiants are two different cuts.. Not everyone likes the step cut patterning of an emerald cut. Is it the rectangular shape she really likes?

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Oooohhh... I'm actually a happy owner of I1 stones but they are all under 2 carats and none cost over 3.5K. If you're going to spend that sort of money, I'd go smaller for cleaner. Inclusions would be more obvious the bigger the stone and there's no way of knowing from the GIA report if the inclusions are white or black. They may not show up in photos but once you see one, you can't unsee it.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some educational video about radiants.

If she likes the Emerald cut, I'd look at Brian Gavin who has the only super-ideal EC on the market (that I'm aware of). You probably would need to get a custom cut for this size range, but posting a link to show what a high-performing EC should look like.

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
All of this is incredible helpful. When considering clarity on an emerald Vs a radiant are their any recommended grades for either ? To maximize value etc

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of this is incredible helpful. When considering clarity on an emerald Vs a radiant are their any recommended grades for either ? To maximize value etc
Ecs show flaws more than Radiants, but several members have SI2 ECs. To me, either you have to educate your eyes or work with a trusted vendor. Also, the type of inclusion is as important. It's a learning curve, but you'll get it! For me, cavities, knots are always a no below VVs...and maybe even then. Clouds at SI1 need careful careful review, rarely will I consider below SI1. My preferences, but likely not everyones!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Generally, you need to go higher on clarity for emerald cuts as it’s not “brilliant”. I would definitely go eye clean for radiant. I love emerald cuts, but prefer the extra sparkle a radiant has. Emerald cuts are understated and classic. Depends on her style. I would ask her outright what her preference would be since she will be wearing it. Best of luck!

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
I personally prefer radiant, I feel like the larger table of an emerald cut may show inclusions more. Again not an expert

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can do better for the clarity rating and your price point, granted it is a large stone so carat weight for that price is great but as stated above the clarity is worrisome. I would keep looking

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Shopping for diamonds in the lower clarity ranges can be a good way to get excellent value. But pay close attention to the report. The grade setting characteristics are listed first under keys to symbols. If the stone has potential transparency reducing features such as twinning wisps, clouds, graining listed first and also noted in the comments section, there is elevated concern that the diamond will suffer significant light perfomance deficits.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, Rhino is the guy that produced the videos that Rocky posted. He now has a company called August Vintage and specializes in some unique cuts and also offers a concierge service.

I really like his big cushion cut style of yesteryear.

Dropping a link in case you are interested.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally i wouldn't ever consider buying an I1 clarity emerald cut stone in such a big size. This is a big purchase and for your budget i would definitely search for a higher clarity stone. What does your girlfriend think of all this? Does she like it? Keep in mind that sometimes a girl's excitement about her upcoming engagement and about getting a diamond, make her take decisions in a rush and it's only after the purchase that she realises that she shouldn't have hurried and bought the first stone that somebody showed her, just because it was big and impressive at first sight.
Good luck!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the long run she will be very unhappy with a dull pitted snowball of a ring. Take your time and listen to the recommendations here. I would love a 4 ct ring but it’s not in the budget. Stay within your budget and get the best possible recommendation regardless of size.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you decided on a direction?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to clarify if she like Radiant or Emerald Cuts coz there is a BIG difference is style and look. I think Radiant's hide flaws better, EC needs to be cleaner due to the faceting. I'd go smaller - better quality stone personally.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Radiants would definitely hide flaws better so you could get away with white needles, pinpoints and crystals, no problem. With an Emerald, you can get away with a couple of those inclusions if they aren't on the table but they probably will affect the stone's performance, and they will be noticeable the bigger the stone. Emerald and Asschers are amazing when clear and well cut and you get that amazing hall of mirrors effect... I am aiming for an Asscher one day but this is the one type of stone I will be going VS1 or above!
Also, as everyone else has mentioned, they are very different styles.

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
Personally i wouldn't ever consider buying an I1 clarity emerald cut stone in such a big size. This is a big purchase and for your budget i would definitely search for a higher clarity stone. What does your girlfriend think of all this? Does she like it? Keep in mind that sometimes a girl's excitement about her upcoming engagement and about getting a diamond, make her take decisions in a rush and it's only after the purchase that she realises that she shouldn't have hurried and bought the first stone that somebody showed her, just because it was big and impressive at first sight.
Good luck!!!
You could not be more correct!

Devonian222

Rough_Rock
So I think she
Have you decided on a direction?
started to understand name into agreement with everyone here. Yes it’s a big stone but the clarity is not acceptable. She feels the sun 3 carats emerald and radiant seem to small and is thinks now round the best option. Hopefully her changing her mind a lot doesn’t extend to the marriage ‍♂️

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
So I think she

started to understand name into agreement with everyone here. Yes it’s a big stone but the clarity is not acceptable. She feels the sun 3 carats emerald and radiant seem to small and is thinks now round the best option. Hopefully her changing her mind a lot doesn’t extend to the marriage ‍♂

Dear OP, a 3 carat too small? I see a life of upgrades, my friend.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear OP, a 3 carat too small? I see a life of upgrades, my friend.
Agreed. But, I'm also surprised. In general, ECs and Radiants face up larger for their weight than rounds.

But, with her focus on size, I'd stick with Whiteflash, HighPerformanceDiamonds, or Victor Canera due to their upgrade programs. The good news is that choosing a round is way easier than a fancy shape. Let us know if you want help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results