shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternatives to CvB Inspired Design for non-traditional engagement ring

sinister-birds

Rough_Rock
I may be jumping the gun on this a bit, but in the process of engagement ring shopping and looking for advice/help.

Background:

She wants something non-traditional and has a taste for what I'd label (maybe not perfectly) aesthetics that verge on Edwardian and Art Deco. For allergy reasons needs to be platinum and no nickel especially. Top gem choices being green-peacock sapphire or maybe a marigold orange-yellow sapphire if there's a way to darken platinum (or maybe something else if it really works design-wise). We both like settings that show off metal, including patterns, embellishments, or texture & workmanship, with the gem and aren't just using the ring to display the stone. She's a fan of geometric stone cuts like hexagons, shields/pentagrams, traditional emerald cut, baguettes, etc. I've also noticed she seems to like the hybrid bezel + pointy prong settings, but doubt that's really a must.

Top CvB designs for us are:
It seems like reaching CvB is basically through text, email, and Instagram (which I don't have). I texted a few days ago, emailed the day after, and have gotten radio silence. I'm a little unsure what expectations should be - I sort of expected at least an automatic reply like "we're quite busy, please know we've received your inquiry and will contact you within a few days." But having come across threads here, I'm developing that impression that I shouldn't expect to hear back, and if I do, I might be looking at something that takes longer than 6 months, which is a longer timeline than I'm hoping for.

That being the case I'm trying to figure out where to turn for a ring. There seem to be a few challenges with this, not aided by the fact that I can't figure out how to make Google helpful: the single largest problem is that it's just hard for me to find designers/jewelers - search isn't helpful, it mostly returns the same few stores or publications that are all making what I consider relatively generic rings. The second is that what alternatives I find don't seem to reliably do work in platinum. The third is that it seems like alternatives are often much more expensive. (I'd hoped to stay around $5k, could stretch to $7k.) I could imagine something from Michael Endlich from what I've come across so far, but not sure I'd feel confident, or what kind of price tag that'd end up with. I'd also like to avoid going to someone else and being like "we really like this work from another studio," I feel like if you value artistry, you shouldn't be asking someone to keep somebody else's work in mind.

So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on where/how to look. Don't want either of us to feel disappointed or like one of us settled, and I'm sure there's something out there. Thank you so much!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds extremely doable - however, I think the first thing is to find the colored stone you want and work backwards from there. Can you show me specific color she likes and then I think we should work backwards for there.

sinister-birds

Rough_Rock
On a purely color basis (not cut) there are some I know she likes:

https://sennineskojewelry.com/colle...ts/1-5-carat-hazel-sapphire-hexagon-7-8x5-8mm

I could find more, but I'd say she likes rich and deep color that's not overly dark, usually green or blue-green, but sometimes others. as seen with orange-yellow marigold and minty green ones.

Thanks for looking!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Sapphire, bezel, and art deco….what about a target setting?

Ivy and Rose has a beautiful target setting, and it is reasonable. You’d need to find a center stone but I’m sure the forum could help.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
What if you got a cheap-ish temporary setting and then worked on the CvB setting at a later date? From my experience, if your heart is set on a specific design, nothing else will do, and you’ll eventually just go get that thing anyway. Might as well cut to the chase.
Also, you might like some of these designs as a CvB alternative (but not cheap/temporary): https://instagram.com/thenorthwaystudio?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

M

maru8888777

On a purely color basis (not cut) there are some I know she likes:

https://sennineskojewelry.com/colle...ts/1-5-carat-hazel-sapphire-hexagon-7-8x5-8mm

I could find more, but I'd say she likes rich and deep color that's not overly dark, usually green or blue-green, but sometimes others. as seen with orange-yellow marigold and minty green ones.

Thanks for looking!

Has she seen the teals in person? Montana sapphires and teal sapphires can be very moody and dark... beautiful in their own ways, but, in real life, they don't often look the way they do in photos. From those vendors, I know Sennin Esko and Gemfix are reputable (don't know the others, they could be too, I just don't know them).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire, bezel, and art deco….what about a target setting?

I love these -- and the example in your OP. They would not last a year for us. (Trying to design a target pendant for my spouse on another thread -- in part for this reason.)

If you are young(ish) and/or active and plan to stay married for many years (!) and this is a 24/7 ring, then I strongly recommend diamond in a robust setting.

I was late to the colored-stone thing and once my spouse had a beautiful RHR with a fine sapphire, I would tell anyone who would listen how I wish I had started with a sapphire e-ring. Fast-forward a few years and that sapphire RHR had taken a beating. Delicate deco platinum filigree and bullet diamonds had taken some hits and the sapphire had eye-visible abrasions at all the facet meet-points. In contrast, her diamond solitaire sitting high in a simple knife-edge was perfect after two decades of daily wear.

For non-traditional, you can go low or very low color for diamond -- which is my current plan.

I would save the super-intricate design and colored stone for the RHR. It is staggering how much harder diamond is than even corundum.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be jumping the gun on this a bit, but in the process of engagement ring shopping and looking for advice/help.

Background:

She wants something non-traditional and has a taste for what I'd label (maybe not perfectly) aesthetics that verge on Edwardian and Art Deco. For allergy reasons needs to be platinum and no nickel especially. Top gem choices being green-peacock sapphire or maybe a marigold orange-yellow sapphire if there's a way to darken platinum (or maybe something else if it really works design-wise). We both like settings that show off metal, including patterns, embellishments, or texture & workmanship, with the gem and aren't just using the ring to display the stone. She's a fan of geometric stone cuts like hexagons, shields/pentagrams, traditional emerald cut, baguettes, etc. I've also noticed she seems to like the hybrid bezel + pointy prong settings, but doubt that's really a must.

It seems like reaching CvB is basically through text, email, and Instagram (which I don't have). I texted a few days ago, emailed the day after, and have gotten radio silence. I'm a little unsure what expectations should be - I sort of expected at least an automatic reply like "we're quite busy, please know we've received your inquiry and will contact you within a few days." But having come across threads here, I'm developing that impression that I shouldn't expect to hear back, and if I do, I might be looking at something that takes longer than 6 months, which is a longer timeline than I'm hoping for.

That being the case I'm trying to figure out where to turn for a ring. There seem to be a few challenges with this, not aided by the fact that I can't figure out how to make Google helpful: the single largest problem is that it's just hard for me to find designers/jewelers - search isn't helpful, it mostly returns the same few stores or publications that are all making what I consider relatively generic rings. The second is that what alternatives I find don't seem to reliably do work in platinum. The third is that it seems like alternatives are often much more expensive. (I'd hoped to stay around $5k, could stretch to $7k.) I could imagine something from Michael Endlich from what I've come across so far, but not sure I'd feel confident, or what kind of price tag that'd end up with. I'd also like to avoid going to someone else and being like "we really like this work from another studio," I feel like if you value artistry, you shouldn't be asking someone to keep somebody else's work in mind.

So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on where/how to look. Don't want either of us to feel disappointed or like one of us settled, and I'm sure there's something out there. Thank you so much!

Geologic spectrum, gemfix, and sennin are all very reputable. I agree with finding the stone first and then working backwards

Crochet_Sparkles

Rough_Rock
Precious Ghost jewelry (www.preciousghost.com) has that geometric style you like and lots and lots of lovely stones. Sarah (the owner) is lovely to work with.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I think others have also had good experiences with the Northway Studio. Check out their website. Some of the designs have a similar aesthetic to CVB.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any experience with them but green lake jewelry has that kind of aesthetic and does a lot of sapphire rings

sinister-birds

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice and help so far everyone! Definitely some things worth looking through.

Following up on the "find a stone first" bit, any suggested sources for hexagon-shaped green gems with high hardness?

RE green sapphire, I have noticed in videos that there are many green sapphires with moody/odd behavior that leaves dark sections at various angles. But she still seems to like them. I've wondered quite a bit why yellow and blue ones don't seem to do the same thing (and not all green ones seem to either).

M

maru8888777

Thanks for all the advice and help so far everyone! Definitely some things worth looking through.

Following up on the "find a stone first" bit, any suggested sources for hexagon-shaped green gems with high hardness?

RE green sapphire, I have noticed in videos that there are many green sapphires with moody/odd behavior that leaves dark sections at various angles. But she still seems to like them. I've wondered quite a bit why yellow and blue ones don't seem to do the same thing (and not all green ones seem to either).

I think some of the jewelers suggested (Northway, Green Lake, Precious Ghost) might be able to source something like that for you.
That orange shield sapphire linked above (the gemfix one) is gorgeous.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

Background:

Try Sholdt - https://www.sholdtdesign.com/ or https://www.instagram.com/sholdtjewelers/?hl=en

or Cicada Designs - https://www.instagram.com/cjd_sako/?hl=en

I also love Cheyenne Weill for truly alternative designs - https://www.instagram.com/cheyenneweiljewelry/?hl=en

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For settings, Erika Winters has some chunky angular designs similar to what you posted.

I haven't bought anything from the brand and I am unsure whether they set outside stones. I can see a lot of 'odd' shaped stones working in her settings.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
I may be late to this but are you on reddit? There's a sub called r/shinypreciousgems which features cool cuts and many different types of stones from a few talented lapidaries (Michele Mai, Jim Buday, Lisa Elser). While they all do custom cuts and lab stones too, Michele and Jim also do custom settings.

I suggest checking out the subreddit or their instas (#mvmgems for Michele, #shinypreciousgems for Jim, #lisaelsergems for Lisa). They've posted incredible pieces and many would be in your budget. I've only worked with Lisa and she was a joy!

All the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results